January 2015 30 Day Rule/30 Day Focus Pic and Discussion Thread- All are Welcome

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Bama Samurai, Dec 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

"...and the American Dream, Dusty Rhodes is coming down to Charlotte. I am looking for you Ric Flair...and I am gonna get funky like a monkey!!"

TrentRTR likes this.
  2. jakie55

jakie55 Well-Known Member

So this is day one of my days off, therefor I did not shave last night, but did so this afternoon. My main reason is the war department ( an old uncle's name for his wife) decided that she liked the goatee, so in order to fulfill the happy wife-happy life mantra, I am starting to regrow the goatee. 36 hours of not shaving gives a better set of whiskers to delineate the goatee line. As to the shave, a DFS, with no nicks, and so simple, with just the cheeks and neck. PS day 23 of 30

3. txskimo

txskimo Well-Known Member

Day 17 & 18
    Prep: None
    Brush: Van Der Hagen (the one from the premium kit)
    Soap: Van Der Hagen Luxury
    Blade: Hill Country (rebranded Personna)
    Razor: Edwin Jagger DE89
    Post: Gillette Fusion ProSeries Intense Cooling Aftershave Lotion

As some others have said last night I just went in carelessly. Over confidence led me to believe I could shave my head in a matter of minutes with no problems. Well what an idiot I was. Only nicked myself a couple of times but the irritation was horrible not to mention all the patchy spots on my head. I decided to put the razor down last night and focus on setting the time aside today for a proper shave.

Ok so I just got done with shave number 18 and man what a difference it was. I changed the blades out but more importantly I didn't focus on getting done within a certain time. The sad part is I probably spent the same amount of time as yesterday the only difference is I was trying to do speedy passes.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2015
  4. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Plans for January 23, 2015

On day 22 of my 30-day journey, I plan to use my Mongoose loaded with a Feather Pro blade and my Kent BK4 brush. All of the shaves this week have been great! I appreciate all the encouragement from everyone!

photo.jpg

SOTD_012315.jpg

5. TrentRTR

TrentRTR Well-Known Member

Shave 14 of 30 day BSG
    Shower - Hot Shower
    Prep - Warm Water Splash
    Razor - Parker 99R
    Blade - Wilkinson Swords Classic
    Brush - Parker Rosewood Boar Brush
    Soap - Proraso Eucalyptus and Menthol Soap
    Post - Cold Water Rinse/Crystal Deodorant/Real Shaving Co. Post Shave Soothing Balm

After blading like I was Dusty Rhodes or Abdullah the Butcher last night, tonights performance was more like Gordon Solie absolutely professional all the way. There was 2 full passes WTG, XTG, a few touchups and done. Honestly, my nose still tender and I didnt come anywhere near that spot tonight lol. Good shave tonight.

6. Spit_Fire

Spit_Fire Well-Known Member

SOTD 21/22 - 30 Day Rule:

Prep: Shower, Proraso PreShave
    Soap: Arko
    Blade: 7'oclock SharpEdge (yellow)
    Razor: Ball End Tech
    Brush: 24mm WD Black Badger

1 WTG, 1 XTG - Very nice again. Still cold water.

7. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

A simple prep could be washing your face with Noxzema, you'd be surprised how much of a different it will make. A jar of Noxzema can be found at any drug store for under $5, it's good for your skin, and it has a little bit of a menthonol kick.

jakie55, Drygulch, clint64 and 3 others like this.
  8. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

1/22/15 - BSG - RESET Day 17
    Prep - Hot Shower, towel soak
    Brush - Omega 48
    Soap - Proraso Green
    Razor - '46/'47 Aristocrat
    Blade - Voskhod (2)
    Post - RazoRock Alum Stick & A/V Ice Blue

Took my time with a 3 pass today. Was actually in the mood to stretch it out. Loaded Proraso from the tub and bowl lathered . Very happy with the blade and razor. Smooth as silk and I ended very near the baby again but didn't do any final touch ups after the third pass as I was satisfied. Alum told me I was a bit rough on the neck in a couple of spots but not bad. Eight days left and I feel like I'm just coasting along. Great feeling.

Reset BSG Day 17.jpg

9. txskimo

txskimo Well-Known Member

I'll give it a shot, I need to pick up another puck of VDG Luxury anyways lol

10. WhiskerWhacker

WhiskerWhacker Well-Known Member

01/22 – Day 22 of the 30 Day Rule - Shave #19 with the Weishi

Objective: Survive a month using low end entry level products.
    • Growth: 1 day
    • Prep: Shower; Corn Huskers Lotion
    • Lather: Arko – Face lathered
    • Brush: Escali Badger
    • Razor: Weishi 9306/Microtouch One
    • Blade: Derby Extra (3)
    Today’s Results: A little under the weather but got through the day’s shave without issue. Had a very nice 2 pass DFS.

11. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Day 20 of 30
    30 DAY RULE with a Slim

image.jpg

J2 Gillette Slim Adjustable
    Kroger Israeli Personna
    VDH Kit Badger
    TSD Lanolin Shave Stick - Barber Shoppe Scent
    Today's Great Cheap AS™ is Stetson!

Just finished at 23:22. Still have not missed a day! Lab report later!

I am still very seriously behind on TSD reading today! Hope everyone has a great Friday!

12. maltedmilk

maltedmilk Well-Known Member

Article Team
    Day 23
    my 30-day focus
    razor: Ever Ready 1924 SE
    blade: Personna GEM teflon coated (4)
    brush: TGN boar knot in a custom handle
    soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat
    finish: HolyRollah's awesome DIY balm >here<

Another mediocre shave. Sure, I caught the baby but paid a higher price than I consider normal. Unlike yesterday, I was paying attention. I think it may have been the blade. Once again, I may have taken a blade one shave too far. However, unless I lost count, this was only the fourth shave on this blade! Mayhap the extra, early smoothness from corking the blade removes a shave from the back end. :signs002:

OR... maybe I am still burdened by operator error! I just don't think so, though: I've gotten some very nice shaves from this razor over the past 23 days! I confess to occasional heavy handedness or flaking out during a shave, but usually recognize it after it happens.

I'm going with the blade as root cause on this one. I'll swap for a newly corked blade this weekend and see if I can maintain a little consistency in my technique.

NOTE: There is still the option of lowering my expectations for how close I can shave with the ER 1924. Since my overall goal is to maximize total shaving enjoyment, I would likely bench the 1924 and let him in the game only when the team is 50 points ahead. <sigh>

TrentRTR, Troy M, wristwatchb and 9 others like this.
  13. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

SOTD
    January 23, 2015
    Day 3 of Tiki Soap
    Prep: Hot shower. Axe Shield Face Wash
    Razor: RazoRock Stealth Slant
    Blade: Rapira Platinum Lux
    Brush: L'Occitane Plisson
    Lather: Tiki Soap Salty Air
    Aftershave: Fine Platinum
    All three Tiki Soaps were outstanding! Salty Air is reminds of the ocean, kelp. Great post shave. 3 pass DFS. Rapira PL are a good blade. RRSS continues provide the best shaves I've ever had.
    Go out and get it!
    image.jpg

14. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

1/23/2015 30 Day - Shave # 23

Prep - Hot Shower
    Razor - Mongoose Satin B2
    Blade - Kai Mild (5)
    Brush - Rubberset 400 with WSP HMW
    Lather - Soap Commander Confidence
    Post - Witch Hazel and CC Bay Rum AS

[​IMG]

This is the 23 shave of my month spent learning to use the Mongoose Razor. I am still trying to end up with a near BBS 2 pass shave for work mornings. With today's 2 pass shave and touch up, I think I am getting really close to my goal. As usual the Soap Commander proved easy to use providing enough lather for a 4 or 5 pass shave. I must say, I'm getting a little tired of the scent after 23 straight days. Hope you have a great weekend.

15. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

January 23rd SOTD (Shave 17 of the challenge)
    Prep: Hot shower
    Razor & Blade: '63 Gillette Slim and Gillette Platinum
    Two Day's growth
    First shave on this blade, Stroped 30 times per edge
    Setting 8 on first pass, 9 on second and thrid pass plus buffing
    Brush & Bowl: Semogue 1460 brush and soup bowl
    Soap: Maggard Orange Menthol
    Post Shave: Cold water rinse, alum block, Maggard Orange Menthol aftershave

Took some time today, and caught the baby! This is the most wide open I have set this razor, and I am pretty happy with it. Some burn with the alum block, but no cuts or weepers. I took probably 15 minutes to shave this morning, which is about five minutes longer than normal. Was very aware of pressure, because I could feel the blade more.

After I shaved, I told my wife, "Best shave ever." and grinned at her. She looked at me like I was crazy, and said, "I am trying to get ready, and I don't want to touch your face. Go faceterbate." I shouldn't have told her that term...

16. Spit_Fire

Spit_Fire Well-Known Member

SOTD 23 - 30 Day Rule:

Prep: Shower, Proraso PreShave
    Soap: Arko
    Blade: 7'oclock SharpEdge (yellow)
    Razor: Ball End Tech
    Brush: 24mm WD Black Badger

1 WTG, 1 ATG - Very nice again. Still cold water. I ended up chasing the baby a bit and got a couple weapers under my nose. All together still a good shave.

TrentRTR, Troy M, wristwatchb and 8 others like this.
  17. Seabs

Seabs Well-Known Member

I have failed in my current 30 day challenge - my excuse is that I'm new to safety shaving and finding a fun combo. I wish I could shave more than once every other day and explore the possibilities!
    SOTD - I think I'm close to 22 days
    Prep: Hot shower
    Razor & Blade: Ikon 102 plus Merkur blade
    2 day's growth

I have to say that I am focusing on technique quite diligently and getting better every shave. Other than the small nick on my chin first pass, I really love the way the ikon slate 102 glides across my face. A little more aggressive than the Merkur progress at setting 3 has been, but not as bad as the Old Style open comb I butchered my face with! AoS preshave oil + AoS Lavender cream treated me right. Can I just say that the styptic pencil is a godsend! Stopped that bleeding straight away with no scab on face.

With my inability to stick to one setup, I'll need a recommendation on where to post my SOTD with random setups.

TrentRTR, Troy M, wristwatchb and 8 others like this.
  18. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Here is this weeks thread. There is a new thread each week for the SOTD

http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/sos-january-19-2015-january-25-2015.42687/

19. Seabs

Seabs Well-Known Member

20. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

You didn't fail as long as you learned! Sounds like you picked up some skills and hey, if you gotta play with the other toys you gotta play with the other toys!! I think a lot of us get that around here. LOL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.