January 2015 30 Day Rule/30 Day Focus Pic and Discussion Thread- All are Welcome

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Bama Samurai, Dec 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

January 25 Plans

On day 24, I plan to use my Mongoose loaded with a Feather Pro blade (day 7) and my Kent BK4 brush. All of the shaves this week have been great (no nics or irritation), and I look forward to changing up my kit in a week or so.

I hope you all have a wonderful Sunday.

SOTD012515.jpg

2. maltedmilk

maltedmilk Well-Known Member

Article Team
    Day 24
    my 30-day focus
    razor: Ever Ready 1924 SE RazoRock Little Bastone
    blade: Ladas (1)
    brush: Omega 10098
    soap: Fume
    finish: tuxxdk's awesome DIY splash >here<

I almost skipped shaving today (busy morning and I didn't want to rush the shave), but decided to shave in the evening. In fact, I shaved so late that I will likely have to skip tomorrow. I had planned to keep with the ER 1924, but was reading up on slants (yeah, thanks a lot, Kerry! The RRSS is out, so... :prrr:). Reading the many slant reviews really got me thinking about "the shave" and seriously jonesing for something other than the ER 1924. Something more efficient!

I almost went with the FaTip Grande, but have had less driving time with the Little Bastone. It was the first time I've used a Ladas blade. The first pass was crazy good. I could have walked away with a DFS+, but... baby chaser that I am... I made a second light pass and added a few touchup strokes. The shave was just a couple of weepers shy of perfect!

I haven't decided if I am going to call my 30 day focus complete a week early. I think I've really gotten the intended benefit. I certainly improved my technique with the ER 1924. I used to use it and then clean up with a Schick injector. I can skip the injector now and still catch a BBS(rf). However, I am also clarifying my idea of maximum shaving enjoyment. The contrast shaves with the EJ DE89 and RR Little Bastone really illuminated the ER 1924's shaving properties.

Though it saddens me on a couple of levels, I am relegating the 1924 to second string. I love that it is a SE, its history, and its aesthetics. However, I reluctantly find that I can more easily get a BBS with less total effort when I use other razors.

<sigh>

On second thought, I realize I have made my decision. My 30-day focus is done a week early. I am already looking forward to another run of today's setup. I wonder how long it will be before I bring out the ER 1924 again? I bet I buy a slant first!

This has been a really good experience. Good luck for those riding it on out. I'll see you in SOTD (and may post a comment or three here, too, before it all wraps).

3. youngunn

youngunn Where's my TSD aftershave balm???

Gentlemen

I am ending the 30 day early. I have only been shaving every 3 days, just haven't been feeling well and energy level is low.

My conclusions.

Shaving with a straight razor was my challenge. I believe I rose to the challenge and was able to grow comfortable enough with the technique that I can get a close smooth shave with no problems. I also have concluded that I now prefer straights to safety razors.

I was also working on building lather. What I found is that it varies widely from soap to soap. So having 10 to 15 soaps and having to learn the proper water ratio for each well, that's gonna take a while.

Keep calm and shave on, gents.

4. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

We who change-stuff-every-time-we-shave welcome you back.

clint64, RaZorBurn123, Troy M and 2 others like this.
  5. Spit_Fire

Spit_Fire Well-Known Member

Yeah maybe I should do a test, thanks I hadn't really even thought about that.

Bama Samurai and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  6. jakie55

jakie55 Well-Known Member

This was day 25 of 30. The shave was leisurely, 3 pass, N-S, XTG, S-N The resulting shave was right around DFS. Maybe a touch under, but not CCS. There was no bite to the witch hazel, or old spice. All in all, a very workable result. I must admit, I am loooking forward to using another razor, but that will be after day 30. I want to see if the blade will continue another 5 days, to give me one month on one blade.

7. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

@Darkbulb misses you...

youngunn likes this.
  8. TrentRTR

TrentRTR Well-Known Member

Shave 15 of 30 day BSG
    Shower - Hot Shower
    Prep - Warm Water Splash
    Razor - Parker 99R
    Blade - Wilkinson Swords Classic
    Brush - Parker Rosewood Boar Brush
    Soap - Proraso Eucalyptus and Menthol Soap
    Post - Cold Water Rinse/Crystal Deodorant/Clubman

Another 2 pass shave tonight. My neck is a little tender so just WTG, XTG with touch ups above the neck. Nose has started to heal up nicely. Good reminder to pay attention. I have to say one thing I had not thought of that has happened is I now know what I can expect from a Wilkinson Sword blade. I think something beginners should do is pick out a blade and buy enough to go 30 days with it from the start. I think doing a 15-30 day rule before trying a blade sampler is the best policy. I now have used the Wilkinson blade enough that I can now use it for comparison as to how I will judge other blades. Where had I not done this rule first I'd have no standard to compare too.

9. Bama Samurai

Amen and +1 to all that. You are a DE shaver now.

TrentRTR and clint64 like this.
  10. Kenny Ingram

Kenny Ingram Well-Known Member

Thanks Bama Samurai for all the help and suggestions! I've been shaving with these tools for the past few days, so I suppose this will be my 30 day rule from the end of January to the end of February!

Razor: Gillette Super Speed 1974
    Blade: Dorco ST-300
    Brush: Semogue 1520
    Soap: Arko
    Post Shave Balm: Nivea Post Shave Balm

10432941_1029497577077075_5570031899118269821_n.jpg

Last edited: Jan 26, 2015
  11. Bama Samurai

You are most welcome. Thank you for sharing your upcoming experiences with us. What goes on here is a mix of 30 Day Rule and 30 Day Focus. The idea of all this is found in a post by @GDCarrington >>>30 DAY RULE meet the 30 DAY FOCUS (Greater Flexibility)<<<, he is the originator. The dates are set by you, and you are assured to learn a great deal in the thirty days. One of the informal games here is to post a unique photo each day. And in case you're wondering, AS is not part of the rule...it's a good way to break the monotony. Direct chatter and conversation is highly tolerated and encouraged. Glad you are here, and hope you make the most of it!

This is a good thread also...What did we learn from our last shaves, gentlemen?

And be sure to cross post to the SoS: January 19, 2015 - January 25, 2015, this thread starts anew weekly, and is informally known as SOTD. They love photos over there! It's window shopping every day.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2015
    NCoxSTL, VedderLG, txskimo and 3 others like this.
  12. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

SOTD
    January 25, 2015

Prep: Hot shower. Axe Shield Face Wash
    Razor: RazoRock Stealth Slant
    Blade: Rapira Platinum Lux
    Brush: L'Occitane Plisson
    Lather: WSO Zaro
    Aftershave: CC Southern Oud
    Haven't used WSO Zaro in a very long time! Thanks to JR for reminding me :) super soap, it's a shame it's no longer available. Country Club Southern Oud is a very nice aftershave.
    Go out and get it!
    image.jpg

13. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

1/25/2015 30 Day - Shave # 25

Prep - Hot Shower
    Razor - Mongoose Satin B2
    Blade - Kai Mild (7)
    Brush - Rubberset 400 with WSP HMW
    Lather - Soap Commander Confidence
    Post - Witch Hazel and Clubman AS

[​IMG]

Another fantastic 3 pass shave this morning. I am pleased that I participated in this 30 day challenge. It has allowed me to have a baseline for this razor that will give me a basis for comparison as I test the other available blades.

14. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

This is possibly the greatest post in the history of TSD! I laughed until I cried. Troy deserves a new custom title - "The Musk Makes the Man"

wristwatchb, jakie55, clint64 and 5 others like this.
  15. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

1/25/15 - #30DayChallenge #18

Prep: nice quiet shower and Cornhusker's Lotion
    Lather: Klar's Kabinett
    Brush: Omega 10066
    Razor: Weber PH
    Blade: Voskhod (1)

No adventures today. Just a nice quiet shave! This was the first use of the last blade in a box of 5 that I started this adventure with on December 30. At this rate, I think I have enough blades for about 90 months.

16. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

1/25/15 - BSG - RESET Day 20

Prep - Hot Shower, towel soak
    Brush - Omega 48
    Soap - Proraso Green
    Razor - '46/'47 Aristocrat
    Blade - Voskhod (2)
    Post - RazoRock Alum Stick & The Veg

Another good 3 pass day following my usual Sunday head shave. 5 more days of getting it right. No issues, very good DFS near BBS and the alum was very quiet today. Nice way to start the day.
    Reset BSG D 20.jpg

17. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

I think it would be more accurate to say we dare anyone to NOT direct chatter and converse. Can't be done on this thread! SWMBO told me she knows when I'm reading this because I start typing. Calls it my gossip group. I bought her some new organic makeup to keep her occupied and quiet for a bit. ;)

18. Bama Samurai

Day 22 Lab Report - 30 DAY RULE with a Slim

I can now report that setting nine is routine and delivering DFS with little effort. Not a lot of observation here, other than maybe I do need a setting or two more aggressive than nine. I will do nine again tonight.

Hope everyone is having a great Sunday!

19. Bama Samurai

20. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Killing a skunk through car exhaust is no longer considered a humane disposal in the state of Colorado.
    See here.

Quote:
    "skunks may be killed by shooting (where permitted), using a CO2 chamber, or by having a veterinarian administer a euthanasia solution. Car exhaust is no longer
    considered humane or effective for killing skunks

Also do please keep in mind that there are four types of skunks in Colorado - two of which are endangered which the Colorado Division of Wildlife will relocate for you from your live trap.

Bama Samurai and jakie55 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.