January 2015 30 Day Rule/30 Day Focus Pic and Discussion Thread- All are Welcome

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Bama Samurai, Dec 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spit_Fire

Spit_Fire Well-Known Member

SOTD 25 - 30 Day Rule:

Prep: Shower, Proraso PreShave
    Soap: Maggard Razors Orange Menthol Soap
    Blade: 7'oclock SharpEdge (yellow)
    Razor: Ball End Tech
    Brush: 24mm WD Black Badger
    Post: (DIY Splash - 3 parts WH, 3 parts Aloe Vera Juice, 1 part VIBR, 2 drops Glycerin). based on the one @maltedmilk posted

Anyway Great shave today, I love the orange menthol. I may switch to a focus on Blade, Razor, and Brush instead of the 30 day rule. I know it's almost over but I wasn't having lather problems before anyway.

2. WhiskerWhacker

WhiskerWhacker Well-Known Member

01/25 – Day 25 of the 30 Day Rule - Shave #21 with the Weishi

Objective: Survive a month using low end entry level products.
    • Growth: 1 day
    • Prep: Shower; Corn Huskers Lotion
    • Lather: Arko – Face lathered
    • Brush: Escali Badger
    • Razor: Weishi 9306/Microtouch One
    • Blade: Derby Extra (2)
    Today’s Results: 2 pass XTG/ATG. This blade already seems worn out as it left a couple weepers and tugged at times. It was an SAS at best today. In better news it seems that the Eagles actually do have some Pro Bowl talent.

alicia-marie-PB.jpg

3. TrentRTR

TrentRTR Well-Known Member

Shave 16 of 30 day BSG
    Shower - Hot Shower
    Prep - Warm Water Splash
    Razor - Parker 99R
    Blade - Wilkinson Swords Classic
    Brush - Parker Rosewood Boar Brush
    Soap - Proraso Eucalyptus and Menthol Soap
    Post - Cold Water Rinse/Crystal Deodorant/Clubman/Real Shaving Co Soothing Balm

I didnt really need to shave today but I did anyways. My neck felt lots better after taking it easy on it. So I went 2 passes XTG, ATG, and touchups. After about 5 touchup spots and some limited buffing on my neck in 3 spots I'm proud to report my first real BBS!! Woohoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Plans for January 26, 2015

I just loaded the Mongoose with a new Feather Pro blade that should take me to the end of my 30-day adventure. I have learned a lot by sticking with one set up for the past few weeks. I've learned even more from my good friends here at TSD. I plan to switch over to a new set up on Monday, February 2.

I hope you all have an exceptional Monday.

SOTD_012615.jpg

TrentRTR, Jostalli, txskimo and 8 others like this.
  5. jakie55

jakie55 Well-Known Member

I had a great shave today. I was relaxed, and totally focused on the process, being one with the razor, grasshopper. At least a DFS (day 26)
    Have a great week, folks.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2015
  6. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

January 26th SOTD (Shave 18 of the challenge)
    Prep: Hot shower
    Razor & Blade: '63 Gillette Slim and Gillette Platinum
    Three Day's growth
    Second shave on this blade, Stroped 30 times per edge
    Setting 8 on first pass, 9 on second pass plus buffing
    Brush & Bowl: Semogue 1460 brush and soup bowl
    Soap: Maggard Orange Menthol
    Post Shave: Cold water rinse, alum block, Maggard Orange Menthol aftershave

Two pass (WTG/ N to S, and ATG/ S to N) plus buffing on neck and jawline. Setting 8 for first pass, setting 9 for second pass and buffing. DFS, only a few spots away from BBS. One nick on my chin. With the razor wide open, have to pay a lot of attention to pressure and blade angle. I seem to get a more comfortable shave at 5-7, but less passes on 8-9. Less feedback with the alum block on the lower settings, but buffing doesn't work as well.

The funny part to me is that the trouble spots I am having on my neck now are not the same ones I was having at the start of the challenge. My Adam's Apple area isn't an issue anymore. Now I have the little spots between my double chin and lower neck. I hadn't even noticed those before, because I was so focused on the other parts of my neck.

I have met my 30 day at this point, but I plan on going to the end of the month. That should leave me one blade to throw in the box to revisit later.

7. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

I'm going to pull myself from the 30 day challenge. I have used the Weber and Voskhod combination for 39 of my last 70 shaves. I think I have it dialed in. It works every time. I really enjoy seeing everyone's experiences as we dial in our technique.

8. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

Well, beginning the last week of my Clog Pruf focus I've learned a lot.
    I'd been shorting myself in regards to the greatness that is a DFS/BBS from a SE razor.
    I'm dialed in on a blade that works nicely for me, the Gem Blue Star/CVS.
    The Gem Clog Pruf is an agressive razor in comparison to later Gem models like the Feather Weight and Bullet Tip. I'm Thinking some of the "harsher" blades I have will work well with these milder razors.
    I'm ready for some razor variety again. I just got a UK made Aristocrat Jr. And am anxiously awaiting to try it. Its a beauty!

9. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

1/26/2015 30 Day - Shave # 26

Prep - Hot Shower
    Razor - Mongoose Satin B2
    Blade - Kai Mild (1)
    Brush - Rubberset 400 with WSP HMW
    Lather - Soap Commander Confidence
    Post - Witch Hazel and CC Sandalwood AS

[​IMG]

Put in a new Kai Mild blade this morning. It seems the first shave with a new blade is more harsh. Very nice 3 pass workday shave this morning.

10. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

SOTD
    January 26, 2015
    Face and head shave
    Prep: Hot shower. Axe Shield Face Wash Proraso Pre-Shave Green
    Razor: RazoRock Stealth Slant
    Blade: Rapira Swedish Supersteel
    Brush: L'Occitane Plisson
    Lather: Proraso Green
    Aftershave: Proraso Green
    Today is my 30th shave with the RazoRock Stealth Slant, I've had 30 great shaves! No nicks no irration.
    Proraso Green is fantastic! I love the post shave skincare.
    Go out and get it!
    image.jpg

jakie55, TrentRTR, Darkbulb and 8 others like this.
  11. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

1/26/15 - BSG - RESET Day 21
    Prep - Hot Shower, towel soak
    Brush - Omega 48
    Soap - Proraso Green
    Razor - '46/'47 Aristocrat
    Blade - Voskhod (3)
    Post - RazoRock Alum Stick & A/V Ice Blue

Another great shave. 2 pass DFS with a little touchup to start the week before a conference call. No issues and the alum was quiet. I remember my Dad telling me that I shouldn't rush starting to shave because I'd never get to stop. I think if this was my only setup I would definitely get to the point it is just something to be done. Nothing wrong with that, but where's the fun? It's probably why we all enjoy changing things around because it keeps it fresh, unlike the old days when they had a razor, blade and just did their morning routine, much as we used to with the carts.

Anyway, four days left until I finish the 30 days and start blade trials with GSB. I've decided to use my EJ89 for the blade trials and give the Aristocrat some time off. In order to get a proper comparison I'm going to switch to the EJ for the remaining four days so I have a baseline going into Saturday. It will be interesting to see if the transition is smooth from the Gillette to the EJ as well. Hope everyone's Monday is going well.
    Reset BSG Day 17.jpg

12. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Nice classic shave!

NCoxSTL, TrentRTR and Bama Samurai like this.
  13. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Day 23 Lab Report - 30 DAY RULE with a Slim

Another DFS on 2. I am now focusing on the economy of motion in my shave routine and trying to shave the exact same way each time. I am still considering the merits of the Slim Adjustable in general. After 23 shaves with it in a row, I am neither enthused nor a detractor. This has been very insightful because I had no experience on vintage equipment. I am still pondering, and no matter the outcome, I have been contacted by a forum member who is seeking a J2 Slim for sentimental reasons. He's gonna get this one as soon as I finish what I started.

I know that this part of the month is boring, but hang in there! We can do this.

14. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Thanks Troy! It was great having you be a part, and the skunk adventure shall live forever in my mind. You many see these 30 Day threads pop up from time to time in 2015, please stop in, maybe do a Focus! Remember, skip tarp, go straight to rifle...it will all be ok.:)

The 89 is a great razor for blade trials...it's quite mild, and will let some of the sharper blades in your den really shine through.

My grocery store peesonna blades are better on shave 2. I have been experimenting with arm stropping. I think it's working.

Congrats! You are a finisher! :happy096::bounce017::happy096::happy088:

I love the solid smooth progress and the way you just keep on! Very nice!:happy088:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2015
    jakie55, NCoxSTL, TrentRTR and 3 others like this.
  15. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

I likely will keep up with the next month's focus and perhaps try a new soap or something like that. I used my New SC this morning and had a decent shave.
    22 LR are just the right sort of medicine for pests.

jakie55, NCoxSTL, TrentRTR and 2 others like this.
  16. WhiskerWhacker

01/26 – Day 26 of the 30 Day Rule - Shave #22 with the Weishi

Objective: Survive a month using low end entry level products.
    • Growth: 1 day
    • Prep: Shower; Corn Huskers Lotion
    • Lather: Arko – Face lathered
    • Brush: Escali Badger
    • Razor: Weishi 9306/Microtouch One
    • Blade: Derby Extra (3)
    Today’s Results: 2 pass XTG/ATG. The blade performed much better today than yesterday, but still tugged at times and gave one tiny weeper. But, I am calling it a CCS. I've been slacking on Menthol Monday lately so I used the Proraso AS. And ahhhh. I forgot how great that stuff is! :Animatedfrozensmily:

images.jpg

17. Jostalli

Jostalli Well-Known Member

Day 22 - Thirty Days with Merkur 34c (Jan 1-Feb 4 [No shave on Saturdays]) BSG 1-26-2015

Have had a very heavy schedule for the past several days so I have not been able to post. - I missed you guys. However, I have been faithful to the 30 day

Hot Shower and Prep - Neutrogena Men Invigorating Face Wash
    Razor Merkur 34c
    Blade Astra SP (4)
    Brush - Plisson Synthetic
    Lather - Proraso Green
    Post - Warm water rinse, Maggard Razor Alum, wait 30 seconds then cool water rinse, Neutrogena Razor Defense Post Shave Lotion

On my shaves from Thursday and Friday I kept getting some small nicks on the front of my chin. So I have made sure I am slowing down in that area.
    This morning was a two pass WTG & ATG with a few touch ups. I think I want to coin a new term. - "Work Day Shave" not quite a DFS but good enough for the day.

SOTD Day 22.jpg

18. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Plans for January 27, 2015 (day 26 of 30)

Under constant threat of wild animal attack, I plan to shave with the Mongoose, Feather Pro blade on day 2, and Kent BK4 brush. These past few days have taught me that getting an excellent shave with the Mongoose is not the Bear I thought it would be. In fact, it's a real honey of a razor. :)

Tuesday is National Chocolate Cake Day!

SOTD_012715.jpg

19. txskimo

txskimo Well-Known Member

Day 21
    Prep: Hot shower, Noxzema
    Brush: Van Der Hagen (the one from the premium kit)
    Soap: Van Der Hagen Luxury
    Blade: Hill Country (rebranded Personna)
    Razor: Edwin Jagger DE89

I haven't shaved yet but I wanted to post in case I fall asleep later, this way it'll be easier to find my post and edit. Anyways I'm kind of excited about this shave since my last shave with about two days growth was probably close to my best shave. Hopefully everything goes the same later tonight. Any recommendations for a good post shave lotion? Nivea is almost out and I figured I'd try and change it up just not sure if I'd be satisfied with other stuff I could get locally.

Wow I wasn't disappointed at all! Now I have to find out the reason I get such an awesome shave after a couple days growth compared to when I shave every night.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2015
  20. WhiskerWhacker

Gillette after shave gel - it's worth a try for how inexpensive it is. I really like it.
    Dove Men +Care Post Shave Balm - It's thick, almost like a cream, but it spreads thin and is extremely soothing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.