January 2015 30 Day Rule/30 Day Focus Pic and Discussion Thread- All are Welcome

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Bama Samurai, Dec 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

This is the way to go! One thing that is happening to you, as mentioned on day 25... You now possess enough technique to realize that you can become really good at this. January was a complete success!

You may find the Omega brush smells a bit like a wet, dead pig. Because it is. If the aroma bugs you, soak it in warm water with dish soap for an hour, rinse well...then lather with VDH or what ever you have around and let the larger dry on the brush over night. With daily use the tips of a boar brush crack, spilt and soften. This is normal and proper. The Omega is a fave of mine, and will be a much better brush on day 28 than on day 1. Promise.

Trigger, Troy M and clint64 like this.
  2. Bama Samurai

January - 30 Days with a Slim

1. The Slim is not likely to ever become my daily razor. I got to the point where I got consistent DFS on 2, but it just never seemed natural in the hand. I also ended up just using it wide open, so apparently the adjustable is not in a range useful to my technique. I spent my first year acquiring a small razor "library", and will spend this year deciding what stays and what goes.

2. The VDH brush is over. I quit. Looking forward to more 48 and the new Plisson.

3. I learned a great deal about my phone camera software.

4. Skew cuts and riding the cap (h/t @maltedmilk ) definitely were useful in shaving the neck with the slim.

5. The blades were good. Not great, not bad. Just good. 4 shaves seemed about the norm.

6. TSD stick lanolin soap is a consistent performer and a solid choice for travel. The Barber Shoppe scent matched all the old school AS I love so much. I would use TSD soap for future rules without hesitation. (Kudos to @Queen of Blades !!)

7. Doing thirty day rules is way more fun in a group setting than when going alone. The pics and chatter break up an otherwise monotonous endeavor. I really appreciate everyone who hung out here and participated! And Congrats to everyone who completed! This was my third, but the first one I really had some fun with...Thank You.

Trigger, Tdmsu, GDCarrington and 7 others like this.
  3. Jostalli

Jostalli Well-Known Member

Day 29 - Thirty Days with Merkur 34c (Jan 1-Feb 4 [No shave on Saturdays]) BSG 2-03-2015

Hot Shower and Prep -Neutrogena Men Invigorating Face Wash
    Razor Merkur 34c
    Blade Astra SP (5)
    Brush - Plisson Synthetic
    Lather - Proraso Green
    Post - Warm water rinse, Maggard Razor Alum, wait 30 seconds then cool water rinse, RazoRock Problem Solver Lime AS Spalsh, Gold Bond Men's Essentials Lotion

Well just one day way from completing my 30 day it had to happen. Got a little too high on my lower lip and the blade caught. I have been using the DE since last November and this was the biggest bleeder yet :shocked029: - Was able to get through my second pass. - Turned out a pretty decent shave but had to put the alum block and styptic to the test. Went to work with a small scab on the edge of lower lip. Oh well it could have been worse. Tomorrow is a new shave day.

SOTD Day 29.jpg

4. Bama Samurai

Nice work! Almost there!

5. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

For those of you who have run the race and did not meet 30 days, you have each learned a lot more about your setup and technique.

For those of you who have run the race to completion, congratulations!

6. Jostalli

Jostalli Well-Known Member

Day 30- Thirty Days with Merkur 34c (Jan 1-Feb 4 [No shave on Saturdays]) BSG 2-04-2015

I Made IT!!!!

Hot Shower and Prep -Nivea Men Sensitive Skin Face Wash
    Razor Merkur 34c
    Blade Astra SP (6)
    Brush - Plisson Synthetic
    Lather - Proraso Green
    Post - Warm water rinse, Maggard Razor Alum, wait 30 seconds then cool water rinse, WH, RazoRock Problem Solver Lime AS Spalsh, Gold Bond Men's Essentials Lotion

Finished my 30 day rule challenge with a 3 pass to BBS!!!

Great finish, learned a lot, but I have a lot more to learn.

:bounce015::bounce017::bounce017::bounce015::happy093::happy096::scared011::wave:

SOTD Day 30.jpg

7. Bama Samurai

:happy088::happy096::happy088:

8. TrentRTR

TrentRTR Well-Known Member

Hey Guys, just letting you all know I'm among the living still. Had a bout with the flu last I don't know how many days. Figured I was a goner lol. Feeling better today and ready to talk shaving again!! :)

9. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Hi, Trent, and welcome back! I hope you are feeling much better. I had the flu last year, and it was rough going!

10. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

A couple of months ago I was sitting out on my Balcony (live in a condo) the neighbor lady was taking her trash to the dumpster, She let out a scream.....a young skunk came out from under the trash dumpster, had it's head stuck in a plastic container and couldn't get it's head out. It was funny to watch as it was running around in circles. Glad I was not anywhere with in it spray diameter. I watched it run down the drive way. don't know where it went. One bad thing here is a nice lady puts food out on her porch for all of the cats. The sunks live well thanks to that Bimbo :angry019:

GDCarrington and Troy M like this.
  11. BenTTO

BenTTO Member

I immediately thought of Brando in a cave muttering "The horror."

Troy M likes this.
  12. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

That was awesome! I'm sorry for all the crap that went wrong Troy but it made for a great write up! images.png

13. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

I love that this got resurrected. Good times. Well for most of us.

Drygulch and Robyflexx like this.
  14. Rufus T.

Rufus T. Late for dinner

slow day at the office for a change...stumbled onto this in the archives...nearly passed my lunch thru my nose as I read this!
    A 30 Day Crew classic if there ever was one!

I finally know where the CT comes from! :happy097:

10789.jpg
    Troy M
    Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

NCoxSTL and Troy M like this.
  15. ob1page

ob1page Frozen in Phoenix

I'm so sorry but that was one of the funniest things I've ever read

SharptoothC, Drygulch, Troy M and 3 others like this.
  16. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

I can sort of laugh about it now.

17. Bama Samurai

What a way to kick of the 30 Day thread! We'll never top that one!

Douglas Carey, Drygulch and Troy M like this.
  18. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Brilliant, if not horribly disgusting.

19. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Still funniest post @Troy M. :happy102:

Troy M likes this.
  20. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

One of the all time greats.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk