January 2015 30 Day Rule/30 Day Focus Pic and Discussion Thread- All are Welcome

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Bama Samurai, Dec 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. txskimo

txskimo Well-Known Member

Fun? I'm in suspense checking tracking updates way to often lol....but yeah it kinda is fun lol

I can't wait....it's like a late Christmas present

2. Tattoobob

Tattoobob Well-Known Member

image.jpg Ready to roll. Using skin food for pre-shave

3. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Looks great! Good luck Bob!

The fun before the fun!

txskimo likes this.
  4. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

Been busy @ work, just now trying to catch up on the reads.......

Well, the Merkur 45 isn't actually a slant.
    It's a smooth safety bar razor, and an extremely light plastic one at that.

P1010669_30pct.jpg

Looks a might "slanty" but it isn't.

Looking forward to tomorrows shave!!

Happy scraping everybody!! :bounce017:

5. Spit_Fire

Spit_Fire Well-Known Member

It's just got a crazy steep blade angle right?

Bama Samurai and Misphit like this.
  6. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

Yes, it certainly does.
    There are very few razors (that I'm aware of ) that bend the blade
    as much as this one.

Learning the new hold angle is going to be a challenge!

Happy Shaving!! :bounce017:

Bama Samurai, Misphit and Spit_Fire like this.
  7. WhiskerWhacker

WhiskerWhacker Well-Known Member

The first few times I used that badger brush there was enough hair in my sink to make a toupee for Verne Troyer. The Weishi does seem pretty solid for what it is.

The flare tip SS and the Weishi are practically the same razor except for the metal. Same knurling concept, length, weight, and aggressiveness.

8. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

I have been using the VDH version of the Weishi as my head razor, though that did not go well tonight. :( I also use a '59 SS and yes, they are very similar though I think the Weishi is milder than the SS by just a bit. Also not quite as solid feeling in the mechanism but that's to be expected I suppose. Other than my continuing issues with positioning and pressure on my head with it I have had no problems with it. I wish it had a longer handle for what I use it for but I probably just need to look for a long handled Razorock or Merkur to replace it.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  9. Spit_Fire

Spit_Fire Well-Known Member

I think the Parker 29L is supposed to be a lady gillette clone. Which was the same head as the super speed so maybe that would better, or a lady gillette(they are kinda pricey though) I have no experience with either.

10. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Yeah my wife has a lady gillette. I got it for her and paid more for it than any of my others except my Arisocrat.

Bama Samurai and Spit_Fire like this.
  11. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

She needs to know that even if she has no idea what it means.

12. Jostalli

Jostalli Well-Known Member

I agree completely!!

13. Bama Samurai

I stand corrected. I look forward to the upcoming discussion of head geometry, blade flex/tension and all that good stuff!

Parallax, lol.

Bristle Me and Troy M like this.
  14. Misphit

Misphit Rest In Peace

Did you make a new thread for it yet?

Troy M likes this.
  15. Bama Samurai

I was thinking on this thread...let's talk razors with shavers of all stripes. I am trying to switch from r89 type head to a Slim Adjustable. Major differences in blade tension right there...and the slim is nine razors in one package. You got change too. Btw... 160 makes you the 2014 champ.

16. Misphit

Misphit Rest In Peace

Of what? Losing control of my wallet?

17. Bama Samurai

Nah...had you lost control it could have been far higher than that. I said champ.

Bristle Me likes this.
  18. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

She is aware, at least somewhat. She tried to be interested. LOL She won't use the Gillette I got her yet because it's her birth year and she thinks of it as something special and pristine. I keep pointing out that my '59 flair tip is in daily rotation. Part of the appeal to having it but she sees it differently with hers. At least she likes the EJ Ladies I got her. Or I should say, likes and USES it.

CyanideMetal, Troy M and Spit_Fire like this.
  19. jakie55

jakie55 Well-Known Member

So my 2014/12/31 shave and the second of the 30 day challenge was a very interesting shave. I used all the same items as yesterday. I noticed that I had a greater stubble from yesterday's shave, showing me that I was too tentative, with the shave angle, and so did not get the closeness I normally get with the Shick injectors. I increased the angle a bit, while still working on NO PRESSURE. When the shave was done, N - S, XTG, and S-N. ( the cross grain actually ends up being atg at my jaw line and just below the jaw, on my neck). I ended up with no weepers, or nicks, and the neck seems no more irritated than normal. The WH, and AS had a bite to it, though! I now understand what is meant by the razor being a bit more aggressive than the Shick injector.... great shave, just more bite. Even now, some 4 hours after the shave, the cheeks are BBS, and the neck is only a little rough. lots more to learn.

20. Slow Joe

Slow Joe Relishing his obsession

Good luck to all of you starting the 30 day rule ( or have you gents already started.)
    Have fun.

Bama Samurai and Troy M like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.