January 2016 30 Day Rule/Focus Pic&Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Bama Samurai, Dec 31, 2015.

?

What is your preferred brush bristle-type?

1. Badger

29 vote(s)
    43.9%
  2. Boar

17 vote(s)
    25.8%
  3. Synthetic

16 vote(s)
    24.2%
  4. Horse or other

4 vote(s)
    6.1%
  1. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Yes, I believe the other one is a 35.

TomJ89de, wmbjr, Drygulch and 3 others like this.
  2. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
    Keithmax, Bill_F, wristwatchb and 9 others like this.
  3. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

could be a close finish for "place". And I said this a week or so ago, too.

4. wmbjr

wmbjr Duck, duck, cooked goose!

January 2016 Focus -- Blade search for the 1958 Executive

January 29

Razor: Gillette 1958 Executive adjustable
    Blade: Feather (3)
    Brush: Stirling Kong
    Soap: Tabac
    20160128_223121-picsay.jpg

Same basic shave as yesterday. It worked so well, why mess with a good thing. Well, it went great again today. Another excellent shave with the Tabac and the Feather. Near BBS with no irritation at all. Would have been BBS if I spent a little more time on touch up but I was moving slow this morning. I don't know that I will shave again this month or if my first shave will be the first February focus shave. If I do shave again this month, I will try the same setup one more time to see how a fourth shave with the blade works out.

Since it was basically the same shave, I went with basically the same picture too. :happy102:

Keithmax, Bill_F, wristwatchb and 7 others like this.
  5. wmbjr

wmbjr Duck, duck, cooked goose!

Nice photo! Like the sharp selective focus on the brush end!

I assume you plan to continue the straights and stropping, etc for the next month. You adding anything new to the mix or still mastering technique with that you have been using?

6. Bama Samurai

Thanks! I will be using my two straights and Lumberjack for 60 more days, with a Shave Den Sunday and maybe some LA Toja or Arko. I have reached a point where I am getting decent shaves, I just need more repetition. It's been easier than I anticipated, and have had a great time so far. I really can't say enough about Route 66, it's basically flawless!

7. Bama Samurai

For real! It's 62F today!

8. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

9. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Now I know what to get you for your birthday!! :)

Bill_F, Drygulch, wmbjr and 4 others like this.
  10. TomJ89de

TomJ89de Well-Known Member

The end of my second focus.
    Just want to thank you all for making this focus what it is, both old and new. The only change I am making to my focus is my posts. I intend to be a lot more active in the picture competition we all pretend isn't going on :happy102: I need more time to master the 1924. Unfortunately I will be boring you all about it for a further 2 weeks. Anyway thanks to you all, i look forard to the new focus and getting to know everyone a little better.

Keithmax, Bill_F, wristwatchb and 7 others like this.
  11. Rufus T.

Rufus T. Late for dinner

January 29, 2016
    30-day focus with my Schick Type C1 - The Simplified Schick Automatic Razor.

Shave 20

Razor: Schick Type C1
    Blade: NOS Schick Twin Injector 1973 (5)
    Soap: La Toja
    Brush: Rubberset 300N Nylon Brown/Amber Lucite

01-29-16.JPG

Last shave of the workweek while away at a business retreat.

Haven't reported on the shaves in a few days, but all of them have been with the Twin blade and have been similar - very close shaves. So close that it requires a light touch with a deliberate pace. I've found that I cannot safely rush a shave with this blade. Which may not make it ideal for this razor on the road where I seem to be a bit more rushed to get out the door.

But anytime you have the ability to take your time and mind your technique — this is a great combo.

Will look to do a final report this weekend on all the blades I've used.

Cheers!
    RT

12. Bama Samurai

Much the opposite, we are thrilled you've decided to fully master that razor. It will pay dividends later!

Bill_F, wristwatchb, Drygulch and 4 others like this.
  13. Seabs

Seabs Well-Known Member

January 2016 Focus - Wade and badger straight
    January 29

Blade: Wade and badger 5/8 square point
    Brush: Parker travel brush
    Soap: TSD stick, signature scent 2x iced
    Passes: 3x

Last shave of the month with this blade which has become my best shaver. Almost every shave has been consistently smooth. This last one was a hint of tugging but could have been because I stropped before leaving in Monday and didn't do my finest work. Eh. Enter echter stone this weekend. This evening shave had a preshave that consisted of face wash and hot towel, face lather with TSD stick. Love the scent-stuck with me all night. [​IMG][​IMG]

Let's see what I can come up with for a Feb focus.
    Cheers,
    Eric

Keithmax, Bill_F, wristwatchb and 8 others like this.
  14. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Finishing January on my feet!

Razor - Mongoose
    Blade - [​IMG](3)
    Brush - Wolf Whiskers Custom Silvertip
    Soap - Tabac
    Post - Cold rinse, Alum, Nivea, The Veg

Stayed with the Mongoose another day, just rotated brush and soap. Two passes to a DFS as is normal with this razor. So, decided to try a third pass. Happy to say the baby showed up in the end. Alum was a bit hot but not too bad. Finished with the Veg after everything to try and keep the sales luck running. Not a great day, not a horrible day so I'll continue to stay the course. Hoping to get back to the Rabbit on Sunday morning. I feel like I'll be able to handle it again by then without shaking the blade all over my face. Enjoy your weekend!

Keithmax, Norcalnewb, Bill_F and 10 others like this.
  15. Bama Samurai

Any day with the Veg is a great day! Glad you're getter!

Norcalnewb, NCoxSTL, Bill_F and 4 others like this.
  16. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Clint, that is a beautiful brush and razor. Great photo too!

Norcalnewb, Bill_F, Drygulch and 2 others like this.
  17. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thank you Charlie.

18. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

January 30

Gillette Flare Tip Super Speed (Z3)
    Feather (2)
    Kent BK8 silvertip badger
    XPEC unscented
    Alum, Thayer's Lavender witch hazel, unrefined shea butter, and Fine Platinum

I had a busy week at work, so I'm looking forward to a laid back weekend. We're expecting 60 degrees and sun today.

A two-pass shave with this set up is a great start to a Saturday. XPEC unscented is a good performer, but it's not too exciting. I finally switched out the Vigoroso for the Fine Platinum. Just too many great aftershave scents to choose from. I hope you all have a fantastic weekend!

SOTD_013016.JPG

Keithmax, TomJ89de, mrchick and 7 others like this.
  19. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

You're well on your way, Chris! It took me several months to start achieving some truly GOOD shaves with a straight razor, but dedication 'to the craft' certainly paid dividends. For me, there was no turning back (i.e. back to DE razors), although I still keep a few quality DEs in the arsenal.
    And Route 66 is a superb product! The aftershave balm samples I'm currently using are exceptional as well. Great scents!

20. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

SOTD January 30, 2016
    Focus day 27

Prep: Warm shower
    Blade: Schick injector
    Razor: Schick Eversharp G1 injector
    Brush: Trader Joe's synthetic
    Lather: Soap Commander Vision
    Post: Witch hazel splash spritzed with Fine Platinum, Nivea sensitive balm
    WTG, XTG, touch-up

First foray with the Schick Injector razor, circa early 1950s. So I broke focus a little bit where razors were concerned. But, it's a really neat razor! It's lightweight but easily maneuverable. I found the Schick blade to be pretty sharp. One little weeper developed on my chin but it was taken care of with the cold water rinse and witch hazel. Overall I really enjoyed using this razor and will look forward to using it in the future with the others I have ended up with.

The Trader Joe's brush is a decent brush - pretty stiff for a synthetic. It whipped up a large load of Soap Commander Vision lather. I had no trouble getting a rich, yogurty coating through a face lather.

Two passes for as close to DFS as I've been. I hope you all have a great weekend!

IMG_0149.JPG

Keithmax, Troy M, TomJ89de and 9 others like this.