January 2016 30 Day Rule/Focus Pic&Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Bama Samurai, Dec 31, 2015.

?

What is your preferred brush bristle-type?

1. Badger

29 vote(s)
    43.9%
  2. Boar

17 vote(s)
    25.8%
  3. Synthetic

16 vote(s)
    24.2%
  4. Horse or other

4 vote(s)
    6.1%
  1. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I truly applaud you gents who are getting into SR! It's something I wish I could do, but morning arthritis we will not allow me to.

mrchick, Bill_F, Seabs and 10 others like this.
  2. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

An Uncle Vladdy is far better than a Cousin Vinny. At least when it comes to acquiring strange and obscure blades from around the world.

3. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Kerry, great post. :happy096: I can only echo your thoughts.

4. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Welcome back!

5. TomJ89de

TomJ89de Well-Known Member

You've covered everything I wanted to say to everyone there so thanks, great post

6. TomJ89de

I look forward to your focus that blackland looks one hell of a razor

7. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

30 Day January 2016 Focus

I truly enjoy participating in these 30 Day Focus/Rule threads and want to thank Chris @Bama Samurai for continuing to set them up monthly. Without fail I always pick up a tip or trick that improves my shave or shave routine. The huge added bonus has been getting to know the participants much better. The humor and shenanigans really add to the experience.

My goals for the month are:
    • Concentrate on 2 new razors, Cobra Classic & AlumiGoose, for weekday shaves with the goal of comparing both to the Mongoose by month end.
    • Weekends will be free form on razors but I do want to use the Ikon B1 OC head arriving next week & my Mongoose.
    • Use various brushes.
    • Use various soaps working down the soap inventory. How did the inventory get so out of hand. ;)
    • Participate weekly in The Shave Den Sunday thread.
    • Embrace NB 2016 and enjoy the shave gear I currently have on hand.
    • Provide advice and encouragement to new participants.
    • Continue to improve my technique.
    • Most important of all hand out with this wonderful group.
    I'll update with some pics later when time allows.

8. TomJ89de

Great focus and what a line up I'm definitely eyeing up that Phoenix

9. TomJ89de

image.jpg My 1924 is here!
    It is absolutely beautiful the condition is superb @Billyfergie was kind enough to include a couple of blades along with the razor. It has made my day and I've just took it for a spin it is a total game changer. My technique was awful for passes 1&2, it's a strange angle but I nailed it on pass 3 and I was BBS no problem. This will be a dream when I get my angle and I love the sound. Major razor burn all over my head from the 2 bad passes and I couldn't be happier. Sadly I may have to skip tomorrow to let it settle. What a razor it's amazing how they had shaving so right back in the day this will certainly keep my RAD at bay for a week or two
    image.jpg

mrchick, Bill_F, cmorris357 and 12 others like this.
  10. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

The dark side has prepared cookies.

11. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

You are nailing the vintage looking photos!

12. TomJ89de

Thanks I do want to get better with photos competition is tough here though

13. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

I've pretty much given up on the competition, there are just too many talented photographers here. :)

I trust in luck, mostly, for good photos. ;)

14. TomJ89de

Your not wrong I need some better brushes and soaps oh and aftershaves. Thank goodness I'm not involved in NB16

15. TomJ89de

Great focus and it's refreshing to know you shaving experts are still learning

16. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

If you find yourself in a funk, we can always sing the Voskhod anthem as a group. That always seems to brighten our spirits. If things get really bad, I'll play some Homer and Jethro tunes.

17. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Your offer brings a tear to my eye. It may be the thought of us all trying to sing on key but still it's a tear.

Bill_F, wristwatchb, Rufus T. and 8 others like this.
  18. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

That's great Tom...Glad you like the 1924...The angle is very subtle on this SE but you will get there...A "Feather like Touch" is the order of the day as these are very aggressive but ever so smooth...:)

Billy..:chores016:

wristwatchb, Bill_F, Rufus T. and 7 others like this.
  19. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

I'm excited to join for this month! I've been encouraged by @Troy M and @Drygulch and @RaZorBurn123 and others to join in, regardless of my focus or skill level. I appreciate the support and the evident camaraderie.

This is my focus/rule hybrid for January:
    • I will use the same razor all month - a no-name 3-piece from Wet Shave Club. It's been good so far.
    • Beginning January 4, on Monday through Thursday I will use the same soap and the same blade and the same brush. This will be a technique focus time.
    • On Friday through Sunday I'll explore some other soaps or creams and a new blade and different brush, but still with the same razor. Generally one of those days I do not shave any way, so that's a good window to do a little exploring
    I hope to hone in on technique by using the same razor all month. There will be a little variety on the weekends to keep it interesting.

Again, thank you to all who have encouraged me to join and participate. I look forward to the adventure!

20. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Count me in for a January focus on my Tech razors. Haven't used them very often so 2016 will kick off this focus. I learned much in 2015 by participating in these focuses. Thanks for your efforts Chris.