January 2016 30 Day Rule/Focus Pic&Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Bama Samurai, Dec 31, 2015.

?

What is your preferred brush bristle-type?

1. Badger

29 vote(s)
    43.9%
  2. Boar

17 vote(s)
    25.8%
  3. Synthetic

16 vote(s)
    24.2%
  4. Horse or other

4 vote(s)
    6.1%
  1. BigCabDaddy

BigCabDaddy Well-Known Member

iOS - 3.jpg

The education continues! Thoughts and notes from today’s shave:

• I set up a spreadsheet to randomize my SOTD.
    • For the month I have it limited to select between the Old Types only.
    • Brushes rotate so the one I’m using is always dry
    • Today was my first shave with the 98
    • I did something unique in it’s prep: I soaked it and used it. Radical, I know.
    • A brand new boar olds markedly less lather. It barely held enough for four passes, but four is enough for my longest shave so no biggie
    • Today was the second day in a row that Arko came up
    • As much as I like Arko, using it more than one day in a row is going to require balm. What once was skin that I worked hard from being greasy, now gets overly dry in a hurry. Ah yes, aging. Dare I call Arko a young man’s soap?
    iOS - 2 (1).jpg

On the ongoing saga of the two Old Types:
    • I took off the shim I’d made for Old Type 1 to make it more an apples to apples comparison.
    • Even though the shim seemed to work, I decided that my logic as to why it worked is flawed. These razors don’t rely on blade gap but on blade exposure through the combs. No wonder they are such a different experience.
    • These two razors are most definitely different. If there was any doubt, the fact that one “Made in USA” is mixed case and the other is upper case makes confirms it to me.
    • Geometry is definitely different too.
    • Old Type 1 has more arc
    • Old Type 1 is slightly narrower from comb to comb
    • Old Type 1 has less comb depth. So much so that Old Type 2 has more blade exposure than Old Type 2
    • I’d think all three of the above would make Old Type 2 more aggressive but it seems to be the opposite. The only thing I can think is that the longer comb tines over rides the greater exposure.
    • Old Type 1 tines are rougher so it raking across my face. So tines themselves are responsible for some irritation.
    • The thinner head of an short comb Old Type is a definite plus when it comes to shaping a goatee. There’s a lot less guessing as far as where the line should be.

2. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

Same razor today, went back to the homes, and took it back to bevel set on a 1k synthetic. Used a one stone slurry method on a Purple Dragon's Tongue Welsh natural stone. Then did 10 laps on a chromium oxide pasted strop, 20 on linen, and 150 on leather. Much better feel than my last shave, but still not quite sharp enough, I could feel it scraping rather than cutting. . Much smoother shave overall though. Overall, DFS+. Closeness B, Irritation C, Keenness C-, Smothness B+. Fine aftershave is good stuff.
    image.jpg

3. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

Happy Birthday, Sir!

4. Bill_F

Bill_F Well-Known Member

Happy Birthday Doug! Great present from your wife! :rah::bounce017::greet002::bounce017::rah:

5. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Adam, great set up today, and thanks for the detailed description on blade edge prep. What do you mean by, "Used a one stone slurry method on a Purple Dragon's Tongue Welsh natural stone?" I assume this is the only intermediate honing step you took between the 1K synthetic stone and the pasted strop. And based on your overall evaluation of the blade being "not quite sharp enough," would you add another step next time? I'm starting to realize there's a lot of individual technique involved here. :) Thanks!

Last edited: Jan 3, 2016
  6. wristwatchb

January 4

Gillette Flare Tip Super Speed (Z3)
    Feather (3)
    Rudy Vey Shavemac two-band silver tip
    XPEC unscented
    Two passes plus touch-ups
    Thayer's Lavender witch hazel, unrefined shea butter, and Fine Platinum

SOTD_010416.JPG

Last edited: Jan 4, 2016
  7. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

Happy Birthday Doug....:party:

8. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Thank you and everyone else for the birthday wishes.

9. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

Keep in mind, this isn't edge maintenece, this is a eBay razor that I am trying to sharpen without sending out. It has been successfully removing whiskers to get DFS shaves, so at this point I am trying to tune the edge.

Short version: a slurry is a mix of water and stone particles created by rubbing a second stone on the first one. The slurry increases the cutting power of the hone, effectively lowering the grit of the hone. The slurry is continually diluted with water until you are finishing on the stone surface, which is your finishing stone. Search the @gssixgun videos on one stone honning for more detail. The Welsh Dragon's tongue is a natural stone. Grit ratings don't work on natural stones.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2016
  10. wristwatchb

Thanks Adam. This is helpful. I will check out Glen's videos. :)

11. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Jan 4 Focus Shave 3

Today I wanted to try a razor refreshed on the J Nat, Jerry Stark 6/8). The J Nat was followed by Dove red/black paste then diamond paste.

It was less than 24 hours since my last shave and that is not an ideal condition for BBS... but of course I wanted to see how I did with the J Nat. It felt better than my last attempt on the J Nat and little smoother than yesterdays shave with Shapton finished razor( same pasted strops but no diamond paste). The difference was really small. The shave was smooth, I had similar irritation to yesterday, maybe a little less and almost BBS.

Irritation B+ Closeness B+ Smoothness A- Keenness A-

L'Occitane Cade
    Simpson Tulip Super Badger
    Whitehead scuttle
    Jerry Stark 6/8
    Dry Gulch strop
    Lucky Tiger AS
    L'Occitane Cade ASB
    YSL Rive Gauche
    max - 1.jpg

12. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Happy Birthday and congrats on the awesome wife!:greet002:

13. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Now that is enabling! Good job

14. mrchick

I haven't been feeling well for a few days. In the old days I wouldn't have shaved when feeling bad. Today I shave regardless. I stayed with my focus this morning and did day three with the MWF. I think I have this stuff figured out. Great shave today.
    SOTD
    Mitchell's Wool Fat
    Doug Korn Brush
    Stahly Live Blade head on Weber Bulldog handle.
    Feather blade (2)
    Nancy Boy AS balm.
    Azzaro Chrome Legend
    Have a great week!

15. mrchick

16. mrchick

Oops, how did that get there?
    Back to regularly scheduled shaving posts.

17. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

January 2016

Straight Feather Goose Focus

January 3

For January I'm focusing on two razors, the W.B. Speed Rabbit TSR and the Mongoose, on loan from @Rufus T. Since the Goose uses AC blades I'm using the Feather Pros.

Razor - W.B. Speed Rabbit
    Brush - Omega Pro 48
    Soap - Proraso
    Post - Cold Water, Alum, Nivea, Proraso A/S

It's back to the Rabbit today after opening with the Mongoose. Interesting, because I feel like I'm getting less irritation with the straight than the Goose. At least it felt like that during the shave. I managed the first pass with no issues and it was smooth and feeling a bit more natural than when I started with it. Second pass mostly XTG though some ATG on the neck. Still no blood but my neck is just a tad sensitive, I think from the excess pressure from the Goose a couple of days ago. Finished with a nice CCS after two and called it a day. Work was waiting and the holiday party tonight. Good day and fun party and a great shave to start it with. Can't beat a day like that!

[​IMG]

18. wristwatchb

I hope you feel better soon!

19. mrchick

Thank you!

20. Rufus T.

Rufus T. Late for dinner

Happy Birthday Douglas!
    We're glad you're here!