January 2016 30 Day Rule/Focus Pic&Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Bama Samurai, Dec 31, 2015.

?

What is your preferred brush bristle-type?

1. Badger

29 vote(s)
    43.9%
  2. Boar

17 vote(s)
    25.8%
  3. Synthetic

16 vote(s)
    24.2%
  4. Horse or other

4 vote(s)
    6.1%
  1. TomJ89de

TomJ89de Well-Known Member

It certainly does enjoy it as I will enjoy your post about it. I think it's safe to say your in for a great shave

2. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Now that's funny.

3. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Beauty SE Razor! And you're right, once you find the angle, those razors definitely make BBS a possibility with ease.

wristwatchb, wmbjr, Bill_F and 4 others like this.
  4. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

The 1924 looks fantastic. The angle does take a few times to nail down. I still have some trouble between my lips and nose. When you get it dialed it the shaves are super close and very long lasting. I use the PTFE coated Gem blades and find they shave smoother after the first couple of shaves.

5. TomJ89de

Thanks they are the blades billy was kind enough to include and your not wrong about long lasting my head is still 80% BBS 8 hours later

6. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

My cheeks and neck are the same way. The shaves can be spooky close for sure. Plus I think they are a very cool looking razors.

7. TomJ89de

Thanks the angle throws me as It seems natural to use the angle the head is set at. But that's what this focus is for. I think I will be on it within ten days

8. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Since you did so well right out of the gate, I am sure you will nail it quickly. I do find them to be very different from DE or Injector razors. The fact that you don't have a lot of DE experience is working to your advantage. You are not fighting against built in muscle memory but just going with the flow and learning.

9. TomJ89de

Thanks for the encouragement that is something I've thought, it's Important I keep my hand in with de. But Im goin to struggle going back when the 1924 performs so well

10. whiteboy_cannon

whiteboy_cannon Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

My first 30 day rule. Sticking with this setup, need to focus on learning proper technique. Shaves are already getting better, can't wait to see where my skills are at by the end of this month.

11. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Great plan!

12. TomJ89de

Welcome to the focus your skills will be great by the end

wristwatchb, wmbjr, Bill_F and 4 others like this.
  13. TomJ89de

Your bank balance may not be :happy102:

14. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

Whoo hoo! Second year for 30 day Fouci. Welcome to those just joining us, and welcome back to the 30DC veterans! I don't have the patience to tag everyone using my phone, but I enjoy reading all about your adventures. I can't believe how much my skills and shave interests have changed and improved in the last year. The Dark Side is getting stronger on the 30 Day Thead!

My focus for this month will be on different finishing stones and pastes on straights. @Keithmax is doing a similar focus. I would like to get an idea how to tune an edge to make it both very keen and very smooth. I only shave about 15 times a month, so will focus on only 2 or three straights. I am also trying seven new aftershaves this month, and working on reducing my soap inventory. Brush will be up for changes. Happy New Year's, Gentlemen.

15. TomJ89de

Happy new year. Great focus

wristwatchb, Bill_F, clint64 and 4 others like this.
  16. Rufus T.

Rufus T. Late for dinner

Oh yeah? Says who?
    Youse?
    Fawgeddabowdit!
    Cousin V.

17. Bama Samurai

Welcome aboard! Just so you realize, AS and prep don't count. Feel free to use AS for variety of you so desire!

wristwatchb, wmbjr, Bill_F and 5 others like this.
  18. Bama Samurai

Whut-a-you-kidding-me?

19. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

:signs046:

20. BigCabDaddy

BigCabDaddy Well-Known Member

I'm in! Focusing on breaking in my big bore boars: Omega 48 and 98 Pro, Semogue 2000, no name yet to arrive that I'm hoping is at least 24mm.