January 2016 30 Day Rule/Focus Pic&Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Bama Samurai, Dec 31, 2015.

?

What is your preferred brush bristle-type?

1. Badger

29 vote(s)
    43.9%
  2. Boar

17 vote(s)
    25.8%
  3. Synthetic

16 vote(s)
    24.2%
  4. Horse or other

4 vote(s)
    6.1%
  1. whiteboy_cannon

whiteboy_cannon Well-Known Member

okay thanks, I like these a lot so I will most likely stick with them anyways. I only have a couple extra options anyways.

wristwatchb, wmbjr, Bill_F and 4 others like this.
  2. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

I am a bit jealous of that selection. Old Spice is one I like very much, but is banned per Mrs. Samurai.

Happy wife, happy life.

3. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Welcome aboard.

4. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Welcome aboard. You'll be surprised how much your technique improves over 30 days.

5. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Sounds like a good plan. The big boar brushes are certainly nice. I recall that you've basically settled on one razor but I forget which one.

6. whiteboy_cannon

whiteboy_cannon Well-Known Member

My wife has yet to comment on the old spice scent. I like it a lot though, it is a pretty darn good AS. I can get it at my local grocery store, so the convenience is another plus. I'm sure I would be jealous of most what you use anyways, but I will acquire more stuff eventually, just may take time due to the wife and I trying to build up our savings more (essentially spending less haha)

7. TomJ89de

TomJ89de Well-Known Member

My friend professes that philosophy to me all the time, I'm only one year in so I'm still fighting the good fight. I give myself another year till I give in :happy097:

wristwatchb, wmbjr, Bill_F and 3 others like this.
  8. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

I am in 26 years going on 27. I've learned to only fight the important fights and let the rest go. ;)

9. TomJ89de

that will be my retort to the next lecture my mate delivers :happy088:

10. TomJ89de

I have a small confession.
    I cheated the survey I don't even know what the only brush I've tried is made of . I needed to see the results to know I need a badger. I'm willing to lose cookies for this offence

11. BigCabDaddy

BigCabDaddy Well-Known Member

I think what you remember is when I said that Cella was now my baseline soap. Of course that was before I tried MWF...

12. BigCabDaddy

BigCabDaddy Well-Known Member

What you "need" is the Razorock Plisoft. Anything beyond that is personal choice. ;)

13. TomJ89de

I've got to get some MWF everyone holds it in high regard

14. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

They did, but now it's a Mexican Hairless.
    image.jpg

15. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

16. TomJ89de

It wouldn't even be considered animal cruelty. The shave would be so nice

17. opsimath

opsimath Well-Known Member

I've been DE shaving for about three years, and a lurker for most of that time. I'm very comfortable with my shaves being completely random as regards gear and soap etc. but I think this 30 day rule will be both fun and instructive.

my gear for the month of January 2016:

Merkur 37c razor
    Astra Superior Platinum blades
    Omega 11047 mixed bristle brush
    any Stirling shaving soap (got oodles of flavors!)
    and Krampert's Finest Frostbite aftershave

I am confident that this will be a rewarding experiment, but I bet I will be eager for February so I can change things up again -- part of what keeps shaving interesting and fun!

18. TomJ89de

:eatdrink023:
    I get what your saying about keeping it interesting. I really struggled at first to not mix things up. But I was of the thinking, I know nothing and I'm here for advice, I'm not saying you are the same but that kept me on track. Within a week of this focus u won't care about changing things up, because you will be obsessed with technique and trying out all the tips you receive. Then by the end you will experiment with more confidence and a more realistic view. I got a sample pack of de's halfway through last focus and I haven't opened it the focus keeps it interesting :happy088:

19. TomJ89de

Can I add another challenge to my focus? It's not a change of gear but might be alot to take on with the 1924

20. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

It's your shave. What are are you thinking of adding?