January 2016 30 Day Rule/Focus Pic&Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Bama Samurai, Dec 31, 2015.

?

What is your preferred brush bristle-type?

1. Badger

29 vote(s)
    43.9%
  2. Boar

17 vote(s)
    25.8%
  3. Synthetic

16 vote(s)
    24.2%
  4. Horse or other

4 vote(s)
    6.1%
  1. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Great photo @clint64.:happy088::happy088::happy088:

2. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Excellent picture of great shaving gear.:happy088::happy088::happy088::happy088:

3. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

How :signs021:is that.:happy096::happy096:

4. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Outstanding shot.:happy096::happy096:

5. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Interesting looking brush handle. What is it made from?

6. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

It is a very good after shave. I don't believe I've read a bad review of it on TSD yet.

7. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

[​IMG]
    Wednesday

Blackbird
    Persona blue (7)
    Palmolive lemon
    Omega 10066
    Old Spice

2 passes and all good! Each pass made starting at the top of my beard line and going down to my neck. I had no need for touch ups today. Blade continues to perform well.

8. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Excellent picture. I like the look of that bowl.

9. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thank you.

10. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

Thank you! It was a gift from my wife. She purchased it from an etsy seller here in Colorado - Kristen Welch.

11. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

It's made from Elk antler, I purchased it from our own @gssixgun , I believe he still produces the. My picture does not do it justice.

12. TomJ89de

TomJ89de Well-Known Member

I had a similar experience last week everything was perfect. I was making a conscious effort to take my time and cut my usual shave time from 40 minutes to just over 20. Perhaps the saying, slow is smooth, smooth is fast has some bearing. Glad it went so well for you:happy088:

13. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

It feels great when things start to fall in place.

14. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Another nice picture! :happy088:

15. Bill_F

Bill_F Well-Known Member

1/13/16

Phoenix Double OC
    Rapira Super Stainless (3)
    Frank Shaving Pur-tech Synthetic brush
    C.O. Bigelow cream
    Georgetown G12 Scuttle
    Pinaud Clubman Original

IMG_2210.jpg

Third shave with my Phoenix DOC loaded with a Rapira Super Stainless.
    Did face lather and 2 full passes: Pass 1 XTG. Pass 2: ATG. Both with very good reduction. Followed up my second pass with a small amount of touch up with the lather already on my face. A cool water rinse and a medium amount of touch up in a few of my trouble spots brought home the baby. The Pinaud Clubman stung very little today, perhaps because of the cooling menthol of the C.O Bigelow shave cream. The C.O. Bigelow left me with enough lather for at least another pass.

A nice comfortable BBS from the Phoenix DOC and the Rapira Super Stainless. I haven't used the FS Pur-tech brush in a long time and it felt odd. I was able to get a nice lather that didn't dissipate, but it seemed thin on the brush and drier on the face than I like. Adding some water didn't really change the consistency on my face, it just made things a little more sloppy while lathering. I guess I'm just used to bowl lathering. Next time I'll add water over time until I have the consistency I like.

We're headed down to Florida to take our 8 year old grandson to see the Harry Potter world they've made at Universal Studios. I'm likely to go dark for a few days. I'll try to catch up when we return.

I hope everyone has a great day!

16. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

Planned Shave

WD unmarked sight unseen 6/8 between 1/4 and 1/2 hollow
    Semogue 1438
    Col Conk Amber soap
    Nivea sensitive if there is any left Axe Shield if there isn't

I just got done taking this razor back to the pasted strop. The steel is softer on this razor and it hones and dulls much faster. I did more laps then I usually do for a razor refresh, 30 laps CrOx, 30 laps FeOx, and about 60 on leather.

17. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

SOTD
    January 13, 2016
    Prep: Hot Shower. Axe Energizing Face Wash Boost
    Razor: Gillette Aristocrat
    Blade: Personna Lab Blue
    Lather: Gingers Garden Vetiver
    Brush: RazoRock Plissoft
    Aftershave: Gingers Garden Oakmoss
    Super relaxing shave. Gingers Garden products are superb. I'm going to shave my head later. I'll be using my Gillette Atra, old reliable. It's raining really hard right now! Weather dude said rain everyday for the rest of the month with the exception of January 20th. :happy088: Great pictures and write-ups!!
    Never let the things you WANT
    Make you forget the things you HAVE!
    image.jpg

18. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thank you Mark.

19. TomJ89de

TomJ89de Well-Known Member

From what I've found the proraso just tends to dry up quick regardless off the initial techniques building it. You can bring it back to life very easily though so perhaps it's part of the properties. I just dip my brush In water and rework the dry area. It always returns to a good lather. I think that's why it's so good for beginners, because it's so playable. With my maca root I have the initial process to get it right if I don't it can't really be saved. I don't have a vast experience so I could be wrong but that is my opinion.

Bill_F, wristwatchb, Rufus T. and 6 others like this.
  20. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Excellent picture!!!