January 2017 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Dec 31, 2016.

?

How long have you been part of the 30 Day Crew?

1. Charter Member baby! Since January 2015

7 vote(s)
    21.2%
  2. Over a year and a half

3 vote(s)
    9.1%
  3. About a year

4 vote(s)
    12.1%
  4. Last 6 months or so

3 vote(s)
    9.1%
  5. This is only my 2nd or 3rd month

4 vote(s)
    12.1%
  6. I'm a Newbie!!

8 vote(s)
    24.2%
  7. I'm not telling until you give me a cookie!!

11 vote(s)
    33.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

I see a novel in your future. The Feather SS is indeed a mighty and to-be-respected item and can lend itself to bloody mayhem in an instant. However, you are one step closer to mastering it. Or, at least, taming it enough to avoid death by incessant slicing. And remember - once you have the Feather Pro blade under control, the Super Pro awaits. Good times.

I do love me some pain sticks. I would like to add the high end Kai this year at some point. Can't remember the name at the moment (age again) but I know it's awesome looking and well over $100. Which is why it isn't currently sitting on my desk.

Douglas Carey, mrchick, PLAla and 5 others like this.
  2. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

I had the same issue when I tried the SS after learning on a CJB. Recently, though, it hasn't been the same problem. Not sure if it's just enough practice to learn how to deal with it, or just blind luck.

3. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

I'll add my congrats on the promotion. Interesting how moving up in the company brings with it all of those unwritten dress codes etc. Been there, done that. And wondered about it. Interestingly, at least to me, when I started with Mattress Firm, we were required to go business professional, meaning at least a tie if not coat and tie. Last summer they relaxed the rule to allow us to go without the tie for a few months. Then, reinstated the ties as required. Finally, about six weeks ago, they finally said no more ties required. Hopefully ever. I'm thinking they may go polos in the near future to maintain a semblance of order yet comfort. Business casual - much better. Maybe a suggestion in your suggestion box wherever that may be in the company? Yeah, I know....good luck.

4. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Congrats on the promotion, Adam!

5. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thank you :happy088:

6. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Congrats on the promotion Adam

7. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

January 12, 2017
    Timeless OC .95 Gap
    Rudy Vey with Shavemac Finest
    Route 66 Twisted Tweed
    Floid Amber Sample

[​IMG]

I am really enjoying my time with the Timeless OC this month. Another automatic near BBS two pass shave this morning. I finished the shave with a splash of Floid Amber. I hope everyone has a great Thursday.

8. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Oh no, it is great. I looked them up too, and really didn't figure that manufacterers of dental equipment were building $12.00 shavettes. That it was more of maybe an advertisement/promo thing. It certainly doesn't have the sterile type look of a medical device. Could be wrong.

As far as the razor itself, it has a nice feel, but is probably put together more poorly than either of the other two I have. It isn't pinned tightly enough, so it is pretty floppy, and you have to center it between the scales when you close it, or it will hit.

It does have a nice look to it, and it was a gift, so I am not complaining. I have named it Thompson.

Keithmax, Douglas Carey, RyX and 6 others like this.
  9. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

I think I'll name my R41 Petunia. :)

10. PickledNorthern

The Excelia. And it is just wicked looking. That is why I bought the Captain, was to see if I liked it before I went for it's big brother.

11. Norcalnewb

Great picture with a beautiful brush, Clint!

12. Norcalnewb

IMG_4743.JPG

January 12 SOTD:

Razorock Plissoft Brush
    Erasmic
    Gillette SS
    Clubman AS

Today's shave is probably the last for me with Erasmic. I just can't get it to lather well, which is odd for a shave stick. The lather was almost gone before I put my brush down. Luckily, the SS is an easy shaver. The Erasmic did also seem to leave some residual slickness, so I shaved without too much trouble. I did have to reapply the soap in between passes, as the lather was gone from the brush. In terms of post shave, Erasmic is also drying to me, probably the worst I have tried this month. The Clubman came in to save the day, though. I hope everyone has a great day!

13. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

[​IMG]
    Continuing with a focus on the Blackbird Open Comb and Feather blades. I changed up the soap and brush to my Vie Long 13061M horsehair and the soap to my jar of leftover bobs and bits. I'm using the Old Spice mug to soak my brush and remembering how to face lather with this little horse.
    Great shave with 2 passes taking care of the whiskers this morning.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

14. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thank you Jim.

15. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Jim the SS looks great. I recall reading others having issues with Eraamic soap as well.

16. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Cold Water.jpg
    SOTD January 12, 2017

Blade
    : Chinese Schick
    Razor: Schick J1 injector
    Brush: Omega 10049 boar
    Lather: Route 66 Rum Runner
    WTG, touch-up

Nice shave this morning. I had a little redness immediately after the shave, which is unusual, but it has subsided. The soap is excellent stuff. This is the same setup as I used yesterday. I love this big Omega boar but I'm thinking it's not the best brush for this soap, or either the tub is not conducive to good loading for that brush. The synthetic and badger that I've used have been much better brushes than the two boars I've used. That seems a little odd, but all brushes are different, and I wanted to try out all that I have to see what works best with Route 66. So far it has been my badger followed by the synthetic.

SOTD 1-12-17.JPG

17. PickledNorthern

Super pic!

18. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Thursday, January 12, 2017

Shavemac 400 Silvertip D01 Two Band
    Mystic Water Lavender Lime
    The OneBlade
    GEM SS PTFE #6
    Folsom & Co. Shambala

[​IMG]

19. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Thank you!

20. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Day 5 of my NEW Focus and the Feather Black is coming around. This morning it was really smooth and even mowed down the under jawline stubble. When I started this week, I broke out the Parker Silvertip I used before I bought my Omega 6212. I think I'm gonna go back to it as my daily driver and save the Omega for Sunday's. The Proraso Green is continuing, as this is "Green is Good" week. Finished the shave with a cold towel & Canoe AS. And, the Caf at work had steak and eggs for breakfast! It's gonna be a good day!!

:bounce017: