January 2019 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by NCoxSTL, Dec 31, 2018.

?

What is your New Year shaving related resolution?

1. I'm going to do the hardest of all - a No-Buy '19

9 vote(s)
    17.6%
  2. I'm going to try shaving with straight razors (pain sticks included)

9 vote(s)
    17.6%
  3. I'm going to reduce the number of soaps in my den

14 vote(s)
    27.5%
  4. I'm going to buy everything in sight and build an addition to hold it all!!

6 vote(s)
    11.8%
  5. I'm going to shave. Simple, right?

30 vote(s)
    58.8%
  6. I'm going to eat more cookies. Or donuts. Or ice cream.

17 vote(s)
    33.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FaceScraper

FaceScraper Well-Known Member

I have one straight that I refurbed, that needs to be honed. I got the Parker to see if I can get the hang of open blade shaving, and if I enjoy it before heading over to the dark side.
    I think you'll get the hang of it fairly fast, and find it enjoyable. Even using the off hand starts to feel less awkward in a fairly short period of time. I look forward to watching your progress.

2. FaceScraper

Beautiful!! :smiley respect:

Boojum1, Linuxguile, 9nein9 and 5 others like this.
  3. FaceScraper

Thank you, Charlie! This morning it felt more like an old friend, rather than something intimidating. It has my full respect. All the NO products have a variation of an otter drawing.
    It beats this:
    [​IMG]

Herm2502, Linuxguile, 9nein9 and 12 others like this.
  4. FaceScraper

Well done, Robert!

Linuxguile, 9nein9, Hembree and 3 others like this.
  5. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Thanks for the NO endorsement, Bruce. I'm sure there's a story behind the name and logo. I can't say it appeals to me, but wait, I shave with a brush full of badger or hog hair. :)

I wouldn't buy or use that juice in the photo on a bet. :shocked003:

6. FaceScraper

I think they'd live up to even your high standards! ;)

7. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

I'm sure @Primotenore will let us know in his usual roundabout way. ;)

8. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

Hi everyone! I thought I was going to do shave number 8 tomorrow, but I was like a kid playing with his birthday present. As I stated earlier in this thread, I just acquired my green insert that holds Personna hairshaper blades for my Dovo Shavette. I also stated that for this month I was only going to shave my head with a safety razor, but shave my face with the shavette. Sorry guys, I lied. My 8th shavette shave for the month was shaving my two day growth on my head with the Personna headshaper blade with my new green insert. I did not shave my face because I will do that tomorrow and it will be considered shavette shave number 9 but with the Dovo long blade in black insert. Like I said earlier in this thread, I need to see if this Dovo blade is spent after 5 shaves. Anyway, getting back to my headshave this evening, the Personna headshaper did a very good job. I did one pass and 90 % was smooth. I decided to do a quick second pass with my Rockwell 6C adjustable on plate 6 and I was done with a BBS and a tiny nick. Would you believe it came from my adjustable and not my shavette. Lol! I have to say in my ten years of headshaving, this was the quickest and smoothest shave ever. It usually takes me three passses and touchup to get BBS on my head. Now, I grade higher than normal because I don't use mirrors and used a straight for the headshave which is harder than faceshaving . It is because the head has many nooks and crannies that make it easier to nick.

Result Grade 97 = A+

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
    Herm2502, Linuxguile, 9nein9 and 12 others like this.
  9. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

I do enjoy the scent of Flying Hide.
    "Scented with an outdoorsy aroma of leather, hay, cedar, and bergamot" is the description from Noble Otter. Leather is by far the dominant scent to my nose. As Bruce said it's a great performer.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

10. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

It's pretty laughably bad.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

11. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thank you Bruce. The Karve was feeling neglected. Also decided the "Weapon Jr." needs some love as well so I have decided to use it with the Karve over the coming days.

PLAla, Linuxguile, 9nein9 and 6 others like this.
  12. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

You did great on that score. ......you should have kissed them right after you paid them.

clint64, PLAla, Linuxguile and 6 others like this.
  13. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

January - Shavettes and Jeeves!

January 12 - Blade Trials

Razor - 1962 (H1) Gillette Slim (9)
    Blade - [​IMG] (3)
    Soap - Arko
    Brush - Jayaruh #46
    Post - Alum

Strange day here in Cartel land. Woke up to about 10" of snow on the ground and still coming down lightly. Got up, had coffee, checked in here, got ready to go to work, cleaned off the car, went to work and as I was just getting things started got a call from the bosses that they had decided to close all of our stores today in STL due to weather. Seriously? We couldn't have decided that an hour earlier? So, I locked up, drove back through the slush and muck and spent the day organizing my desk, checking in here, watching a movie with the Mrs. and generally just doing a lot of nothing. As of tonight we have a minor thaw going, it seems. It's just above freezing so I expect a bit less snow on the ground in the morning.

As for the shave tonight - number three on the Blade Trial for the Super Gillette Blue Blade. Slim turned all the way up to 9, great lather from Arko and the JR46 and after three passes the baby is again in the house, though the alum is slightly warm on my neck. That's something that sometimes happens as the gap opens so I'm not really concerned. What impresses me is that this blade took all three shaves without creating any weepers or blood, the feeling was smooth throughout all three shaves and the result was consistent. Judging from what slight irritation there is and the overall feel I would say that three shaves is plenty on these blades, but I certainly wouldn't have a problem using them as a daily blade if I had to. Nice find on these from @John Ruschmeyer ! Now, tomorrow I'll give the razor they sell with the blades a go. I'm pretty sure it's the same razor as the Rapira razor, or at least looks the same. We'll see if I can get a smooth shave out of it. The Rapira razor isn't always so generous.

So you wanna know what the plan is after tomorrow's shave? Well here it is in a nutshell....well...calendar anyway.

January Calendar.jpg
    I know you can all read my writing so there will be no surprises! If nothing else that proves that when I go down the blade trial path I have a plan. Not that it can't be modified. Basically 6 more blades to trial this month starting Monday so it should be interesting! My Parker SRX will get to remain unused until February which is fine. I don't mind extending shavettes a bit. And, there's a surprise coming that I think @wchnu Fuzzy will definitely like.

Have a great Saturday night and a fantastic Sunday!

January 12 2019.jpg

14. Hembree

97 - A+............I think you are going to pass this semester. Congratulations!

clint64, PLAla, 9nein9 and 8 others like this.
  15. Trigger

Thanks Hembree!
    Prior to October 2018, I wasn't thinking about straight shaving with a shavette, let alone a traditional one. I have been a DE safety razor guy for a few years. What prompted me into straight shaving was the challenge to see if I could do it. I was always leery of straights because I am somewhat klutzy and I have nerve damage on some of my fingers on my left hand. However, I started with the shavette in October and took to it pretty well without cutting my face so that by my 16th shave I did my first headshave with my Dovo shavette. Now, with 33 shavette and 29 traditional straight shaves, I won't say I am on cruise control, but I will say that I am shaving with the greatest of ease. By the way, you won't catch me on a trapeze anytime soon!

NCoxSTL, clint64, PLAla and 7 others like this.
  16. Hembree

Sounds like you are making great progress. I will get a shavette shave in tomorrow. I don't know if I'll use the Dovo or the Sextoblade. This will be my second shavette shave this month. I think the red handle sexy Sextoblade is calling me. We will see.

clint64, PLAla, 9nein9 and 8 others like this.
  17. Trigger

Go for It!

clint64, PLAla, 9nein9 and 6 others like this.
  18. brit

brit in a box

lovely pic sir..

clint64, PLAla, 9nein9 and 3 others like this.
  19. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Another early shave and late post. I started off with a church men’s breakfast and then went to a fly fishing expo with a couple of buddies. Only bought one rod Ended the day with dinner with friends. It was a great day. Now I’m packing for an early flight.
    On the road again
    Not a bad shave if you don’t count the attempted removal of my Adam’s Apple.
    Mystery Soap
    B-400 Brush by Tom
    Feather SS AC Kamisori
    Feather Pro Super Blade
    Thayers Rose Witch Hazel
    Stirling Rose After Shave [​IMG]

Hembree, Herm2502, clint64 and 15 others like this.
  20. Hembree

Sound like an awesome day except for the adams apple. Congratulations!

clint64, PLAla, 9nein9 and 6 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.