January 2019 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by NCoxSTL, Dec 31, 2018.

?

What is your New Year shaving related resolution?

1. I'm going to do the hardest of all - a No-Buy '19

9 vote(s)
    17.6%
  2. I'm going to try shaving with straight razors (pain sticks included)

9 vote(s)
    17.6%
  3. I'm going to reduce the number of soaps in my den

14 vote(s)
    27.5%
  4. I'm going to buy everything in sight and build an addition to hold it all!!

6 vote(s)
    11.8%
  5. I'm going to shave. Simple, right?

30 vote(s)
    58.8%
  6. I'm going to eat more cookies. Or donuts. Or ice cream.

17 vote(s)
    33.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Thank you. Unfortunately, this is going to be a busy work week and no time for fishing.

2. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Ein schönes Bild, lieber Keith! Hoi-jo to-ho!
    iu.jpg

3. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Nice!!
    I'll add 10 extra points for neatness!
    wonderfull head shave.

Joe 107 A+

tp

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
  4. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I even used the bath soap, I went all in for the grandma‘s purse vibe.

5. 9nein9

9nein9 Guest

Another detailed and informative report Neal. Enjoy your Sunday

Sounds like a busy day Brian. Great shave
    Awesome post Keith

6. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Good Sunday morning!
    Seems the replaceable open blades are out and going strong. :happy088:
    This mornings shave here is on the verg of "woud ya just stop already! Geesh"
    20190113_082927.jpg The head shave was wonderful, clean and smooth. The Fatip with a new Polsilver blade didn't let me down, 3 great passes. It was the first time I let the gord grow for 2 days, no issues.

Now the face was a different story. Using my shavette the first pass was close and smooth, unlike any first pass before. The second pass I got the left side of my chin to close. This spot has been rough the whole time using an open blade. Can't seem to get my arm contorted, twisted, or whatever it takes to get the gental coverage like the other side. Now for the neck, the right side is close as a 3 pass shave with a R41/Feather smoth and nice. The left side, different story. Seems I need to get my left or right arm set to manuver the blade while I streatch the skin. I left some hot spots on my neck trying to get the left side as close and smooth as the right side. Nothing that leaked, but still, there they are.
    So now that I seem to be able to wield this blade without serious injury, getting a close smooth 2 pass shave is now on the agenda, today was not it.
    Seems that a two pass shavette is as close or almost as close as a 3 pass DE/SE, at least it is to me.
    Can't wait till I can good 3 pass with this little tool.
    The plan is to do the left side first, then go to the right side. Might be less strugle and not as long into the aerobics work out. ;)
    Enjoy
    tp

7. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

January 13, 2019

Wolfman WR1-OC Darwin Ti
    Feather HS
    Doug Korn Prototype TGN Finest
    MDC Original
    Fine Green Vetiver
    Burberry for Men

Wonderful relaxing shave today after a long hot shower. Two passes with minor cleanup and my face is smooth and refreshed. DK Prototype, my first DK, felt great in the hand and the TGN knot is 'muy' primo. MDC is disappearing fast, hard to say how many shaves are left. I'm using my "lather monster" brushes and sticking with this soap to the Finish Line. Great shaves today brothers!

[​IMG]

8. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Terry, your progress is just astounding. Maybe not exactly what you wanted today, but overall I'm very impressed with what you've done so far!

9. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

Good morning everyone! After last night's headshave, I was psyched going into my morning shave with my Dovo shavette. I went back to the long blade to see if this blade will be spent on the 5th shave. I was correct. I shaved with this blade and the toe end was dull, but the heel end was fine. I attribute this to leaning toward the toe end when I shave and was the reason why I got more than normal nicks in my shave no. 7. Therefore, I had to be a little more creative in manipulating the shavette by shaving heel side for the entire shave. It was kind of strange for me to shave that way. However, the good news! I was able to get a BBS shave with 2 passes and 1 weeper. I attribute the weeper to shaving entirely on the heel of the blade which is out of my comfort zone. Therefore, here is my grade for today's shave.

Result 97 = A+

PS I tossed the Dovo long blade, so it is only good for 5 shaves.

10. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Thanks for the encouragement Perry.
    Your right, not what I wanted, but I kinda expected it when going over the same spot like I did. Just part of the learning curve.
    I did have a nice, hot, stronge, black cup of coffee afterwards. :)
    life is good!
    tp

11. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

My building(in fact, presumably the whole complex here)is having boiler issues, thus my shower water was warm at best. The same happened at my sink for my shave. Yet I got it done to my liking with the Stoylin Soap&Aftershave combination. No issues, just a nice DFS.

12. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Wonderful Joe, just wonderful!
    I do think you grade a little hard.
    I don't think I'd pass your class...;)
    tp
    tp

13. Trigger

Terry, you did great today! Keep doing what you are doing. You just arrived on the beach head ready to take on the enemy. I know you will take no prisoners.

14. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Sounds like an awesome day despite the Adam's apple. Congrats on the new rod and have a safe trip.

15. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Paul
    I like!
    Nothing should interfere with a DFS.
    :happy088:
    tp

16. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

Well fellas great lather again today with Williams. Seriously, I just don't get the Williams hate!
    Anyway, positive January continues on.
    I still love my Stetson Fresh!
    IMG_20190113_100241_181.jpg

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
  17. Trigger

I am a retired teacher, so I grade hard to keep me humble and to strive better on every shave. Now, I don't put pressure on myself (pun intended), because I want to enjoy my shaving experience. I have been straight shaving for 3 months and I still have a ways to go before I consider myself at the Mastery level. I know that with each shave it is always different fron the previous one. That's what makes it exciting for me.

18. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Great shave and photo Amigo. The soap is hanging tough.

Hembree, Frijolero, 9nein9 and 3 others like this.
  19. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Thanks Joe.
    At the very least it should intimidate them if they see me shaving with this thing.:D
    tp

20. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

A fellow educator! I'm a current teacher. Mark @Boojum1 is a retired teacher. @Troy M is a current educator. Glad to know you fought the good fight with us!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.