January 2019 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by NCoxSTL, Dec 31, 2018.

?

What is your New Year shaving related resolution?

1. I'm going to do the hardest of all - a No-Buy '19

9 vote(s)
    17.6%
  2. I'm going to try shaving with straight razors (pain sticks included)

9 vote(s)
    17.6%
  3. I'm going to reduce the number of soaps in my den

14 vote(s)
    27.5%
  4. I'm going to buy everything in sight and build an addition to hold it all!!

6 vote(s)
    11.8%
  5. I'm going to shave. Simple, right?

30 vote(s)
    58.8%
  6. I'm going to eat more cookies. Or donuts. Or ice cream.

17 vote(s)
    33.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

20190116_203654.jpg Look what came on today. The brush on the far right arrived today. It is a slightly used 22mm Parker CHST. Chrome handle silver tip. It is a very heavy brush and the deal was to good to pass up. This is my first badger brush and I love how it fans out.

Primotenore, RyX, Boojum1 and 13 others like this.
  2. Rkep01

Rkep01 Well-Known Member

Here's mine. 20190116_150038.png

Attached Files:

Primotenore, RyX, Boojum1 and 15 others like this.
  3. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

No, it's legit as is. It's identical to the ones that @ajc347 posted to The almost sort of Comprehensive Guide to the Gillette Tech and to @RyX's Rothbart.

RyX, FaceScraper, PLAla and 10 others like this.
  4. Hembree

Beautiful razor. I need a picture of the razor open showing the blade pressure spring. Thanks for sharing you pictures and it is an amazing razor.

FaceScraper, PLAla, clint64 and 5 others like this.
  5. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Thanks guys!

FaceScraper, PLAla, clint64 and 2 others like this.
  6. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

I'll take some in the next day or two and post them up. Nice looking razor as well, even with the spring problem.

RyX, FaceScraper, PLAla and 6 others like this.
  7. Hembree

Thanks....no big hurry. It was one of those deals that I did not notice that it was missing till after I bought it but I think it was a good price even with the broken spring.

RyX, FaceScraper, PLAla and 6 others like this.
  8. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

FaceScraper, PLAla, clint64 and 2 others like this.
  9. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Well you left me little choice after letting me try yours plus that Gem Jr. Guess what I'm still on the hunt for? :signs002: I was actually chasing a Gem when I ran into the Kampfe and knew enough to stop and secure that one before continuing on. I'll take my membership with pride. I should probably award you a special merit badge in enabling as well.

RyX, FaceScraper, PLAla and 8 others like this.
  10. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Hello all.
    Not even gona try to go through the post tonight. To many, to tired, sorry.

The shavette was bloodless this morning and it was a good 2 pass shave too. Not as close as I like, a little hot spot above the adams apple, but OK. Getting the Personna blades at the right angle and pressure (none) now.
    The finger got hold of the blade wrong so there was a small cut there. Yes, yes, keep the d*m finger out of the way ;). I'll never learn....

The head got its normal 3 pass shave with the Fatip Retro and Polsilver blade, smooth and no issues.

To all, shave well, sleep well.
    Good night!
    enjoy
    tp

Primotenore, RyX, Linuxguile and 13 others like this.
  11. Rkep01

Rkep01 Well-Known Member

Best I could do on short notice. Hope this helps. 20190116_221147.png

Primotenore, RyX, Boojum1 and 12 others like this.
  12. Hembree

That is big help. It is hard to replicate something when you do not know what it looks like. I'll start scratching something up to make it out of and I'll post my progress. I will probably use brass because that would be easier to work with. Thanks.

RyX, Linuxguile, 9nein9 and 9 others like this.
  13. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

January - Shavettes and Jeeves!

January 16 - Blade Trials
    Razor - 1962 (H1) Gillette Slim (6)
    Blade - [​IMG] (2)
    Soap - Arko
    Brush - Jayaruh #312
    Post - Alum

My Monday is over. Typical catch up after two days off and the boss always drops by to start the week off. I think he actually just likes to hide in my store before he has to talk to the idiot down the street at his next stop. He noticed my freshly shaved head and commented on how smooth it was so we talked razors a bit. I think he's considering trying out a safety razor. I offered to set him up with gear or at least recommend what to use. We'll see how that goes.

Another momentous event today - after 8 years of Bachelor's Degree and working through the Master's program in Marriage and Family Therapy, my wife started her practicum today. For the next nine to twelve months she will be working with and under the supervision of a licenced MFT to get her hours for graduation, which will then put her in position to intern for her license. This has been a long process for her but she saw today, for the first time, the finish line in seeing her dream come true. I am so proud of her for her commitment and for hanging in through some very tough times. She sat in on two sessions today and will start seeing her own clients in the next week or so. Whew! We're near the end. Red Robin to celebrate tonight after I got off of work so I'm happy about that too!

Ok. Back to shaving stuff. Day two on the Vi-John SS blade. Slim on 6, and I chose the JR312 to whip the Arko into shape. This brush has the synthetic horse knot in it and it's very fun to use. It acts and feels more like a real horse than I thought it would and I love that. No issues with the lather and no issues with three passes. The blade is still smooth and the only bump in the road was the cut near my ear that I earned two shaves ago by a bad set down. That caught in the gap on the XTG because I forgot about it and didn't get up on the cap to avoid it. No real blood, just a reminder it's there. Can't blame the blade for that. My fault. I'm thinking tomorrow's finish with this blade will be a great one. No heat from the alum, BBS on three passes and that's a great way to finish up. Have a great Thursday!

January 16 2018.jpg

Paul76, Primotenore, RyX and 15 others like this.
  14. brit

brit in a box

very cool , just scored a 50s vintage german tech with aluminum baseplate ad handle..will post it when it arrives..

RyX, Linuxguile, Hembree and 8 others like this.
  15. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Ok boys and girls! Here's the latest mail call and we'll play "what's in the box" again just because! Anyone know what's on the inside of this one?

Wilkie Box.jpg

Paul76, Primotenore, RyX and 12 others like this.
  16. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

That’s called a Hembree centerfold

Paul76, RyX, FaceScraper and 5 others like this.
  17. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

Um, a Wilkie?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

18. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

You, sir, are correct!

Wilkie.jpg

A 1930's Wilkinson Sword Seven Day Safety Razor, complete with all blade, the handle and strop. I believe this would also be the one they called the "Empire Set". This was the second of these I found on ebay. I had watched the auction on the first one and had a max bid set to snipe then pulled it because I decided I didn't really have a "use" for it. Then this one showed up and I did the same thing, only I didn't pull the bid. Decided if nothing else it's a good conversation piece and paperweight on my desk. The blades look to be in decent shape. I'm sure they need work to actually shave. It's a cool piece and that's enough for me at the moment.

Paul76, Primotenore, RyX and 11 others like this.
  19. brit

brit in a box

very cool..now that would be a cool razor to do a focus with..

20. Rkep01

Rkep01 Well-Known Member

I don't know how you would make brass springy, though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.