January 2019 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by NCoxSTL, Dec 31, 2018.

?

What is your New Year shaving related resolution?

1. I'm going to do the hardest of all - a No-Buy '19

9 vote(s)
    17.6%
  2. I'm going to try shaving with straight razors (pain sticks included)

9 vote(s)
    17.6%
  3. I'm going to reduce the number of soaps in my den

14 vote(s)
    27.5%
  4. I'm going to buy everything in sight and build an addition to hold it all!!

6 vote(s)
    11.8%
  5. I'm going to shave. Simple, right?

30 vote(s)
    58.8%
  6. I'm going to eat more cookies. Or donuts. Or ice cream.

17 vote(s)
    33.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Thanks Danny!

2. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Dream on Randy! :p Not sure why you're having trouble with the iColoniali. I'm on my second puck and never had any trouble with it. It's great stuff! No need to play with it or doctor it up.
    Two suggestions: 1) BLOOM IT! 2) Load the crap out of it.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
    wristwatchb, brit, Keithmax and 11 others like this.
  3. RyX

RyX DoH!

Thanks Bruce! If I keep swinging it either I'll get good or bored. Never going to be a full time Ninja because I like my DEs & Injectors, too.

4. Rkep01

Rkep01 Well-Known Member

Glad to hear that you're coming along. I was thinking, after our q&a, that I should have mentioned slowing down your stropping strokes. You actually gain nothing by stropping with fast strokes. My stroke technique is about 1 second for the entire out and back stroke. That enables you to watch the blade and ensure that you have full contact at the proper angle (both spine and edge riding on the leather). Another thing to watch is to minimize the amount of slack in the strop itself. You don't have to pull the strop out of the wall, just apply enough tension to keep the leather firm to avoid inadvertently rolling the edge. I bet you never thought there was so much to SR shaving, huh. Don't get discouraged. There's even more to discuss about stropping intervals, but we'll leave that for another post. Just remember - practice makes perfect.

Terry, wristwatchb, brit and 14 others like this.
  5. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    We're making progress, Danny, thanks.

6. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

The King is such a cool looking razor, Danny! Gongrats!
    Awesome photo and shave, Bruce!
    Thanks Terry! As the saying goes "I'd buy that for a dollar"!
    Superb photo, Chris!
    Very nice, Neal. Cant wait to see how the Platinum compares. Not bad for a four cent blade huh?
    Congrats on 9k, Perry!!
    Excellent shave, Rick!
    That Bismark is quite the looker, Keith!
    Cool photo and and filter, Jim!
    Awesome shot and shave for a Fat Featherweight Friday, Perry!
    Grate tutorial, Joseph!
    Very nice Aaron!
    Sounds like a good one, John! That sample is still hanging around?
    Glad you are making progress! Beautiful photo, Joseph!
    Georgeous photo my friend! What size knot is in your 30DCLE ? I have a 26mm in mine and I think perhaps it has risen to the level of being my favorite synthetic brush!
    Stunning photo, Mark!

Terry, wristwatchb, brit and 13 others like this.
  7. Primotenore

Article Team
    Looking forward to the education. :)

8. Primotenore

Article Team
    I saw what you did there, Andrew...;)

9. Primotenore

Article Team
    :)

10. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

Thanks Andrew. Give the boys a hug from all of us today.

11. Rkep01

Rkep01 Well-Known Member

Here are some better photos, if you're still interested.
    20190118_101501.png 20190118_101501.png 20190118_101703.png

Terry, wristwatchb, brit and 10 others like this.
  12. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

Why do you keep putting him back in?

Eventually I’m gonna wear you down, Mark! Not sure I’d say I’m having problems with the soap since I’m getting good shaves from it; I just don’t get what all the fuss is about. I don’t seem to have the other worldly experiences with it that others report.

13. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Thank you, Andrew!

I just measured the brush at a little over 27mm where it meets the handle. Not sure what it is at the base. Maybe Jason @jtspartan can chime in with the details. Love the size and shape of the handle, especially when using the scuttle with its deeper bowl.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

14. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

SOTD January 18th
    [​IMG]

Stirling Mentholated Pre-Shave Soap
    EDRIO #11 Merkur 34C
    Gillette Nacet (2)
    Jayaruh #134 (24mm, Frigate Class)
    Van Yulay "Seriously Lime" soap
    Homemade Lime AS
    Stirling Lime PSB

This morning shave featured my very first DE razor. For a long time this razor was my baseline and still provides great shaves. But now that my technique has developed I find that this razor is too mild for my liking and really wants to have a little pressure to get it to cut close enough for my liking which I am just not willing to give it. Paired with a nice sharp Nacet blade the 34C provided a DFS after three passes and thats good enough for me. With a name like "Seriously Lime" you might think that this soap would have a strong lime scent, not quite. Perhaps I had an older sample that has lost some of its scent. It did have a bit of menthol in it though which was a pleasant surprise. I mashed about 3 grams into my Dry Dock lather both and whipped it into a creamy, shiny, slick lather. You don't hear much about Van Yulay soaps these days which is a shame because they perform quite well and they have a ton of scent options available. I am so ready for a three day weekend. Have a great day and weekend my friends!

TGIF!!
    8160.jpeg

Terry, wristwatchb, brit and 15 others like this.
  15. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Happy Friday Jim. I hope you have a great day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

Great photos and they will be a great help. It appears that the arm is straight from the pivot point and then has a 90 degree bend up to where it contacts the back of the blade. Does this sound right? It is hard to tell if it is 90 degrees. I also found some stainless steel shims that I can scavage some material from.

17. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

January 18th
    '59 Flare Tip w Astra SP (3)
    Jeeves Cherry Blossom (from @Screwtape) SS
    WD HM Badger / Cypress (from @RyX) handle
    Thayers
    Barrister's Reserve Spice AS
    IMG_1652.jpg
    Last day of the week with the Flare Tip. I've had a week of great shaves with this humble TTO. Ironically, today's shave was the worst of the bunch. Still a decent shave, but for some reason I got a lousy lather. Not sure why, to be honest.
    Did what I do every other day when I decide to face lather, definitely loaded enough product, but it was thin and disappearing by the third pass. Not too worried about it, next time will be back to normal I would imagine.
    Next up in my 'oft-neglected' rotation is an Open Comb Micromatic I won in a PIF by @Linuxguile. I wouldn't call it neglected per se, but rather that it came in and then got a week right at the end of SE September, made a brief appearance in OC October, got its one day in No Repeat November and then didn't meet the criteria for DE December. I'm looking forward to a week with it.
    Have a great day all!

Terry, wristwatchb, brit and 15 others like this.
  18. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Great report and photos, Andrew! Loving the dry dock!

TGIF!!!
    Wonderful picture of the Whiz Kid!
    Enjoy your long weekend!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

19. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Great shave and photo for Fat and Featherweight Friday. Have fun at the conference.

20. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Great shave John.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.