January 2020 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by NCoxSTL, Dec 31, 2019.

?

What year did you join our happy band of shavers?

1. 2015 - CHARTER MEMBER - I was here the day we began!

6 vote(s)
    10.7%
  2. 2015 - February or later

4 vote(s)
    7.1%
  3. 2016

4 vote(s)
    7.1%
  4. 2017

7 vote(s)
    12.5%
  5. 2018

8 vote(s)
    14.3%
  6. 2019

17 vote(s)
    30.4%
  7. I'm brand new in 2020

5 vote(s)
    8.9%
  8. I don't remember. I've inhaled too much shaving soap for my brain to function.

8 vote(s)
    14.3%
  9. Not sure but it's been longer than a day

6 vote(s)
    10.7%
  10. So we still get cookies, right? And ice cream? I heard rumors.

16 vote(s)
    28.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Jeeves January is definitely a potential theme for this month. Good choice!

Drygulch, jgreenepa, clint64 and 10 others like this.
  2. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

I can easily do an all Stirling month just from the variety I have. All those scents....so little time!

Drygulch, jgreenepa, clint64 and 9 others like this.
  3. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

The MMOC is a fine shaving tool. It's one that you can master but never trust. Makes it more fun that way when it can bite without warning!

Drygulch, jgreenepa, clint64 and 8 others like this.
  4. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Anybody who has been around since the first couple of months is just the same as a charter member. The difference fades every year. We're just the "old timers".

5. jason koonce

jason koonce Well-Known Member

I want to say I am in. I have a couple packages I need to pick up. Hopefully my lapping film is in so I can get into my focus lol. I may not be able to do Jeeves January as I do not have nor have I tried their soaps. But I can definitely do strirling.

6. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

And the legendary Stirling performance doesn't hurt either!

Sent from my Galaxy using Tapatalk

7. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

Welcome aboard!

8. Hembree

HAPPY 5TH ANNIVERSARY Neal!

9. Hembree

I'll be doing a no shave focus for January.

Just kidding. ....I ain't figured it out yet. I have a few new razors I need to try out. I may just try to run through all of my soaps. Let me think about it.

10. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

:signs011:

11. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

January is going to be the start of thinning the herd around here. Primarily with soaps. I have several that are partials that need to be used up as I don't plan on replenishing them. For instance, Soap Commander (Courage), Oleo Soapworks El Caballero, Moon Soaps Old Style, Jeeves Bay Rum. My plan is to start with one of those and use it the majority of the time to start using it up. I'm thinking 5 days with 2 days off to use Stirling or something else I'm keeping. As I go I'll also go through my razors and decide what should perhaps be PIF'd away or maybe just go into the "display" category. Basically I'm minimizing and trying to get down to the core stuff I really like and prefer to use. In addition I'll throw in some extra pain stick shaves this month since it is January after all. You know, shavettes and all that. As for brushes, I'm pretty happy with the selection I currently have. A majority of them are customs and that's why they'll all stay.

12. timabababaluka

timabababaluka No exceptions. Except.....

I don't use anything other than Stirling--my biggest challenge would be bringing a different soap on board :rofl:

Hmmmm perhaps a future challenge...

13. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

I'm in with these two for a No Repeat PAA month. Question for my fellow participants: if we get to the end of the month and haven't gone through our PAA inventories, are we going to continue into next month?

Also, as a side note, Happy New Year 30DC. It is just a few minutes away here in Sugar Land, TX. I hope everyone has a blessed 2020. I am looking forward to more fun and camaraderie with everyone this month and year.

14. brit

brit in a box

very cool Jim..happy new year..

15. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

Happy New Year!
    I am going to have as my theme Jumbling/Juggling January. I am going to pick any hardware and software with no rhyme or reason. I may use the same razor, soap and brush 2 or 3 times, or mix it up depending on my mood, etc. Bottomline: I will do what I want without thinking about it.

16. MrEE

MrEE Half Naked Shave Stalker

Happy New Year! I am undecided on my rule/focus. I think I will shave with the favorites I haven't used since I joined 30DC. I haven't used my slant or my Parker Variant in months. After that maybe I will do 30 days with the REX.

17. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Happy New Year from the mountain time zone!

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

18. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Happy New Year, Jim!

I say keep it going until they have all been used. I want to see your entire PAA collection.

19. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Kicking off the year with the razor that really kicked off my interest in straights razors. This Dovo Bismarck was the second straight razor I owned and the first nice razor I bought. I started with a Whipped Dog sight unseen special but it did not capture my interest and ultimately PIFed it.

This is the razor I recommend for someone getting started in straights. While recommend an inexpensive vintage blade due to cost I differ in that you do not know if the razor is in good shape or has hone wear etc.. I recommend this razor honed by someone who know how to put an edge on blade. It is a the Goldilocks in term of specs, 6/8 hollow grind with a round point. Easy to handle and easy to maintain. I also think spending a little more money and have shiny razor adds to the incentive to overcome the longer learning curve.

So thanks to the 30DC and this razor I am now firmly ensconced in the dark side.

ID - 1.jpeg

Linuxguile, Terry, Drygulch and 16 others like this.
  20. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Awesome, Keith! Beautiful razor!
    Happy New Year!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.