January 2020 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by NCoxSTL, Dec 31, 2019.

?

What year did you join our happy band of shavers?

1. 2015 - CHARTER MEMBER - I was here the day we began!

6 vote(s)
    10.7%
  2. 2015 - February or later

4 vote(s)
    7.1%
  3. 2016

4 vote(s)
    7.1%
  4. 2017

7 vote(s)
    12.5%
  5. 2018

8 vote(s)
    14.3%
  6. 2019

17 vote(s)
    30.4%
  7. I'm brand new in 2020

5 vote(s)
    8.9%
  8. I don't remember. I've inhaled too much shaving soap for my brain to function.

8 vote(s)
    14.3%
  9. Not sure but it's been longer than a day

6 vote(s)
    10.7%
  10. So we still get cookies, right? And ice cream? I heard rumors.

16 vote(s)
    28.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

Terrific shave, Keith! I concur that having a nice looking straight gives the newbie an incentive to continue to use it. However, I disagree on first using a 6/8 straight as a beginner because it may be harder to manipulate the razor under tight spots like the nose, etc. The smaller 5/8 razor aids the newbie because it is much lighter and thus better control in shaving and stropping. Of course, this is what conventional wisdom states. I have also read that you should go for the 6/8 from the start because you are eventually going to try the larger razor anyway. My first traditional straight was the Dovo Special 5/8 round point because I liked the way it looked and felt that I would be more comfortable starting out small straight. In part, thanks to you, I went to the 6/8 and up and prefer the larger blades. In any case, it really is up to the newbie to decide what width size he should choose to begin his straight razor journey.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2020
  2. Trigger

Happy New Year, Maestro! Your collection of shaving paraphernalia is awesome, extensive and diverse, so I understand why you would pull back on getting more stuff.

Linuxguile, Terry, Drygulch and 11 others like this.
  3. Trigger

Awesome first shave of the new year, Paul!

Linuxguile, Drygulch, brit and 7 others like this.
  4. Trigger

Terrific first shave of the new year, Jim!

5. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

When you get to the H's(your alphabet plan), let me know how you feel about Home On The Range(that is, presuming you have it).

6. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

That it was, Joe! Thanks!

7. Paul Turner

Joe thanks....it was indeed a nice one. Course that puts the onus on me to have 364 MORE nice shaves-but that's my aim!!

Linuxguile, Drygulch, brit and 8 others like this.
  8. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Home on the Range is one of the many PAA scents I don't have, Paul. Sorry I can't help on that one.

Linuxguile, Drygulch, brit and 8 others like this.
  9. Paul Turner

Oh ok....I may go for that one next(but who knows when THAT will be, unless I finish a soap and don't feel like buying it again?).

10. Paul Turner

On this 1st day of the year, the only comment I have on the above survey is that I predict it will be well bunched right up to the end.

Linuxguile, Terry, Drygulch and 8 others like this.
  11. Trigger

I get a kick on how you guys shave every day! I used to shave everyday, but my stubble is whiter so it doesn't show the shadow as much. Also, my shaves last longer using a straight. Finally, I always thought my beard was heavy, but I do not because I only see my skin and not any shadow after shaving. My eldest brother has a blue beard that when he shaves his face has that "bluish" tinge after he shaves. I am fortunate that I did not inherit that trait.

Linuxguile, Terry, Drygulch and 12 others like this.
  12. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Great looking shave and photo Jim. Excellent start to the new year.

13. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Looking good Amigo.

14. Paul Turner

Well....just like that, a New Year's Discount out from Central Texas Soaps....25% off entire purchase. I was going to get a third soap later, but....maybe NOW(course I wasn't going to use the soap until springtime, but I'm sure I can take good care of it until then....Well, I have until the 4th to take the plunge.

Linuxguile, Terry, Drygulch and 11 others like this.
  15. Paul Turner

Better beware Joe.....someone might end their shave description to you by saying "Ya gettin' a kick out of it @Trigger? :)

16. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Thanks, Clint!

17. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    January Focus
    Well here's the January combination until the 30th or until it runs out.
    This may surprise you....
    IMG_3246.jpeg
    ...and the shave...

[​IMG]
    Myrsol Don Carlos 1972~~Simpson "The Hive"~~Dubl Duck Goldedge
    Why would Primo choose a product laden with granules:signs002:
    IMG_3247.jpeg
    Answer: Because I want it GONE!
    :signs011::signs011::signs011::signs011::signs011::signs011:
    Now, are my shaves suffering because of the granualization:signs002:
    :signs002::signs002::signs002::signs002::signs002:Is that a word:signs002::signs002::signs002::signs002::signs002:
    Answer: :rolleyes005:
    Are the granules annoying:signs002:
    Answer: Mos def©
    I have to say there are actually positives about this soap, and were it not for the granules,
    I would rate it
    above average in quality.
    The scent is outstanding. Myrsol knows how to create aftershaves and the Don Carlos 1972 is a winner.
    The aftershave is the reason I bought the soap.
    OK, now how to get rid of it:signs002:
    Answer: Daily usage.
    Using Clint's method of loading, I created a luscious, albeit grainy, lather with the Hive.
    Last shave was 12/25, so Primo had some serious stubble with which to contend.
    I gave the DD some significant stropping and three passes later,
    was rewarded with a wonderfully, smooth face.
    Eschewing the Thayer's I went for two healthy splashes of the Myrsol.
    Believe it or not, when I was finished loading, there was a large doughnut hole already at the bottom of the soap tub.
    :happy093::happy093::happy093::happy093::happy093::happy093::happy093::happy093:
    This won't take long.
    Before singing off, Primo wishes everyone on TSD a healthy and happy 2020!
    :bounce017::bounce017::bounce017::bounce017::bounce017::bounce017::bounce017::bounce017::bounce017::bounce017::bounce017::bounce017::bounce017::bounce017::bounce017::bounce017::bounce017:

18. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

DDA7DC35-F6E6-4528-9681-AF8961B4CB49.jpeg
    SOTD 01/01/2020

Well vintage shave a day is over, and with the new year, I’ll be focusing on some of my favorite razors. I’m kicking this month off with one of me apex shavers, the Seki AS-D2. Many have stated that this razor is too mild! In the spirit of ‘Technique Trumps Tools’, I would respectfully disagree. My first few shaves with the razor led me to the same conclusion! I have since learned that the razor has a somewhat narrow sweet spot, but when dialed in correctly with a Feather blade, there is no razor I own that shaves closer! Two passes over my well refrigerated face and dome - PAA Menthol Preshave Cube coupled with Chiseled Face Cryogen - resulted in a smooooth, bloodless, refreshingly coool shave to launch my new monthly focus! It will be a weekly razor focus this month with alternating software. Happy New Year to all!

RAZOR: Seki AS-D2
    BLADE: Feather
    PREP: Cold water rinse followed by PAA’s Charcoal-Menthol Preshave Cube
    BRUSH: Viking Silvertip Badger
    SOAP: Chiseled Face Cryogen
    POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with Glyce Glycerin soap followed by Thayers Lavender WH and finished with Chiseled Face Cryogen AS Splash

Linuxguile, Terry, Drygulch and 15 others like this.
  19. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Beautiful photo and setup, Jim! I agree with you that the PAA Cube is a much higher level of menthol than the Stirling pre-shave. I've been using the Cube for a couple of months and quite enjoy it.

Linuxguile, Drygulch, brit and 6 others like this.
  20. Trigger

Lol! I was shocked that you used that soap! Great shave to start the new year, Joseph!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.