January 2021 30 Day Rule/30 Day Focus Pic and Discussion Thread- All are Welcome

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by Primotenore, Dec 31, 2020.

?

What's your 2021 Shaving Resolution?

1. I am going to finally finish up some shave gear.

17 vote(s)
    56.7%
  2. I am undertaking a No-Buy 2021.

10 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. I am going to finally complete a 30 DAY RULE.

1 vote(s)
    3.3%
  4. I am going to complete a 30 DAY FOCUS.

2 vote(s)
    6.7%
  5. You all can do what you want, I am going to focus on cookies.

10 vote(s)
    33.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

OK, tomorrow will start with the Fatboy, since @Frank Shaves encouraged it. I am debating between the citrus spice and Tobac, but leaning towards citrus spice. I never seem to make a dent in Tobac, no matter how often I use it. The brush will be a custom badger, also a gift made by the same person who made the boat brush, known as Graydog on another forum. I don't use the badger as much as I should, but with Captain's Choice lather bowl, I think it will be enjoyable to use.
    [​IMG]

Chris - enjoying learning, whatever the subject

Last edited: Dec 31, 2020
    Keithmax, Hembree, jtspartan and 14 others like this.
  2. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

Sounds like a good plan, Blair! Fortunately, I will not be on the NB21 team. I see a new straight razor in my future. Lol!

Hembree, 9nein9, clint64 and 5 others like this.
  3. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

Wonderful shave set up. The flare tip is a very nice razor. I hav a birth year E1. Welcome to one hell of a knowledgeable and fun group.

Hembree, clint64, brit and 4 others like this.
  4. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

Happy New Year Jeff. Oh SWMBO is going to be shaking her head for sure with this goal. :happy097:

Hembree, 9nein9, clint64 and 4 others like this.
  5. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

I like this plan Andrew. I have not decided a shave hardware focus but my goal is to reduce the soap collection in the den. I hope to Bon five soap containers for the year. 2020 I managed only two.

Hembree, clint64, brit and 6 others like this.
  6. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

I have managed a no buy rule on soaps since this past June on soaps only. I can attest that I have been tempted by some of the stuff “Youse Guys” have been posting.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2021
    Hembree, 9nein9, clint64 and 6 others like this.
  7. Dave in KY

Dave in KY On second thought, Buttercup

Friday January 1,2021
    Razor: Hand Polished Yates Precision H Plate
    Blade: Wizamet (2)
    Brush: SV 2.0 Bamboo
    Soap: PannaCrema Nuàvia Verde
    AS 1: Humphrey's Alcoholado Maravilla 70
    AS 2: Ethos Fresh Lime
    Fragrance: Guerlain Vetiver

So today I got to use my long awaited Yates Precision Razor that went off for a spa treatment with Alan who hand polished it to a mirror finish. The razor looks amazing. "Buzz Kill Brit" Gary pointed out in my pic of the Polished plate and my Backup stonewashed pate the difference in the scallops and said he wondered if it would shave differently. A twitch in my eye started at this point similar to Scrat in Ice Age. knew I still got a very similar shave on the 6s that Alan Polished. Then the practical me admitted that you can't polish it without some material removed. The shave today would tell me but it had been about a month since I had been able to shave with it and I had slept a few times since then. The shave today I will tell you was I think some different but how much was in my head and how much was actual I will need to acertain by a comparison when the extra top cap I got from Shavemd Mark is done languishing in Columbus, OH. I will say that I did get more blade feel than I remember but still got a drama free shave that is extremely close the way I like. It might.............................may have...............I'm not sure but could have lost the carefree, don't need to pay attention factor for me. A comparison of the 2 will tell me. Am I happy I got it polished ? YES ! Am I glad I got a backup H Base plate and Top cap ? Yes. Now I have the best of both worlds. If they are different it is a small amount. Maybe I have the EH plate effect in this Polished razor !!
    IMG_20201231_211503252_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20201231_211406550_HDR.jpg
    Here i where after the shave I decided to compare the plates. There's a noticeable difference in the profile shape of the straight bar (guard) of the base plate. But when weighed they still weigh the same. Hmmmm, that's interesting. This is not posted to complain about the polish job by Alan. I'm VERY happy with it and he did exactly what was asked. It's posted just for information purposes for those wanting to get their razor done. SOME material IS removed and it MAY effect the shave. Maybe for the good or maybe not...............Again, I'm happy with mine and will do further reviewing with it when I have the other to compare with it. Have a great day guys !! Well, everyone except @brit Gary :happy102:
    IMG_20210101_070627728.jpg
    IMG_20210101_070538305_HDR.jpg
    Stonewashed Pic 1st and then Polished
    IMG_20210101_070326682.jpg
    IMG_20210101_070413001.jpg

Last edited: Jan 1, 2021
    Keithmax, Hembree, jtspartan and 12 others like this.
  8. Frank Shaves

Frank Shaves Well-Known Member

Excellent report! Nice pics! Love that bowl and that razor is a beauty! :happy088:

9. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

9826E97D-2703-4DCD-B408-F7ED2EC502CE.jpeg

Shavette Shave # 115

Rating: 5 / 5

Razor: RenRen Shavette
    Blade: Perma-Sharp
    Brush: Ever Ready 200T
    Lather: Cella Crema da Barba
    Aftershave: PAA Chella Cool
    Additional Care:
    Barbero Alum Block
    Thayer's Witch Hazel - Aloe Vera

Happy New Year shave. First and foremost I would like to extend my wishes for you and your family to have a happy and healthy New Year.
    For the first day of the year, my family will be spending time with my father at my wife’s happy place, the Magic Kingdom.

This morning’s shave was a repeat of yesterday’s Cella extravaganza. Superb and amazingly close with no hiccups along the way.

Enjoy your day and start to the New Year. Hopefully as we progress the remnants of the 2020 dumpster fire will recede rapidly.

Keithmax, Hembree, jtspartan and 15 others like this.
  10. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

The razor is beautiful, Dave!
    I really wasn't trying to be a buzzkill. I'm thinking about doing the same with mine and wanted to hear your thoughts on any changes, if any.
    Happy New Year!

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

Hembree, jtspartan, clint64 and 5 others like this.
  11. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Sounds like a great day ahead, Joe!
    Happy New Year!

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

Hembree, clint64, brit and 3 others like this.
  12. Dave in KY

Thanks Frank
    Thanks Jim ! I didn't really take it as a buzz kill. Just joking around with Gary. Facts are facts and information helps us make informed decisions. Have a great day Jim !

13. Dave in KY

Great shave Joe, enjoy the family time !
    Screen-Shot-2020-02-17-at-12.40.33-PM.png

Hembree, 9nein9, Droo78 and 6 others like this.
  14. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Well, I can't very well ask TSD members to attempt a 30Day rule, without participating myself. So...here's the line up for January.
    Only exception will be if I ever
    receive my Simpson 57 and my bottle of Terre d'Hermès, I will use each of them once.
    Otherwise:
    Razor: 2011 Mühle R41
    Blade: Gillette Platinum
    Brush: dubl duck #4
    Soap: 3P Almond Shaving Soap
    Being a newly-christened "Fraghead", I reserve the right to choose my post-shave fragrance as I see fit. ;)

IMG_6999.jpeg

Keithmax, Hembree, jtspartan and 15 others like this.
  15. b1hart

b1hart Speed Racer

Excellent everything Dave! Great details. Love the polishing work.

Great looking setup again with the Cella. Have a nice visit with the family Joe!

Hembree, brit, clint64 and 6 others like this.
  16. Dave in KY

Nice Joseph and now I feel quilty but I was only a month into this and had new things coming. Maybe in Feb I'll do a 30 day thingy.............
    Thanks Blair !!

Hembree, brit, clint64 and 5 others like this.
  17. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

Excellent shave and report on the Yates Dave. Happy New Year.

18. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

Thank you Jim. Happy New Year

Hembree, brit, clint64 and 4 others like this.
  19. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

Thank you Blair. Happy Nee Year.

20. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.