January 2022 30 Day Rule/Focus and Discussion. All Are Welcome!

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by Trigger, Dec 31, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Front 9 of a Sophisticated Canned Gel shave(Edge)followed by Guerlain Vetiver. Thoughts of singer Rod Stewart engulfed the small bathroom, as my first cut was the deepest...right off, a speedbump got me. Not too scary, though. Good overall face&neck coverage with the Gel. One pass. A little bit left at the jawline, and at the right sideburn area. I must not have put enough edge in those places. Good work down at Cactus Nation(neck). I forgot that the Vetiver aftershave by Guerlain jets out like Niagra Falls if you aren't careful. I wasn't careful. It has a cool feel when administered. Maybe I should put it aside for spring&fall. Not summer, as it isn't Glacial cool. Smells nice, though. Very Excellent.

2. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I try to sweep away soap/gel from the lips.

3. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

Look how much money you will save by not replenishing your aftershaves and colognes.

JACarbone, jgreenepa and brit like this.
  4. Trigger

Terrific shave Paul!

5. palmolive fox

palmolive fox The British Birdman

:signs001: Joe.:cool:

6. palmolive fox

:signs001: Gary.:cool:

7. palmolive fox

:thanks:Joe.:cool:

8. brit

brit in a box

well..i just got some unscented products ordered..:p..so..:happy102:some things won't change..:eatdrink047:but..i will pass a bunch of stuff along to my buddy in the near future.:)

wristwatchb, jgreenepa and Trigger like this.
  9. brit

brit in a box

have you tried applying the gel with a brush.?:).works well..lathers up nicely.

JACarbone, jgreenepa and Trigger like this.
  10. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

F5E25F02-DF81-49B8-8EB1-CCF3B06F40E6.jpeg
    SOTD TUESDAY MORNING, JANUARY 18, 2022

I’ve become a real fan of the newer synthetic knots, and as a result have been ignoring my naturals. The brush I used today is one of only two my son, Ben has made using a blue resin. Being an engineer, he built a treadle powered lathe using an old singer sewing machine, but ran into so many issues that he junked it, but did turn these two handles along with a stair railing project. He bored out 22mm knot bases, and I obtained the two band Badger knots from the Golden Nib. The brush has decent backbone which is needed for MWF, and easily generated the two types of lather I like for my shave - thin and slick for the mug and thick and yogurty for the noggin.

I’ve decided on a Japanese straight razor mug shave focus this week. The Hoshi Tombo 8000 is western style Kamisori straight razor that has a wonderful edge and just feels great in hand. The grind is symmetrical which makes for a comfortable two handed mug shave. Traditional asymmetrically ground Kamisori are still a struggle for me since I shave them stamp side out one-handed. This particular razor is a delight to shave with. Two and a half passes left my face smooth clean and velveteen.

After yesterday’s superlative noggin shave with my Bakelite handled Mk1 Shake Sharp, it was time to pull out the nickel plated Mk2 model. The Mk1 model dates to the late 40’s, but today’s shaver is a mid 50’s baby like my child bride. One thing is for sure, the designer of this remarkable little SE razor knew his business. This is the only vintage SE razor I’m aware of that was actually designed to use DE blades. And with two stacked DE blades one atop the other, this nickel-plated GE Jones Shake Sharp Mk2 has no safety razor peer in my noggin shaves. It’s simply the best, and left me glassine smooth from neck to noggin after two ATG passes.

RAZOR: Hoshi Tombo 8000 (Mug), GE Jones Shake Sharp Mk2 (Dome)
    BLADE: Two Stacked Feather DE (Dome)
    PREP: Cold water rinse followed by a heavy scrub with Argan Oil
    BRUSH: Blue Resin Handled 22mm Two Band Badger made by my son
    SOAP: Mitchell’s Wool Fat
    POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by a rinse with Humphreys WH. Finished with Old Spice Fresh Lime.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2022
  11. brit

brit in a box

fabulous shave and pic Jeff cool brush..:cool:

12. Trigger

Terrific shaves Jeff! Long live the G.E Jones ShakeSharp! Take care.

13. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

New RFB/Kai , finish with Shake Sharp Kai².[​IMG]

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk

SRQShaver, JACarbone, Trigger and 2 others like this.
  14. brit

brit in a box

cool 2 piece rfb..:cool:

15. jgreenepa

Can’t beat a Merkur shave! Great commentary and photography as usual, Barry! Hope your day goes well!

16. jgreenepa

Thanks, Gary!

JACarbone, Trigger and brit like this.
  17. jgreenepa

Great shave, Joe, despite the oops! We all experience them in this great hobby of ours.

18. jgreenepa

Great Tech shave as always, Gary! Congratulations on the ne position! I hope the career change and new job goes well. Hey we all go through it. I started my career as a college professor who was later enticed into a fulfilling and fun business career. When I retired I returned to teaching without the publish or perish nonsense.

19. jgreenepa

Super shave, Paul!

20. jgreenepa

Lots of great Unscented products out there! I’ve been using them ever since hooking up with the child bride. MWF, BAUME.BE and Cremo Cooling Post Shave Balm are all great Unscented products.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.