January 2022 30 Day Rule/Focus and Discussion. All Are Welcome!

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by Trigger, Dec 31, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

Nice shave, pic and setup Danny. Have a great day!

2. Trigger

If I remember, then I think that was in June.

JACarbone and jgreenepa like this.
  3. brit

brit in a box

TSD anniversary shave
    brit new tech hybrid
    gsb
    Mr.EE omega 10098
    zingari man the navigator
    nautica voyage

20220103_104949_edited.jpg

good day gents..
    today warranted a fabulous shave,as i joined the TSD on Jan.02 2017.
    5 years in and today starts the 6th.;)
    it's been a blast-met some cool folks,spent a little $$,but most importantly..
    learned to shave properly.:D
    one day at a time.

2022-01-03 10.53.22.png

and so it goes.
    a true favorite set up,reliably smooth and functional
    fine navigator lather built with my favorite boar knot,
    housed in Evan's hand made handle.
    smooth 2 passer in the usual manner,
    twisted thayers lemon and voyage edt to cap it off.
    a fabulous voyage indeed.
    awesome..

20220103_104949_edited1.jpg

i want to thank everyone involved,
    friends,peers,enablers;)
    :eatdrink047:

4. Trigger

Excellent 5th TSD Anniversary Shave Gary! I have appreciated your post and fellowship the 3 yrs I have been here. Have a super day my friend!

jgreenepa, JACarbone and brit like this.
  5. brit

brit in a box

thank you so much Joe..many more to come..;).:eatdrink047:

jgreenepa, JACarbone and Trigger like this.
  6. SRQShaver

SRQShaver Well-Known Member

Alright! It's finally January 2022 which means injector focus month. I've gathered my gear in preparation for a month of stupendous single edge shaves.

Injectors_2022-01-01.jpg

For focus shave number one, I am choosing a beautiful, near-perfect PAL Injecto-Matic that I've only used once before.

SOTD January 2, 2022
    Pre-shave: Warm water
    Lather: Stirling Baker Street
    Brush: Jayaruh #347
    Razor: PAL Injecto-Matic
    Blade: Yellow Pack Schick (2)
    Post-shave: Nivea Sensitive balm

2022-01-02.jpg

Another area of focus this month is my new boar brush, the Jayaruh 347. It's my first natural hair brush so I've had to adjust to loading the brush much more than I normally would with one of my synthetic brushes. I loaded the damp brush for a good minute and then face lathered. I got an excellent lather after a few minutes of splaying, lathering, and slowly adding water. I really like the length of the knot. The bristles are thick and stiff enough to splay but also long enough to have a bit of flop as well. I'm able to really work the soap in a way I can't with my synthetics.

I had an excellent overall shave that was a BBS result however I was heavy-handed and used way too much pressure on under the jawline which led to some short lived but fairly strong irritation. The Nivea balm helped a lot and within half an hour it went away.

I'm glad I'm taking the opportunity to use these razors. I'd like to use each razor at least twice this month and also test out the Supply Black Label as well as Schick twin blades. I'm also hoping that the brush will be well broken in at the end of the month. I can see picking up a few more boar brushes specifically if this goes the way I hope it does.

Have a great day everyone!

7. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

Thanks Joe and you as well!

8. brit

brit in a box

cool focus..i have a canadian e-2 and a 66 i like to use from time to time..:cool:.great shavers.

9. Trigger

Jan 3 SOTD

Good afternoon!

20220102_212436.jpg
    Straight Shave #325
    13/8 ArtRazor 1000 (14)
    Catie's Bubbles Tuxedo
    Arko SS
    Stirling Bay Rum AS
    Maggard's Alum Block
    Dickinson's Witch Hazel
    Beard Growth: 31 hrs

I am continuing to shave with Artie this week. The shave went well with 2.5 passes. Near BBS was the order of the day. However, the first pass gave me a weep.tbat I thought was a cut because I caught myself with the the point. Luckily, my light touch saved the day and it immediately was gone with the alum. It is important to maintain a light touch so that you minimize any errors. Cuts generally take longer to stop with alum and that's why I usually apply a styptic for cuts because it is more concentrated. Fortunately, the styptic pen was not needed.
    Anyway, did my usual post shave routine ending with the Bay Rum aftershave Take care guys.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2022
    JACarbone, brit, jgreenepa and 3 others like this.
  10. ewk

ewk Well-Known Member

That is quite an impressive injector collection! Very cool. I have been very surprised by how efficient my two shaves with the G have been so far. Last I tried it on the dome I was very dissatisfied with the efficiency. The past two shaves have been great, head and face. I suppose the Personna blade might be what is giving it such better performance. As they are legendary for their longevity, it might be a while before I will replace the blade. I have three others I want to get to this month too. Do you have a favorite among those in your collection?

I am also happy for you that you are enjoying the boar brush. My first brushes were an Omega 49 and a synthetic Yaqi, so I could have a little variety. The boar was in regular use through the year. I had not used it for a few months until the December focus as I was desperately trying to break in two more inexpensive Omegas. When I came back to the first Omega, it realized it had broken in beautifully. It is so soft and comfortable. Just make sure to soak it for 5-10 minutes before use. (another reason I liked having a synthetic on hand; I often forgot to soak). Those stiffer bristles really do make a lather like no other.

brit, jgreenepa, SRQShaver and 2 others like this.
  11. Trigger

Awesome shave Eric! Moreover, nice injector collection!

Last edited: Jan 3, 2022
  12. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

:eatdrink013:

brit, jgreenepa and Trigger like this.
  13. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

Fabulous shave Jeff

brit, Trigger and jgreenepa like this.
  14. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

Thank you Gary

15. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

Thanks, Joe!

JACarbone, brit and Trigger like this.
  16. ewk

ewk Well-Known Member

January Focus Injector Shave #3

Razor: Schick J
    Blade: sChick
    Brush: Yaqi 24 mm badger
    Soap: Saponifico Varesino 70th Ann.
    A/S: Proraso magical green goodness

IMG_20220103_201821521.jpg

First use of brush and soap from 2021 holiday sales. Also very first use of the Schick J. I decided to use a familiar blade, the modern sChick. I have a preference for short handles, but I appreciate when longer handles are well designed. This one is balanced perfectly, the ribbed handle feels secure, and guided me to a nice shave. I appreciate the 1950s aura that this style razor exudes, from the shiny head with crown emblem to the cream colored perfectly shaped handle. I achieved a shade below BBS shave, but required 3 passes plus touch ups to get there. No weepers or irritation. An excellent shave tonight.

brit, jgreenepa, wristwatchb and 3 others like this.
  17. Trigger

Superb shave with quality gear Eric.

brit, jgreenepa, JACarbone and 2 others like this.
  18. SRQShaver

SRQShaver Well-Known Member

Absolutely. I was immediately taken with the Schick G "66" with the silver textured head and blue handle. It's the only one they ever made like it and I still think it's a beautiful razor. It shaves very well, good bite but still smooth. It's very small in my hand but is still comfortable to use. Following that, I'd go with the Schick M adjustable. I've only ever had excellent shaves with it.

I'm only three shaves in with this brush and it's already softening up. I can see how people go through so much soap now. I can load any of my synthetic brushes for 30 seconds or less and never run out of lather. I feel like I need to load this one a ton in comparison.

brit, jgreenepa, JACarbone and 2 others like this.
  19. ewk

ewk Well-Known Member

The M is the one I am worried about. I used it twice with a Personna 74 blade, and my face was a red weeper field after both shaves.

brit, jgreenepa, SRQShaver and 2 others like this.
  20. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

Excellent shave Danny

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.