Japanese Straight Razor Thread

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Aug 20, 2016.

1. Suhrim21

Suhrim21 Well-Known Member

I get the same way but then I see the scales on the japanese blades and realize how good they are and the japanese blades win.

Karl G and jgreenepa like this.
  2. ischiapp

ischiapp New Product Bloodhound

In the past, I've experienced some of the well known japanese master work.
    Now I have just two razors ...

Tanifuji Fukutaro “Perfect Works - Club Razor 2000 For Barbers”
    Silver Steel, 20x70mm (-13/8”), Spine 6mm, 59g, Half Hollow, Cream scales with Butterscotch lines
    [​IMG]
    https://theshaveden.com/forums/thre...id-you-use-today.35281/page-1117#post-1829543

@Droo78
    Andrew, you'll love the sunset too ...
    [​IMG]

Tanifuji Fukutaro “Kintaka”
    Folding Kamisori, Carbon Japan Steel, 20x55mm (-13/16"), Spine 5mm, 50g
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 26, 2020
    Stefano73, Karl G, Pilotcld and 7 others like this.
  3. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

Just had my first shave with this NOS Nichiri Tokusen by Diamond Hayashi Co. Today! Lovely buttery smooth shave! I get why folks like these Silver Steel razors.
    B353F3ED-BBEB-4F9E-B58A-635ACB0D7436.jpeg

Stefano73, Karl G, Suhrim21 and 8 others like this.
  4. ischiapp

ischiapp New Product Bloodhound

5. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

New entries are needed. I've seen many new Japanese razors purchased, since the last post here.
    Gratuitous Pictures are always welcome.

6. Axeman556

Axeman556 Well-Known Member

Two of my Japanese acquisitions

Tokyo Riki Flash

Kenwa Compress_20230608_211134_4271.jpg

Stefano73, brit, TestDepth and 3 others like this.
  7. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

I’m looking Scott, Yahoo is bad about having one good razor that I want in a lot with 4 other junkers, and I don’t want to pay for the junk to get the one that I want. They’re bad about that, it’s how they get rid of the junk.

DaltonGang likes this.
  8. DaltonGang

One man's Junk, is another man's Treasure. My razors cannot even compare to yours. You have many many beauties.
    What I was referring to was already purchased blades. Not potential purchases.

9. DaltonGang

Suzumasa
    13/16th
    1/2 Hollow

No stampings on the blade, and Mother of Pearl acrylic scales. This was acquired from @lindyhopper66 . Much Thanks. It needs a little attention on the edge. Maybe a quick touchup on an Eschers might help it along. I've never heard of Suzumasa before. Any info on these razors and the maker would be appreciated.

P6090101.JPG

Stefano73, brit, Karl G and 3 others like this.
  10. Axeman556

Hikari 1000 Compress_20230616_181057_7968.jpg

Stefano73, brit, TestDepth and 3 others like this.
  11. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

OK, here’s a couple.The Kōza just arrived and I did a partial cleanup - no point in investing heavily until I see how good it is. I suspect very good, it’s stamped ‘YS “something”’ which means Yasuki steel, probably YSH2 which is Hitachi White Steel (shirogami) #2. Those razors are usually very good. This one has jimps top and bottom, which unusual for a Japanese razor, and almost no wear on the spine, though there is a stubborn patch on the face of rhe blade. It also has most of the original finish.

The second one I don’t know if I’ve posted before, it’s a Hisha-Kaku (rook-bishop from Japanese chess) western kamisori and I have a pair of the larger number 500 razors which are Yasuki steel.

IMG_8624.jpeg IMG_8623.jpeg

brit, TestDepth, mrchick and 4 others like this.
  12. DaltonGang

I need to go back and put some new edges on some of my Japanese razors, with some of the newer stones I have now. I have a feeling they will perform much better than before.

Karl G, Steve56 and Axeman556 like this.
  13. Axeman556

This lil fella came home today!
    The worked spine on this seems to be unique and not common to japanese razors , this is a Rocket no.38 Compress_20230620_193906_6131.jpg

Karl G, TestDepth and DaltonGang like this.
  14. DaltonGang

Many times owners of these razors did their own spine work, or had others do it for them. I rarely see Japanese Razor makers doing this.

Karl G and Axeman556 like this.
  15. Axeman556

That makes it even more interesting now!!! Thanks for enlightening me !!!

Karl G likes this.
  16. DaltonGang

:eatdrink047:

17. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Another possibility is that they used a German blank. They used a lot of German steel and were fond of Schoeller-Bleckman (Böhler) steel. I’d kind of lean towards this because the pattern is similar to European razors and such a ‘carving’ or guilloche is not tha Japanese ethos.

18. Axeman556

It does look German I'll give you that!

Karl G and Steve56 like this.
  19. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Won a couple of NOS this morning, a Rinnet Perfect Works and a Kikuokan tamehagane frameback with a broken scsle. Looking forward to seeing both.

IMG_4844.jpeg IMG_4843.jpeg IMG_4839.jpeg IMG_4842.jpeg

Stefano73, Karl G, brit and 3 others like this.
  20. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

I was also watching a NOS Tanifuji Cape Kennedy to see what it went for since I have one that I got years ago. $705!!! Ouch!

IMG_4846.jpeg