Japanese Straight Razor Thread

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Aug 20, 2016.

1. jason koonce

jason koonce Well-Known Member

I might have to do a grand pif

Spyder likes this.
  2. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Buy what you can. At least those in good shape. Almost all are made of excellent quality steel, and very well made. I would be like a kid in a candy store, in Japan. Please keep us informed.

3. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I have several Japanese western grind razors, all are excellent.

Billyfergie and Spyder like this.
  4. capsfanx

capsfanx Well-Known Member

So need you guys’ help..... What do you guys feel this Tanifuji is worth?

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keithmax, Billyfergie and Spyder like this.
  5. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

1. How much do ya want for it?
    2. How much are ya willing to pay for it?
    Your answer to 1 or 2 above will give you the answer you’re looking for.
    And no, I’m not being a smart Alec. There is no Kelly blue book for used razors. Japanese razors seem to have jumped exponentially this past year. What you paid $40 last year may bring you $150 this year. Who knows, they may drop next year.
    A couple years ago you could hardly touch a dubl duck for $200, now you can find a similar one for $75. So, I’ll follow along to see if anyone will toss you a real $$ amount.

Keithmax, DaltonGang and Billyfergie like this.
  6. capsfanx

Well....I have it.....thinking of possibly selling it though. I was curious where the market may be for something like this at the moment.

I want to grab a razor that is closer to the size of my Wade & Butcher is all.

Billyfergie likes this.
  7. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

The best advice anyone gave me when I asked the same question was to look at the completed section on eBay. If they've sold before you can see how much for, and whether they were of a similar quality to yours.

I can guarantee I'd like to buy that razor from you, but the price I'd like to pay probably isn't what you'd want for it, and maybe nowhere near what other people would pay for it. (Honestly I don't know what it's worth!! ;))

8. DaltonGang

Yep, research eBay.

Dansco and Billyfergie like this.
  9. capsfanx

Was mainly going to offer it up here. Don’t want to cheat my self or ask too much.

Spyder likes this.
  10. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

You don't have to put it on eBay. Just take a look to see what something like that usually sells for, then you've got your asking price :)

Billyfergie, capsfanx and Spyder like this.
  11. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Definitely offer it up here. No reason you should not recoup your investment.

Billyfergie and capsfanx like this.
  12. DaltonGang

You pulled all those photos off of eBay, sold section. So, I can only assume you paid the $215 for this razor. So, I don't get all the questions on the asking how much it's worth. You already know the answer.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Ta...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Billyfergie likes this.
  13. RyX

RyX DoH!

The question about the cost, value, or selling price is covered
    HERE.

TSD does allow, and has a place to buy, sell, or trade gear. There are Rules in place to keep our Wet Shaving discussion board from turning into a Flea Market.

mrchick and Billyfergie like this.
  14. capsfanx

@DaltonGang , was trying to gauge if I paid too much, just right or too little. I am new to all this, including EBay and got caught up in the auction.

@RyX. I wasn’t trying to sell it in this thread. Not sure I even want to sell it yet. Figured I would ask here to you guys who have way more experience with these than I do.

Sorry to have wasted everyone’s time.

RyX likes this.
  15. RyX

RyX DoH!

Not wasted time. There's stuff to be learned from other members, their gear, and the experiences they bring to TSD.
    Auction sites are fun to view and exciting to participate in, but I tend to avoid "shopping" them. Bargains happen when an item ends up in your basket for less than you expected. Sometimes the item draws a bidder to spend more than they expected. If you have hobby money to play with, or investment funds for speculative purchase knowing the "Value" helps keep score. This is were the uncertainty principle comes in. The value of the tool is in how well it takes an edge & shaves. How much it was bought or sold for depends on the desire of the people doing the transaction.

Keithmax, DaltonGang, Spyder and 2 others like this.
  16. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

First off, please don't get offended:) I know the vendor that you purchased this razor from. He puts an excellent edge on the razors that he sells and is honest in his descriptions. Many ebay sellers are quick to take advantage by selling "shave ready" razors that won't cut anything, and take crappy photos etc. Also it appears that you had plenty of competition bidding, so there were at least some others that were willing to pay near the selling price.
    There are also ebay buying tactics( that I'm not going into here) that may have won that razor for less $$, maybe not.
    You have a fine piece of hardware there and it should be an excellent shaver. I would suggest giving it a fair chance before trying to off load it. I have not purchased a Japanese straight for some time because of the high prices they command these days. Not saying that they're not worth it, but because I'm a tight wad Dutchman :D

Keithmax, mrchick, M14Shooter and 4 others like this.
  17. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

I’m going to spend this week getting more acquainted with some Japanese razors. I won’t include my chopped up Hisihosi from today :) but I did want to include the R Saito SK1.
    8D087014-1E10-465E-B48D-77EB7A4E5180.jpeg
    Show side of the tang has Kikuboshi 165 & SK1 on the tail. The reverse has the stamp for R Saito.
    8E1BC43D-9AEF-4E06-BC4A-013DFA7E2858.jpeg
    After drooling over pictures and videos, I still didn’t understand the size of the razor, so here it is on a template.
    2EE793D9-A0B3-4DDE-BC43-073ACA11E5A5.jpeg
    It’s about 13/16” but the curvature of the blade makes it feel very small on the face. Honing isn’t bad- just watch the water, and I like to strop it on my smaller 1 3/4” strops.

The blade feels rigid as the curve works with a really nice bellied hollow grind, hopefully captured here.
    6FF38046-59C7-419D-90F9-58A73ADD7AFF.jpeg
    The scales really mess up your line of sight when shaving your sideburns, but the south to north in the hollows of your neck is where this thing shines IMO.

Thanks for letting me ramble... just a unique razor that I didn’t know much about.
    Tom.

RyX, Keithmax, DaltonGang and 3 others like this.
  18. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I’ve been tempted on these but the overall shape is too dramatically different (or impractical) from what I’m accustomed to when it comes to honing, stropping and general shaving - particularly if one is doing tight trimming around facial hair.

Keithmax, Spyder and Billyfergie like this.
  19. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Whatever someone is willing to pay.
    I find Tanifujis to be exceptional razors...

20. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Agree, Tanifujis are great razors. Like with any used razor that’s commanding a good price, be sure to know if it’s been ‘restored’ or is in original condition. I’d also look for a return policy at least if it’s restored, finding that your razor has lost its temper and won’t hold an edge is not a good thing.

The Saito smiley came in different models, at least 3 I believe, from mild to wild, so if you just want a not-too-exaggerated smile, they made one.

Cheers, Steve

Spyder, Keithmax, capsfanx and 2 others like this.