July 2017 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Jun 30, 2017.

?

Which of the following will you use during July?

1. Traditional Straight Razor

13 vote(s)
    27.1%
  2. DE Safety razor

37 vote(s)
    77.1%
  3. SE razor

21 vote(s)
    43.8%
  4. Popsicle Stick Razor

9 vote(s)
    18.8%
  5. Sharpened Ax

1 vote(s)
    2.1%
  6. Katana sword

1 vote(s)
    2.1%
  7. Slightly sharpened butter knife

2 vote(s)
    4.2%
  8. Cookies. I'm here for the cookies. Why, oh why do you torment us this way?

10 vote(s)
    20.8%
  9. Pain Stick

6 vote(s)
    12.5%
  10. Shavette

7 vote(s)
    14.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

My girls are 11, 8 (going on 16), and 18 mo. They have a way a capturing my heart. My son (6) can charm his mother like you wouldn't believe.

2. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

:thanks: Jim.

3. Yossarian04

Yossarian04 Well-Known Member

I ordered some Proraso red soap. I like it. Yeah, I was planning to stick with the VDH. I really dig sandalwood scent.

sketch1501377259828.jpg

4. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

Well, for goodness sake if you figure it out let me know. We've always had the same problems.

5. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Sunday shave:

This is longest I have taken a razor with touching it up on a stone and it still has a wonderful edge, smooth and very sharp. Four passes no blood and just a tickle of alum short of an epic shave.

Irritation A Closeness A+ Smoothness A Sharpness A+

Razor: Takeyhana Feon 172
    Strop: Drygulch black latigo

Brush: Thäter 3 band
    Pre: Proraso
    Soap: DR Harris cream & AoS tallow
    AS: Alcolado Glacial
    Scent: Dior Eau Sauvage

ID - 1.jpg

Linuxguile, SharptoothC, Fup and 9 others like this.
  6. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

IMG_1845.JPG Just got a package of Stirling goodness in the mail yesterday. Lots of soap, new boar brush, etc. Rod @ezlovan, in lieu of a soap sample, included some stickers at my request. My shave cabinet cannot accommodate the big green tubs, and I have to transfer everything into slightly smaller tubs, so the stickers keep everything nice and orderly for me. Too early to make a call on the boar but I can tell you that early indications are it's a real winner. In my first lather it shed a lot, but it feels more broken in than I would expect, and it doesn't smell as funky as I would expect either. I anticipate that after a few uses I may be dropping a Semogue out of my collection.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
  7. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Will do

8. Yossarian04

Yossarian04 Well-Known Member

That looks amazing. I was browsing their aftershaves earlier. Sounds like good stuff.

9. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Time to straighten up!

July 29

Razor - Feather SS
    Blade - artist-club-pro-guard-bladessmall.jpg (1)
    Soap - Soap Commander Courage
    Brush - Jayaruh #46
    Post - Alum

Tonight's blade for the AC Trial - the Feather Pro Guard. You'll notice by the picture below that this blade does have good exposure, and, the guards are spaced further apart than the Kai Guarded blade. And, quite a bit farther apart than on the Soft Guard Feather blade. The expectation would be a safer shave than a regular Pro blade, but with the same sharpness involved as the Pro.

Two passes with this blade in the Feather SS and I can honestly say I can feel a difference between this blade and the Kai Guard. It also shows up in the alum. More burn out of this blade, though not overbearingly so. It's just obvious that it's a bit sharper....it's the Pro blade with a guard. It does provide enough protection from technique errors to make it a safer and less stressful shave than with a Pro or Super Pro, but you can still cut yourself. I did see blood in the lather on the razor at the end but never found where it came from. Clearly a minor nick that closed right up.

If I had to choose a guarded blade based on the trials this week I would have to say it's a bit of a toss up. First of all, ignore the Soft Guard unless you have very sensitive skin or just an overwhelming aversion to cutting yourself. And if the aversion is that overwhelming maybe the pain stick was a wrong choice to begin with. The Kai and Feather Guards are both very fine blades, both do an excellent job (DFS in two passes and touch up) and the Feather adds just a bit of irritation, but not enough to be a deal breaker. Would I choose to use a guarded blade as my primary blade in either razor? No. I still prefer the feel and finish of the bare blades. I suppose I prefer that extra feeling of risk they can bring too.

I realized today that I've skipped over one type of straight shaving this month, and with only two days to go I need to make amends. Tomorrow will be the Magic Shavette! Have a great Sunday!

July 29.jpg

Linuxguile, SharptoothC, Fup and 11 others like this.
  10. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

Saturday July 29

Rockwell 6s on plate #3 / Topaz Platinum ( 1 )
    30DC LE Maple Cashmere brush
    Kent / MWF in wooden tub
    Alum and PGS Black Willow toner

Back on focus for the end of the month - Mitchell's Wool Fat soap and the 30DC LE brush. No trouble lathering the soap. Enjoyed the handle design of the brush as usual. A good two pass shave yielding a smoothly shaven face. The PGS black willow toner is non-alcoholic but still astringent and leaves the face feeling clean, dry and slightly tight.

Hope everybody is having a good weekend.

SharptoothC, Fup, RyX and 9 others like this.
  11. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Congrats on quite a haul. :happy088:

12. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

13. PickledNorthern

14. PickledNorthern

Great looking bunch of kids, Doug. You are a lucky man.

15. PickledNorthern

I did the same thing to buy my Brian Brown. Some sorry dudes we are.

16. PickledNorthern

I love Nacets. Any blade that can cut an Alligator in half, deserves to shave my face.

17. PickledNorthern

18. PickledNorthern

The scent of the Red is pretty great.

19. LevelupShaves

LevelupShaves Well-Known Member

I think I'm going to jump back into a focus for August. I'm going to do a soap focus for August using only a couple of soaps to compare and contrast to find my personal favorites.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

20. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

With nice razors

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.