July 2017 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Jun 30, 2017.

?

Which of the following will you use during July?

1. Traditional Straight Razor

13 vote(s)
    27.1%
  2. DE Safety razor

37 vote(s)
    77.1%
  3. SE razor

21 vote(s)
    43.8%
  4. Popsicle Stick Razor

9 vote(s)
    18.8%
  5. Sharpened Ax

1 vote(s)
    2.1%
  6. Katana sword

1 vote(s)
    2.1%
  7. Slightly sharpened butter knife

2 vote(s)
    4.2%
  8. Cookies. I'm here for the cookies. Why, oh why do you torment us this way?

10 vote(s)
    20.8%
  9. Pain Stick

6 vote(s)
    12.5%
  10. Shavette

7 vote(s)
    14.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Less is more! I shower first, dry off, get the soap loaded up on the brush, wet my face again with cold water, face lather, and then shave. I've never tried pre-shave oil or anything along those lines.

2. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

+1 although I did include PSO in my early days.

3. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thank you Jim. We had a pretty good ride through the N Ga mountains.

[​IMG]

Made it back for tacos and beers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

Through the mountains, a moving average of 49 mph, and a max of 82? Lead foot. :p

I don't think I've ever come close to that in all of the cross country drives I've made. (My mountain driving has all been 'old' mountains. Texas Hill Country, Smokies, Blue Ridge, Adirondacks, and so forth. Everything between Texas and Canada, roughly, both coastal and straight across)

I didn't shave last night to give my face some more time from the HongLong incident - the next days shave was okay, but the face wasn't 100%. Unfortunately, two customer phone calls so far, and I'm sitting at a site getting servers back online.

(edit, I lied. Three calls)

5. RyX

RyX DoH!

Following the rituals described by others, I did hot towels & preshave oil. Not a fan of Bay Rum scent I stopped using Shave Secret and noticed no difference. Might still go back to a hot wet towel when the outside temps ease off. During the other 11-1/2 months of the year it's cool tap water splash prior to room temp lather application.

(Cross thread but relevant) With high humidity near or south of I-10 anything left uncovered will attract some kind of insect. I keep all my soaps covered. Not like they will dry out, but I prefer less bugs nesting in my soap tubs. The need to hydrate soaps or beard seems less when the average humidity level is between muggy and miserable. humidity 70601.gif

6. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

My prep has long been just a hot shower and then straight to face lather. I tried preshave oils a few times, but any difference was miniscule if anything and not worth the extra step to me. If it works for you and you enjoy it, by all means do it.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

7. SharptoothC

I use hot water for my shower but I have started using cold water for my shave as well (I don't shave in the shower), and find that I prefer it. Like you said, it's refreshing.

8. SharptoothC

That smirk though! Awesome.

Drygulch, Norcalnewb, mrchick and 2 others like this.
  9. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Great photos Jim. :happy088:

Drygulch, Norcalnewb and SharptoothC like this.
  10. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

He's a cutie.

11. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

I think the last time I saw humidity below 30% in Houston was the last time it went down to freezing. Outside, that is. I believe we're still the most air conditioned city in the world.

12. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

I have slowed down a lot over the years. Even more so on long trips. In the round trip today, I had about 35 miles of the Atlanta Audubon aka Hwy 400 so that brings the avg up some and in today's case probably the high speed. Most of the mountain roads are posted at 35 mph. Funny I remember years ago they were at 45-50 mph. During the summer I try to avoid all the roads listed in the motorcycle magazines since they are heavily patrolled and stick to the roads that locals know about. Wade and I were lucky and had no slow traffic holding us up until the last 30 minutes or so.

13. RyX

RyX DoH!

Happily UnFocused

Truefitt & Hill Sandalwood
    B-400 Tuxedo, Suribachi
    The Bunny V3.1, Chick blade
    Alum, Proraso Refresh Lotion

SOTD 07092017.gif
    I chose the T&H for the SS container photo op, but the soap is a winner too. Lather in no time using a Tux knot and a textured bowl. Need to feed The Bunny another blade since it's been a while since I had it out of the box. Didn't stop me from getting a NOTSO comb close shave. Alum sang a bit for the lack of current use/technique and a blade of unknown uses. The green eucalyptus AS calmed it down in short fashion. Definitely changing blade before the next shave with this prototype beast. A very close DFS that last for 36+ hours.
    Good Shaves Y'all!

Drygulch, MR41, Linuxguile and 12 others like this.
  14. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Thanks. He's just like his grandpa

Drygulch, Bama Samurai, RyX and 3 others like this.
  15. Norcalnewb

Thank you, Clint!

16. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Razor: Mongoose B2 w/Timeless Dimpled Handle
    Blade: Feather (1)
    Brush: El Druida Red Heart Chakte Kok/African Blackwood 2 Band Badger
    Soap: Timeless Signature Bay Rum
    A/S: Fine Platinum
    Bowl: Symmetrical Pottery Blue & Lt. Purple Bowl

A 3 pass BBS shave this evening. An outstanding shave.
    Timeless Razor Signature Shaving Soap by Oleo Soapworks. This exclusive, premium quality soap whips up into an excellent, luxurious lather which helps provide a fantastic shaving experience. The fragrance is a warm masculine scent with bay rum, musk, amber, and a hint of spice.
    9 07 17a.jpg

17. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Love the brush. The soap sounds very nice as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

Sunday July 9 - early evening shave

Rockwell 6s on plate #3 / Topaz Platinum ( 1 )
    Jason's non - 30DC LE Cypress Badger brush
    Dirty Deeds Arroyo Cactus soap
    Alum and TSD Aftershave Milk - Lavender

I am going out to dinner as soon as my weekend 1700 Friday to 1700 Sunday shift is over, so I worked in a quick shower and shave now.

Prep was a hot shower followed by a cold water washcloth facial rinse. Followed by a cool water lather.

I like the Dirty Deeds Arroyo Cactus soap. It has a pleasant sharp floral scent and it is a good soap. However, there is no denying that when it comes to slickness and the other performance attributes, it is not The Fat. Or my Italian frankensoap for that matter. It's good and it works but it's definitely not in their league.

Two passes brought me a decent close shave without irritation. The TSD Aftershave Milk added some excellent postshave skin feel and a light, calming lavender aroma.

I'm refreshed and ready to go.

Drygulch, MR41, Linuxguile and 11 others like this.
  19. Norcalnewb

Fantastic picture, Doug! The bowl is just beautiful!

20. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Nice pic grandpa

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.