July 2017 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Jun 30, 2017.

?

Which of the following will you use during July?

1. Traditional Straight Razor

13 vote(s)
    27.1%
  2. DE Safety razor

37 vote(s)
    77.1%
  3. SE razor

21 vote(s)
    43.8%
  4. Popsicle Stick Razor

9 vote(s)
    18.8%
  5. Sharpened Ax

1 vote(s)
    2.1%
  6. Katana sword

1 vote(s)
    2.1%
  7. Slightly sharpened butter knife

2 vote(s)
    4.2%
  8. Cookies. I'm here for the cookies. Why, oh why do you torment us this way?

10 vote(s)
    20.8%
  9. Pain Stick

6 vote(s)
    12.5%
  10. Shavette

7 vote(s)
    14.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

No two.

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

2. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Great picture, Clint!

3. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thank you Jim .

4. Norcalnewb

Wonderful picture, Mark!

5. Norcalnewb

Excellent set up, Doug! I have some Old Spice Fresh, and I think I will break that out tomorrow!

6. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Before announcing July's intent:

1) I can't figure out what the background is made from.
    2) Cinco!

7. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Would you agree it's great stuff?

8. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Rimshot!!

Drygulch, mrchick, clint64 and 2 others like this.
  9. Bama Samurai

Drygulch, RyX, Keithmax and 5 others like this.
  10. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Good one!

11. Norcalnewb

IMG_0364.JPG

Jul 1 SOTD:

Stirling Synthetic Brush
    Stirling Glastonbury
    Phoenix Dbl OC
    Rapira PL (6)
    Stirling Glacial Unscented PSB
    Stirling Glastonbury AS

I ordered some bath soaps from Stirling and the box came in yesterday. After a morning digging up sod from one part of my yard and moving it to another, the Stirling Margaritas in the Artic bath soap felt very refreshing. I followed this with my first use of Glastonbury. A shower and shave almost never feels as good as it does right after some yard work.

The Glastonbury has a very earthy scent. The patchouli is strong, but there is a lot of earthiness and some grassiness as well. Really a nice scent, one I woukd rate as among the more complex Stirling scents. Being a DFS mutton tallow base, the performance is top notch. This set up a two pass DFS, so in other words a great shave.

My daughter gets back from pre-teen camp today, and we are excited to see her again. I hope everyone has a great Saturday!

12. Norcalnewb

It is definitely great. I don't know why I don't use it more often (probably because I have too many after shaves).

13. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Beautiful picture Jim. I hope your daughter had a great time.
    Great looking razor.

14. Fup

Fup Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Went with the Astra SP in the Fatip Piccolo this week. My face definitely looks less chewed up and doesn't feel as tender this time but the alum is still telling me GAAAAAAH! So whether the slight improvement is from the blade switch from a Derby(which was my hope going into the shave) or experience with the razor is hard to tell.

I'm having trouble enjoying the Fatip. Maybe if I did a focus on it instead of just once a week I would get better with it but I feel I don't have the time in the mornings to go as slow as I feel comfortable with it. I did the same 3 pass shave as yesterday with the Gillette and Feather, north to south, nose to ear, ear to nose and took more time as it's my day off. The shave was not as close and does not feel as good as it did yesterday.

Another first today, I tried the Veg(courtesy of @Bama Samurai of course :) ) and really like what it does for my skin. The smooth dryness feels really good. The scent might be a little too floral for my tastes though. I did not dislike the smell, mind you and will probably use it some more here and there.

Overall a decent shave and far better results than last week but I also brought the Gillette plus Feather out of the bullpen for my neck because the Fatip plus Derby mauled my neck last week.

Happy shaving everyone and happy weekend!

15. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

See!

16. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Between the Focus or Rule, I think I would go with the Rule for this situation. Something to consider anyway.

17. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

It sounds like the Veg may be choosing you, and that causes much rejoicing within the Cartel!! The Fatip is a challenge and, yes, a rule with it would be the best way to master it quickly. As in, within 30 days. It's unforgiving on angle and requires precision but once mastered it is one of the finest razors to shave with. I would rate it as my second most aggressive DE, behind only the 1918 Old Style which is a beast. If you are going to continue with it without a rule that will work, but it will take longer to hold the angle like you need to. Don't give up on it!

18. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

I could, but I keep a dopp bag stocked with a '51 Tech and 'accessories' in a travel case. Like that one, too!

19. Bama Samurai

also @Fup
    Good advice.

I agree. The Fatip was the razor that inspired ride the cap. Maybe r41 is more aggressive? It's pretty up there. The angle control is critical. Stay on the cap at all times!

20. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

Coming home from the beach I picked up my incoming packages at the office, and it was like Christmas morning!

First, thank you to @mrchick; the girls loved their packages of confetti and the notes you wrote to them. I appreciate the replacement comb and will have to find another horsehair brush to test it out on.

Second, thanks to @Screwtape for the Fatboy and injector. I tried out the Fatboy and confirmed that it is a much smoother shave than mine. Apparently adjustments of some sort are in order to mine. Wondering if sending it to Delta Echo will be sufficient. Any thoughts from the gallery?
    IMG_1765.JPG

Third, I received a brush handle from Israel made out of olive wood. Beautiful wood, but a bit cookie cutter pattern and finish for me. My dad has officially retired from handle making, as it hurts his fingers, however I may see if we can do a father-son project where I can work on the handle on his many layers under his supervision. I think it would be cool to craft this thing into something unique.
    IMG_1766.JPG

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.