July 2017 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Jun 30, 2017.

?

Which of the following will you use during July?

1. Traditional Straight Razor

13 vote(s)
    27.1%
  2. DE Safety razor

37 vote(s)
    77.1%
  3. SE razor

21 vote(s)
    43.8%
  4. Popsicle Stick Razor

9 vote(s)
    18.8%
  5. Sharpened Ax

1 vote(s)
    2.1%
  6. Katana sword

1 vote(s)
    2.1%
  7. Slightly sharpened butter knife

2 vote(s)
    4.2%
  8. Cookies. I'm here for the cookies. Why, oh why do you torment us this way?

10 vote(s)
    20.8%
  9. Pain Stick

6 vote(s)
    12.5%
  10. Shavette

7 vote(s)
    14.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Thank you, Clint!

2. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

FullSizeRender.jpg This morning's shave saw another razor change (to the New OC) and another soap from the pass around - Dapper Dragon Tiamat. I decided on the Whipped Dog high mountain knot in Dad's custom spalted maple handle. Every time I use this brush, I wonder why I don't use it everyday. The look of it is rustic, but the feel is absolutely luxurious! Anyway, the New did its job, as did the soap. I really liked the scent of this soap. Don't know how to describe it - vanilla, amber, not tobacco but almost that kind of feel. It is really incredible. The only issue I had was residual slickness was lacking between each pass, which would be a non starter for me. Future uses will determine if this makes the cut eventually. Overall, the soap pass around has produced a lot of "very good" soaps, but not many have taken the top spots held by Stirling, B&M and Catie's Bubbles in my Den.

3. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

4. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

July 12, 2017- sPIFfy birthday shave

Razor: G3 Aristocrat Adjustable (4)
    Blade: Gillette Rubie Platinum Plus (1)
    Brush: Razorock Plissoft 22
    Cream: Simpsons Luxury

On this date, 56 years ago, I was untimely ripped from my mother's womb. (Premature C-Section; the whole Shakespearean "man not born of woman" thing) Seriously, though, I'm probably lucky to be here as my mother had had sever miscarriages and I apparently owe my existence, in part, to DES. To mark this occasion, I have take a break from my focus for a shave with my BQ razor- a G3 Aristocrat Adjustable. Since I received that razor as a PIF, I have also included a couple of other PIFed items in today's shave.

The Aristocrat was a generous PIF from @Norcalnewb as part of the 2015 Birth Quarter Secret Santa arranged by @Rufus T. In some ways, it's faired better over the years than I have with only the loss of some gold from the doors and safety bars... just enough to show it has been well loved.

The Rubie blade is the last of several that I received from @Linuxguile after expressing interest in wanting to try them. It's an odd blade in that it is probably the only piece of Russian steel which is not universally liked by the members of the Cartel. Personally, I find I really like them and need to order some one of these days.

Lastly, the Simpsons cream was also a PIF, though I can't immediately recall who it was from. (Sorry) This is a really surprising cream in that the smallest amount will absorb tremendous amounts of water and produce ridiculous amounts of lather. My big problem with it has been overloading the brush and not being able to get it wet enough.

As for the shave... Barely touching the surface of the cream with a well-moistened brush, I managed to not overload the bush. In return, I was rewarded with plenty of very satisfying lather. The Rubie and the mild setting on the Slim make for a combo which is efficient but almost feels like there is not blade installed. Two passes to a BBS. The Shave Gods did step in, however, and give me a weeper at the corner of my mouth to keep me humble.

Thank your all for your best wishes for today and for your kindness to me since I joined back in 2015. Hard to believe it will be two years at the beginning of September.

MR41, wchnu, Norcalnewb and 10 others like this.
  5. Linuxguile

SOTD pics don't get much better then this, Gentlemen! :smiley respect:

6. Linuxguile

The Simpsons cream was from me as well. Glad you are enjoying it!

7. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

I do. Thank you again!

8. Linuxguile

SOTN July 11th
    [​IMG]

Gillette ABC Pocket Edition
    Gillette Wilkinson Sword
    Simpson's CH2 Synthetic
    La Toja (RIP :sick013:)

Last night I took The Soap Destroyer to the last remaining bit of my La Toja and it did its job! I also used this lovely Gillette Old Type ABC Pocket Edition that was so kindly sent to me from my good friend Alan @Morman Bridge . It was an absolutely fantastic shave, again another Old that I don't really find aggressive. It was very efficient though and the baby was waiting after my normal 3 passes. Have a great day my friends!

Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
    MR41, SharptoothC, wchnu and 14 others like this.
  9. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thank you Jim and Andrew.

10. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Simply an elegant lineup. :happy088:

11. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

IMG_0727.PNG
    12 July 2017 OLD Blade Focus Shave

Pre: Copious amounts of hot water, soap from the puck, hot towel
    Razor: Gillette 1911 OLD
    Blade: Gillette Silver Blue
    Brush: JR#161, NY Mets Special Edition
    Soap: The Cella, Crema Da Barba
    After Shave: Cella, Lozione Dopobarba

For today's OLD Blade Focus Shave, I went with another vintage product, Cella, ca 1899.
    After creating a fragrant, slick lather with JR#161, I turned the OLD/GSB duo loose on my weekday stubble. Four days in and the GSB shows no sign of dropping off. 2.5 passes with J hooking for my lower neck. Another BBS. I have noticed that both my NEW and this OLD deliver BBS shaves with regularity, something my other vintage razors do not do.
    In any case, I splashed on some Cella A/S and another day of work in the wonderful world of corporate security was underway.
    Have a great Wednesday.

12. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

[​IMG]

13. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Lisa's Natural Wet Shave Soap
    TSD 30DC LE Brush
    Henckels Friodur 72 1/2 Razor
    Lucky Tiger
    Pinaud Clubman After Shave
    Have fun![​IMG]

14. Linuxguile

Thank you, Clint!

15. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

California dreamin is becomin a real-ity(bedebebeep beep)

16. Linuxguile

Coolness, Brian!

17. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

July 12th
    Gillette NEW LC w Voskhod (3)
    WD HM badger/Cypress handle
    B&M Seville
    Thayers
    Stiriling Barbershop AS

Happy Birthday @Fup & @John Ruschmeyer !

image.jpg

Day 7 of the NEW LC focus, 3rd day with a Voskhod. Will switch in an Astra tomorrow for the sake of the focus. Got the usual nice lather from the Seville and am enjoying this 2 band in its new handle. 3 passes later to a DFS. Didn't really do any touch up this morning. Still working on skin stretching as a bit of a mini-focus. Splashed on some of the excellent Barbershop and am off to work.
    Have a great day all!

18. Linuxguile

Excellent setup, Jason!

19. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

Thanks, Andrew. The Barbershop is one of SWMBO's favourites.
    PS- What a beauty that ABC set of yours is!

20. RyX

RyX DoH!

I have one of those I use occasionally. It must be spoken as Sean Connery would say it. "Merkin...Kevlar Merkin."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.