July 2018 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Jun 30, 2018.

?

Any chance you're joining us for Cinco de Julio?

1. Of course. In fact, I save my popsicle sticks for just this occasion!

9 vote(s)
    40.9%
  2. Of course not. I'm sane.

7 vote(s)
    31.8%
  3. I'll think about it but I'm too busy eating cookies.

7 vote(s)
    31.8%
  4. I'll let you know when I get to St. Louis.

2 vote(s)
    9.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I saw that. ... wasting the vintage Williams like that...:prrr::prrr:

2. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I almost replied with a snarky response, but I thought better of it. I know you're just having fun. I can take it...bring it on my friend.

3. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

People ask me what I’m going to do when I retire. I tell them I’m going to find a job where I work forty hours a week, and relax.

God, I hope I can hold out til then.

4. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

July 18th
    Razor: Rex Ambassador (3)
    Blade: Sharp Star (3)
    Brush: Rick Montalvo mixed
    Pre shave: Stirling mentholated
    Soap: JoHS Blood on Steel
    Lucky Tiger face tonic
    AS: JoHS Blood on Steel

I couldn't wait. New soap and aftershave was too much of a temptation. Terrific scent! I'm not very good at describing scents but I know I like this one!

Have a good night!
    [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

5. FaceScraper

FaceScraper Well-Known Member

It looked promising for a lather or two, then back to its old tricks. The Damaskeene is what I used today...fantastic little razor. Bust yours out! :happy088:

6. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Excellent picture, Jim!

Drygulch, PLAla, clint64 and 3 others like this.
  7. FaceScraper

FaceScraper Well-Known Member

Holy crap. Whatta photo, Jim!!! :git:
    You rock.

Drygulch, PLAla, clint64 and 3 others like this.
  8. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Thanks guys!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Drygulch, PLAla, clint64 and 2 others like this.
  9. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

July 2018

July 18

Razor - 1962 (H1) Gillette Slim (9)
    Blade - [​IMG] (3)
    Soap - Stirling Bay Rum
    Brush - Jayaruh #46
    Post - Alum - luckily no styptic

Well there was a great shave nearly ruined by stupidity. Let's get the soap/brush out of the way. The Stirling Bay Rum, which is a traditional Bay Rum scent, was very nice and the Jayaruh #46 made it quick and easy to get the lather out of a nice brushload and face lather. I got a new toy in today as well, the Professional Shaving Mug from Marvy. Definitely a classic and unbreakable rubber - a bonus! The razor is the Slim and Ladas - nothing to worry about.

So - first pass was really nice. Great Bay Rum scent in the room, cushy and slick lather, excellent WTG pass. Second pass equally good. XTG, again the perfect lather and great scent. Near-BBS so let's touch up. How do we do that, you ask? Why with my usual "diagonal X" pattern on my neck of course. And, just because, how about a G-Slide finish? Sounds good right? Well it was. Until on the last G-Slide on my left side I decided to complete the slide while looking down. As in dropping my head and looking at the sink to start clean up even as the razor was still moving in my hand. Oh, and I turned my head a bit toward the razor too. Yeah, I felt what I thought might be a slice. The gap on a wide open Slim is enough to expose that blade nicely, especially when you turn your neck right into it.

At first I thought it was just a wild and scary sensation. Rinsed, toweled off, then saw the string of bloody spots across my Adam's apple, starting from about halfway up my left side on my neck and stretching past my Adam's apple. Cold water, heavy alum which, yes, did reinforce how stupid that was, and the blood didn't reappear. I think I got lucky. As I told my wife - I wouldn't want to try that "duck and look" maneuver with a pain stick on the downward run.

I'd call it a BBS finish but I think I have to give points back for that idiotic mistake. Still, a very nice shave.

July 18 2018.JPG

10. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Stunning picture with that shiny LC on the red brush. And icy cherry soap too! Ok, I hear what you're saying about an intervention. Let me see if I heard you right. You're acquired soaps, aftershaves and razors and have more of each on the way. Yet, no new brushes. Ahhhhhhh....I see the problem. BUY MORE BRUSHES!!!!! Sheesh. How hard was that? Have I helped yet? :signs046:

11. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Blood on steel? Why that's just normal around here. And on a soap puck and A/S now too!

12. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Since this weekend...

Magic
    Sharp Star (cartel direct)
    Barbasol Aloe
    Vintage Mennen Burnished Leather AS (@CarlfromMO like a champ)
    -or- Proraso Eucalyptus

The shaves have all been one precise pass and cleanup, shavette style.

Sorry I've been so quiet, but I am in KY with George and have elected to interact in the pre1995 way since I had but two full days here.

But for the crickets, all is quiet in Murray, Kentucky, USofA!

Have a fab Friday!
    :)

13. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

Can’t wait!
    That pic is simply amazing, Jim.
    G-slide touch ups and buffing? Neal is back...

Drygulch, FaceScraper, PLAla and 6 others like this.
  14. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I’m 26 pages behind, unless Korean Air installed WiFi since my last flight I will not be catching up. I will a regular again Sunday.

My going home shave. This trip I used the Kai Captain blades, they work but I prefer the Feather Pro.

B9691762-FCC6-49B4-BA6B-E03CDE95A3F2.jpeg

15. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Artist Club folding straights. Still on my wish list. I definitely have enough blades on hand now thanks to a certain generous American from South Korea. :thanks:

Drygulch, Keithmax, RyX and 8 others like this.
  16. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Thank you, Jason.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Drygulch, FaceScraper, PLAla and 2 others like this.
  17. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Sorry about your mishap, Neal. We all have stories! Bonus points and extra cookies for survival!

18. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

...minus the Adam's Apple.

19. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

I hear you. If I recall correctly, you’re a lot closer than I am.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Wow another stellar photo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk