July 2018 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Jun 30, 2018.

?

Any chance you're joining us for Cinco de Julio?

1. Of course. In fact, I save my popsicle sticks for just this occasion!

9 vote(s)
    40.9%
  2. Of course not. I'm sane.

7 vote(s)
    31.8%
  3. I'll think about it but I'm too busy eating cookies.

7 vote(s)
    31.8%
  4. I'll let you know when I get to St. Louis.

2 vote(s)
    9.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

I finally got home about 2:30am but got up early to see my wife off on four night trip. I couldn’t go back to sleep, so I decided on a leisurely shave with my new soap. This soap and after shave is a winner. The soap performs well and I really like the scent. I’ll have to wait until Tuesday to see if my wife likes it.
    Jeeves of Hudson Street Blood and Steel Soap
    Elk Antler Badger Brush
    Bismarck #2 Razor
    Jeeves of Hudson Street Blood and Steel After Shave
    Have fun![​IMG]

2. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

I know you are happy to be back home. Great shave and photo Brian.

3. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Charlie, thank you, I’m all caught up now. Landed a few minutes early at 4:15am local time, good news is there is little traffic and I’m on my way home.

4. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Everything went great except for the blood!
    Awesome photo, Clint! Getting ready to send that C&E cream on its way!
    Excellent shot Perry!
    I think you've gone into the realm of her ignoring it, Joseph. Excellent shave and report!
    Great photo, Jiim! I bet you and the kids will be glad to have your wife home!
    Awesome photo Brian!

5. Demidog

Demidog Well-Known Member

I've inadvertently done the 30 day focus for the past few months now. It just occurred to me. After finding the perfect hardware and software for my face, I haven't felt any incentive to change up my lather, razor, blade, or even my aftershave.

No pictures but my setup has been:
    -Slim (Fatboy needs a replating)
    -Kai blades
    -Proraso red pre-shave
    -Proraso blue cream
    -Whipped Dog synthetic
    -witch hazel
    -Proraso white balm

Shower, wash face, shave. I don't think that sticking to the same equipment has helped me to improve but it did allow me to see where my problems reside. The biggest factor for me seems to be blade longevity. I have thick, wiry facial hair and pushing my blades beyond 3 or even 2 shaves results in weepers from trying to mow down stubborn whiskers with a spent blade. Otherwise it's smooth sailing - almost no irritation, no nicks, no weepers, no cuts to be seen anywhere, and a smooth face.

6. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

I'm a few days behind on updates, but it has been an SE week, so far, for me.

Monday was a very nice first shave with the AutoStrop VC4 and what turned out to be the SS Feather blade.
    Tuesday was the same setup, but it got a bit uncomfortable part way through. Good results, however.
    Wednesday was the Schick J1 with a Japanese Twin. Excellent combo.
    Today, I went back to the VC4 and Feather. More comfortable than Tuesday with good results.

Soap was Der Vergolde Hand and the brush was the Semogue 620.

I'm undecided about tomorrow.

7. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

I'm glad you made it home safely, Keith. That's quite a trip! Again, it was great to finally meet you in person.

8. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Sounds like you are dialed in! Nice selection of products there. While I prefer my Fatboy to my Slim the difference is minimal so I use them interchangeably at times as well.

9. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Glad to know you made it home safe and sound! You're welcome to hang out in STL anytime you want!

10. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Thank you, Andrew!

11. wristwatchb

1.jpg

2.jpg

12. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Well, an update about our house hunt.

Short story is that the contract on our house fell through today. The inspection was done on Tuesday and the buyers asked for 17 areas to be fixed by us (including a new HVAC system for the second floor and a new deck....a deck that they wanted to have oversight on the design of) PLUS they lowered their offered price by $25,000. Didn't think you could do that.

We said no.

Then they came back and said they'd change the requests to six areas that we needed to fix and lowered their asking price by $15,000 instead of $25,000.

We said no, again. Really bad juju at this point.

The buyers seemed to be novices and their realtor didn't seem to be helping them navigate. We wonder if they just wanted out? Or was their agent clueless as well?

Regardless, we mutually agreed to part ways.

So we'll stay in our current house until sometime this Spring and try to sell again. We weren't in a bind and didn't HAVE to sell right now. We were looking for somewhere a little closer to my work and with some different features to help with having a toddler, but it didn't work out this time, so we turn the page.

Who knows? Might be a blessing in disguise. Things have a funny way of working out the way they're supposed to.

13. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Drygulch, Linuxguile, PLAla and 2 others like this.
  14. wristwatchb

Just kidding, Paul. I have a bottle of Clubman... :)

...and will probably never use it up. :rofl:

15. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

That's too bad Perry, but like you said, might be a blessing in disguise.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

16. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Oh,. you just got back from Pasteur's Pharmacy with 5 of each item Mr. Pasteur has, I bet. That'll keep you busy until 2040. :)

17. wristwatchb

July 19

G3 Gillette Fatboy
    Polsilver Super Iridium (3)
    30 Day Crew LE figured maple handle with 24 mm APShaveCo Tuxedo knot
    Le Père Lucien - unscented
    Thayers Lavender witch hazel, unrefined shea butter, and Trumper Coral Skin Food

SOTD_071918.jpg

I enjoyed a fantastic two-pass shave today with some of my top gear. I hope you all had a wonderful day!

18. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Yes, it feels good. Thank you Clint.

Norcalnewb, Drygulch, PLAla and 4 others like this.
  19. wristwatchb

1.jpg

20. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

Thanks, Charlie. Alas, while I wish I were getting good shaves from a one dollar razor, I believe you have me confused with someone else on here. :)