July 2018 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Jun 30, 2018.

?

Any chance you're joining us for Cinco de Julio?

1. Of course. In fact, I save my popsicle sticks for just this occasion!

9 vote(s)
    40.9%
  2. Of course not. I'm sane.

7 vote(s)
    31.8%
  3. I'll think about it but I'm too busy eating cookies.

7 vote(s)
    31.8%
  4. I'll let you know when I get to St. Louis.

2 vote(s)
    9.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Thanks Paul. I appreciate it. It actually looks to be some uptown soap. The (translated) website is interesting, and I found an interesting video showing how the soap is manufactured.

Drygulch, PLAla, FaceScraper and 6 others like this.
  2. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I'll look at it, thanks.

Drygulch, PLAla, FaceScraper and 4 others like this.
  3. wristwatchb

That's a beautiful Super Speed collection you have there, Jim. It will be fun to follow along with your SS focus this month.

Drygulch, PLAla, FaceScraper and 5 others like this.
  4. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I will put your whole bunch into my prayers, Rick. You’re a good man.

Drygulch, PLAla, FaceScraper and 9 others like this.
  5. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Keeping you in my prayers...remember I am not far away if you need anything.
    I saw that!!

Drygulch, PLAla, jtspartan and 11 others like this.
  6. wristwatchb

Rick, my prayers are with your daughter, you, and your family.

7. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Thank you, Charlie!

8. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Rick she and you and the rest of your family is in my prayers. Recover can hard road but with with you and other family members supporting her I know that she will be successful.

Sent from my Galaxy using Tapatalk

9. Linuxguile

I am a newbie myself but I found it much more comfortable when I barley have the spine lifted off my face. To much angle gave me that tuggy dragging feeling. Also I find stropping easier when I keep the strop parallel to the floor, I saw this on as video from The Superior Shave.

Drygulch, PLAla, FaceScraper and 8 others like this.
  10. wristwatchb

I guess it's OK to spill the beans. I just invested heavily in 2035 shaving soap futures. We have a lot of guys here working down their soap inventory. 15 years from now when we're all out and SAD sets in, I expect soap demand and prices to skyrocket. I'll be sittin' in tall cotton and livin' well above my raisin' then.
    1.jpg

Load heavy and use up those soaps, men!

Drygulch, NCoxSTL, PLAla and 13 others like this.
  11. Paul76

Paul76 Well-Known Member

It is an all too common occurrence these days. my thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family rick.

12. Paul76

Paul76 Well-Known Member

Good choices so far. We need pics of your set up. Is it a hollow grind? And as far as stripping goes that is one of the mistakes commonly made by a new sr user. That’s why we give the recommendation of a paddle strop or laying it flat, it makes it a lot easier to keep the spine and edge both in contact without having to worry about how much tension to put on the strop. A 127 Illinois is a great choice due to quality and cost. One to two widths of the spine is generally a good cutting angle for a sr for with the grain passes. For the across and against the grain passes one or less is the best range.

13. Linuxguile

SOTD July 1st
    [​IMG]

REX Ambassador (4)
    Dorco ST-301 (3)
    Simpson's CH2 Synthetic
    Oleo Soapworks Empire soap and AS

A rare weekend shave for me but my wife and I were going out to brunch with some friends and I wanted to look and smell good. This Oleo Empire soap uses the canard base and it made a very creamy, smooth, slick lather. The scent was great with the familiar bergamot type cologne scent but with some sweet florals mixed into the top. For those interested this scent is a dupe of Dior Sauvage. The AS had a good amount of menthol which felt good on the face but overpowered the scent. By the time the menthol faded so had the florals which just left me with the familiar bergamot cologne type scent, which lasted a good 3 hours. The makeup of the AS is very similar to Fine Accoutrements in that there is only water, alcohol, fragrance, and menthol, so there is no skin hydrating element.

All in all a very good shave but the Dorco was starting to fail so it wasn't as smooth as it could have been. Have a great day my friends!

Drygulch, PLAla, jtspartan and 11 others like this.
  14. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Great write up. John I have had a hit and miss relationship with Gem Razors as a group. I really like the Damaskeene and get along with the 1912. I didn't like the Feather Weight or TTO Micormatic.

15. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Wonderful photo and write up Andrew. Oleo has some interesting scent profiles.

16. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Looks like a great start to the month, Andrew!

Drygulch, PLAla, FaceScraper and 4 others like this.
  17. Linuxguile

Thank you Clint, this soap base seems like it's going to be a top tier performer too!
    Thanks Jim!

18. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

Thanks, Clint. I expect I will spend SEptember revisiting all my Gem models and maybe doing some winnowing. For this month, I will be hauling out the DEs again.

Drygulch, PLAla, FaceScraper and 7 others like this.
  19. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

My prayers are with you to over this difficult situation.

Well done, on ward to the next soap.

Try a steeper angle and make sure you have a wet lather, runny is right consistency. Stropping is not that hard, the key is very light to no pressure and keeping the blade flat on the leather. Rolling the edge comes when you apply pressure towards the edge of the razor or have too much slack in the strop.

A very wise investment, I wonder if this considered insider trading?

Drygulch, PLAla, FaceScraper and 8 others like this.
  20. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Super write up, both of you. I have only ever really enjoyed using two Gem razors: the MMOC, and the Junior. I need to do a 30 Day with one of them. Never been able to pull off comfortable shaves with them on my neck. Close, to be sure, but not comfortable. One of these days I will get around to it, but I still think the available blades suck.