July 2021 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion. All are welcome!

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by Primotenore, Jul 1, 2021.

?

How will you celebrate Freedom Month?

1. By shaving with whatever I please.

10 vote(s)
    58.8%
  2. By committing to my first rule.

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  3. By committing to my first focus.

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  4. By shaving with only American-made products.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. By eating only American-made ice cream and cookies.

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  6. By voting to commit the writer of these polls.

4 vote(s)
    23.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

Thanks Danny. This year is going way too fast!

Paul Turner, Hembree and jgreenepa like this.
  2. Trigger

I understand and completely agree with you Danny. This is my take on the Essence by Tedalus, but before I begin, I just want to say that I am glad for Bill and Jeff for getting it.
    Without a doubt, the Essence is the most aesthetic and flexible shavette on the market. By Bill's, Jeff's assessments as well as yours, it is a remarkable razor that shaves and feels like a traditional straight.
    Here are my cons with this wonderful tool:
    Price is number one. I can't see spending over 40 dollars for a shavette, let alone 348 dollars for one.

Second, Heirloom Quality: Personally, a shavette is not an heirloom piece, regardless as to how gorgeous it is. Also, there may come a day where the longer Feather blades, etc. may not be made 50 years from now which would make all shavettea obsolete whereas a modern straight razor can last upward to one hundred years or more with great functionality.
    It's why I paid way more on my 2 customs than on an Essemce.

Third, As stated by tbe creator, Manuel, the price was due to the intense R&D development of the Essence.
    Sorry, I do not want to pay for R&D because he wants to make a limited amount of razors to recoup the expense and still make a profit. I realize that he is a small razormaker and I understand why he marketed this razor in this manner, but again, I question putting beaucoup dollars on R&D on a glorified shavette.

In conclusion, this is why I didn't buy into the hype of this razor. Again, I am not doubting that it is a magnificent shaver, but a shavette is a shavette.

3. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

To add a few more pictures to the mix…..

There was No Way that I was going to let this guy off the hook for the TR6 ride he promised for just some ‘health blip’. What a beautiful piece it is. I should have taken more pictures. Great to have him back in great form.

36B8962F-DA2B-4D8F-93A4-EE0C650B81E9.jpeg

And here we have Jeff with some of his most prized possessions……the fierce duo Gromit and Obie, his cool stropping device the ‘Constroption’, an empty Manhattan, and an old hunk of somebody’s pool table that he sharpens his razors with.

785216A5-FB14-44E2-9098-9E2658CFD15B.jpeg

What a great time with a great friend. Use care on the consumption of any more than 2 of the healthy beverages he whips up.

Makes the most awesome tuna salad with tomato and pickled corn relish sandwich you could ever imagine. Yum.

Yes, he does consume well cooked scrapple and seem to enjoy it. The taste for which I am not sure I can live long enough to acquire.

Great time. Thanks Jeff.

Dave in KY, Paul Turner, jluc and 5 others like this.
  4. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

I am happy for anyone who owns one. They own a remarkable razor and one they will enjoy for years.

You brought up some good points with r & d. With the limited run of 333 units the r & d is spread across those unit which makes that run more expensive but it also make that run more exclusive.

If the run was 1000 units would the price of the razor be $200.00? I don't know but at $200.00 it is a lot more palatable.

5. Hembree

Looks like a great time. Glad y'all had the opportunity to get together.

6. brit

brit in a box

thank you Danny.it's a bit better..:)

jgreenepa, Trigger, clint64 and 2 others like this.
  7. brit

brit in a box

awesome summary Clint..:cool:

8. brit

brit in a box

classy pic Danny..:cool:

Trigger, clint64 and Hembree like this.
  9. brit

brit in a box

awesome..:cool:

jgreenepa, Trigger, jluc and 2 others like this.
  10. brit

brit in a box

awesome Jeff:cool:,there's my razor.;).

11. brit

brit in a box

fabulous Joe..:cool:

12. Hembree

Good to hear.

13. Hembree

Thanks Gary

14. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

I will too but that will be in Mid September. We are in for a hot one this year.

jgreenepa, Trigger and Hembree like this.
  15. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

My guess is he will make more runs in the future so you will have a chance. I am not so sure his price will be much less on future runs. If you take a look at a Feather DX with wood scales you are at $270 and that is mass produced. Let's be for real for a second about heirloom shaving stuff. Unless one has a son or son-in-law into wet shaving all our crap will end up in donation pile, given away for nothing or thrown away. If that were not the case people would not find vintage razors for cheap.

I used to make the same argument with pistols and rifles. They are an heirloom piece and will hold value or appreciate. It only works when one buys a top quality piece that is in very high demand. Then it appreciates in value. Otherwise it is just an old gun.

16. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Thanks, Gary!

Sent from my SM-T290 using Tapatalk

brit, jgreenepa, Hembree and 2 others like this.
  17. Trigger

Thanks Danny. I just want to make clear that buying an expensive razor is a personal decision and requires careful thought and consideration before making the purchase. I am sure there are those here that are scratching their heads as to why I pulled the trigger on Max and Artie. Bottom line is that we all come from different backgrounds, etc. and we make purchasing decisions accordingly.

jgreenepa and Hembree like this.
  18. Trigger

Thanks Gary!

brit and jgreenepa like this.
  19. Trigger

You also make a valid point, Clint. I like these types of discusssions. Fortunately, I recently found out that my niece's husband was a straight shaver, but let it go by the wayside. He wants to get back to it. I told him about my collection and that if my nephews are not interested, that he can have it when I am gone. I am going to show him my stuff soon so that it would wet his appetite to pick up straight shaving once again.

jgreenepa, Hembree and clint64 like this.
  20. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

Which razor are you referring to, Gary?

brit, Trigger and Hembree like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.