July 2022 30 Day Rule/Focus and Discussion. All Are Welcome!

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by Trigger, Jul 1, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

Wonderful Wednesday Shave Hogie. You really are shaving well with the Hawk. Enjoy your day!

JACarbone, Hogie and brit like this.
  2. brit

brit in a box

oh ok.i meant the short one with the wood handle..:D..in jest of course.:):eatdrink047:your open edge shaves are consistently good.just like my DE ones.:)

JACarbone, Hogie and Trigger like this.
  3. brit

brit in a box

fab shave and pic Gary.:cool::eatdrink047:

JACarbone, Hogie and Trigger like this.
  4. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I'm glad names like Personna, Shick, Clubman(you just knew I had to throw in Pinaud)have stayed solid all these years.

5. Paul Turner

Oh I se, just scoop out the soap with my brush than transfer it to the bowl?

JACarbone, Trigger and brit like this.
  6. Trigger

Thanks Gary. I love open edge shaving as much as you love DE shaving. Don't get me wrong. I love DE shaving, but it's different.

JACarbone, Hogie and brit like this.
  7. Trigger

Actually, you can't scoop out soap with a brush. A teaspoon would be a better option.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2022
  8. Paul Turner

Right, thanks.

9. brit

brit in a box

here is my way.
    shave cream in a tub-i scoop out a little with a suitable implement.add to bowl or brush depending on type of lather you are doing.
    shave cream in a tube-i squirt a bit onto a damp brush or into a bowl depending on lather type.
    shave soap,hard- i load the brush on the puck.proceed to bowl lather or face lather.
    shave croap in a tub-i scoop out a small amount with suitable implement and press it into shave bowl.on older croaps that have hardened up a bit i load brush directly from puck,as i won't be passing them along to others.

mrchick, Trigger, JACarbone and 2 others like this.
  10. brit

brit in a box

:):eatdrink047:

Trigger, JACarbone and Hogie like this.
  11. Paul Turner

I've been here since 2015 and I still don't know what " croap" is....is it a perfect mix of cream and soap? I'll try suggestions 4 and 3. Will go easy with the brush and make sure I squeeze out all the water from the tap first. Thanks Gary.

12. Paul Turner

You still think I shouldn't try "knife-shaving"?

Trigger, JACarbone and brit like this.
  13. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

Pinaud is good stuff!

14. NETWizz

NETWizz Active Member

Thanks for the help thus far... Still have a way to go, but I am getting the hang!

Okay, for the first time, I am going to say, "Wow." I had an amazing shave. Honestly, it matched one of the best cartridge shaves I have ever had in quality, smoothness, not pulling or dragging, no bumps or irritation, and no blood whatsoever. It was so smooth like a brand new cartridge on very short stubble only without the irritation that causes and closer, yet it did it with about two days growth and without clogging, too!

Honestly, this was a 9/10 or a 9.5/10 shave quality. I put on the Nivea aftershave gel for sensitive skin, but my skin does not feel raw, red, or irritated, so it is merely like a lotion to replace moisture this time. My girlfriend and I are both working from home, and she complemented the way my face feels by putting her hands on my face and giving me a kiss!

Today was my fourth (4th) shave of my Derby Extra blade in my VDH. I think last time I took it out and rinsed it then flipped the blade for good measure.

I am still having trouble with making enough lather, so I just shaved by section concentrating on making more lather as a work-around. I probably do not need a 1/4" thick of lather, but I did that for years with canned goo, so that is what I am going for with peaks. I was able to get peaks this time though, and that Stirling Barbershop soap smells amazing compared to the canned stuff.

Perhaps I should get a bigger lather bowl or use distilled water, which might be softer? Or perhaps I should get a stiffer brush for making the lather using the soft synthetic for application only. Maybe I should change nothing for the rest of July to finish the 30 day shave.

Regardless, today was the day I decided I am NOT going back to cartridges. Going to be a lifelong DE shaver! It feels great, works better, and is cheaper too. The only exception is that in my carry-on when I go through the TSA I will leave a packaged, sealed disposable I will open only if they misplace my checked luggage.

kjbarth, wristwatchb, ewk and 4 others like this.
  15. brit

brit in a box

"croap" is a consistency us wetshavers use that describes a firm cream or soft soap.not a real word i believe.:):eatdrink047:.
    good luck with your brush work..:)

Trigger, JACarbone and Paul Turner like this.
  16. Paul Turner

Thanks, and if it gets messy, I'll try your way.

17. Paul Turner

I bet i was the only one in my High School who used it :). AAhhh, shux to everyone else :).

18. brit

brit in a box

congrats on the step forward.i have used vintage gillette DE now for 5+ years after carts for 35+.no regrets whatsoever.:):eatdrink047:

Trigger and JACarbone like this.
  19. brit

brit in a box

:):eatdrink047:

Trigger, JACarbone and Paul Turner like this.
  20. Paul Turner

Y'know, come to think of it, Doc Ezlovan fills Stoylin soaps right to the top.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.