June 2017 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, May 31, 2017.

?

What would you most like for Father's Day?

1. A brand new modern stainless steel razor baby!

3 vote(s)
    8.1%
  2. A vintage DE razor!

7 vote(s)
    18.9%
  3. A vintage straight razor - I'm living the dark side!

9 vote(s)
    24.3%
  4. A nice vintage injector!

1 vote(s)
    2.7%
  5. A new brush - or an old one to restore!

8 vote(s)
    21.6%
  6. Some of my favorite soap or shaving cream!

14 vote(s)
    37.8%
  7. Cookies - LOTS of cookies!!

11 vote(s)
    29.7%
  8. A group intro without this stupid poll!!!!

7 vote(s)
    18.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

Friday June 30 - soap wrapup

Rockwell 6s on plate #3 / Topaz Platinum ( 1 )
    30DC LE Cashmere Maple brush
    Arko
    Alum and Thayers Witch Hazel Astringent Aftershave

I think I face lathered my Dirty Deeds Arroyo Cactus sample yesterday - or maybe it was the day before. Anyway, I decided to end my month of soaps with a perfect face lather from a soap I have used less than a handful of times so far. I therefore went with that most traditional and iconic of all handmade, small batch, artisan soaps -- Arko.

The Arko stick rubbed on my wet face left behind the usual tiny amount of product, which the slightly damp brush then whipped up into the usual generous faceful of lather. With enough worked into the brush, of course, for several followup passes.

My two usual passes and I had my usual DFS+. The alum was silent as usual, and a splash of Thayers finished everything off.

Truthfully, if all I wanted was a good daily shave, I could have settled on the carton of Arko long ago and just skipped all the trying and testing of other soaps and creams. But what would be the fun in that?

This month, I have used my 30DC LE as my only brush. I wasn't sure how the Cashmere knot was going to be, but it gave excellent face and bowl lathers of every cream and soap I threw at it. The handle design is comfortable for all methods of use I tried, and the workmanship to my eyes is flawless. Finally, a month of daily use has put no marks whatsoever on the finish. I expect it will be one of my small handful of daily drivers for years to come.

I worked my way through my soap inventory and found that all of the ones I have work well and will remain in my rotation. Not too surprising as I have bought only soaps that had good reviews from prior users, especially here on the Crew. In particular, I remember buying Haslinger, Jeeves of Hudson Street, Reef Point, Route 66, Soap Commander and Stirling after seeing them heavily praised here. Word of mouth from people you trust generally works out well.

As I already mentioned in the new July thread, I am going to continue on through my sample creams and soaps now, although the products will have to be truly exceptional for me to add still more full-sized tubs to my den...

2. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Great news Perry. Get some rest and heal up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SharptoothC, PLAla, Fup and 2 others like this.
  3. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Thanks Clint!

4. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Great news, Perry!

5. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Outstanding Perry. I hope you heal quickly.

6. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Razor: Gillette Flair Tip (A3) (1955)
    Blade: Wilkinson (6)
    Brush: WDC-8 w/APShave Co.Cashmere
    Soap: Nuavia Blu
    Aftershave: Fine Platinum
    Bowl: Boise Mudworks Olive Drab
    30 06 17a.jpg

7. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Beautiful picture, Doug!

8. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

My focus this month was on Nuavia shave soaps. I used each soap for 10 days in a row.
    Nuavia.jpg
    I really enjoyed these outstanding quality soaps. Their ingredients are top of the line.

The Verde
    http://www.pannacrema.com/en/nuavia/72-nuavia-verde.html

This is an excellent soap that was very easy to lather, had lots of cushion and was slick. I didn't find the scent very forthcoming so I would classify it as #3. Keep in mind this old nose isn't what it used to be. :)

The Rossa
    http://www.pannacrema.com/en/nuavia/56-nuavia-rossa.html

Excellent shave soap with loads of cushion, very easy to lather, and very slick. The plus side for me was the scent. The scent filed the shave den and I couldn't wait for my next shave. I would put this soap at #1.

The Blu
    http://www.pannacrema.com/en/nuavia/55-nuavia-blu.html

Once again a very easy soap to lather with lots of cushion, and it was also very slick. The scent to me was very good but not as strong as the Rossa. This would be my pick at #2.

I my opinion these are all outstanding shave soaps and you couldn't go wrong with any one of the three. (YMMV)

This for me was a great focus for the month of June and it provided great shaves all month.

9. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Thank you Jim. I did early in the morning as I wanted to get a little of the fog in the picture.

10. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Looks like the water is still pretty high Doug!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

11. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Good news. Have a restful weekend.

12. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

It may have gone down a little, but we've had so much rain it is keeping the water level very high.

13. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

:signs107:
    Good news and wishing you a speedy recovery.

14. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Great Photo Doug. :happy088:

Great recap of your month using the Nauvia line of soaps. I've never tried the Verde but I do enjoy the Blu and Rossa.

15. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Thank you very much Clint.

SharptoothC, Linuxguile and clint64 like this.
  16. LevelupShaves

LevelupShaves Well-Known Member

Alright the focus is over with the month of June and I wanted to give a recap of my progress.
    The first Two weeks (back in May) I used the exact same setup Blades Grim Smolder Soap and AS the Merkur 38C with a Shark Stainless blade. I used the Purest Satin tip Brush and a Gentleman Jon Alum Block.
    Through the first two weeks I learned to watch my blade angle, pressure and riding the cap. I also figured out I'm a cold water shaver.
    [​IMG]

Weeks 3 and 4 I kept the Murkur 38C Sharks and Alum but used different Soaps and Aftershaves I learned to make a good lather with a variety of different soaps. I also learned that the software isn't a huge factor in a Shave with good technique. I tend to prefer Tallow soaps but there are also some great vegan soaps as well.
    [​IMG]

Weeks 5 and 6 were all about blades continued using the 38C paired with Razorock xXx and Fine Platinum AS. I kept using the ever vigilant Gentleman Jon Alum for feedback as well. I learned once more technique really trumps tools and I prefer a sharper blade to a smoother one. Particularly Feathers and Bics.
    [​IMG]

Week 7 was all about Razors I used a different razor every week and handled them all pretty easily with the exception of a Bakelite OC slant that may take a little more work to dial in. I also learned I'm a fan of adjustables. I went with week ones setup to finish off my focus.
    [​IMG]
    I'd like to give a shoutout to the 30 day crew for all of the help. A lot of people have offered advice but I feel inclined to give a shoutout to
    @Bama Samurai @wchnu@Jayaruh@BaylorGator @SharptoothC and @RyX for all of the advice along the way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jun 30, 2017
    PLAla, Keithmax, RetLEO-07 and 6 others like this.
  17. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

For my last shave of June, I stayed with what I've been working on.
    40's SS, VDH Deluxe (I can see the bottom! I'm almost done with it), VDH boar brush, Lord blade. 4th shave.
    Can't tell of any tugging or anything else with the blade. Smooth shave, decided to chase the baby a bit, and my AV Blue reminded me why that isn't always the best of ideas. No nicks, weepers, or anything else bad. Just a bit of sting around the chin.

PLAla, Keithmax, Linuxguile and 4 others like this.
  18. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

Glad to hear things went well. Here's to continued good news and a solid recovery!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

19. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

Anytime, friend!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Linuxguile, clint64 and Douglas Carey like this.
  20. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

June 2017!!!

Trials and Tribulations

June 30

Razor - 1959 (E4) Gillette Fatboy (9)
    Blade - [​IMG] (3)
    Soap - Stirling Sandalwood
    Brush - 30 DC LE
    Post - Alum

Let's wrap up June, shall we? A fine month of trials with just a bit of tribulation thrown in. And some new soaps and a fantastic new brush that got used again tonight. I chose the Stirling Sandalwood to finish the month and the LE brush did a fine job of loading and face lathering. Two passes and touch up on the wide open Fattie and while I didn't get the baby I got a very very nice DFS. I'd rate this blade along with the Topaz. Alum was a bit warm but not bad at all. Definitely a serviceable blade that I wouldn't refuse to use. Coming up in the next few days I'm going to do some cost comparisons between the Indian blades I've trialed this month and try to put them in some order of ranking to sum it up. I have more Indian blades to go and I'll continue with a few of them in July, but my focus is changing for the next month. Trial runs will be the break in the routine in July.

Thanks to everyone for another great month here in 30 Day Land. Not quite as busy as a few months previous but a lot of vacations, travel and family activities so it's all good. See you over on the July thread!!

Thats all folks.jpg

SharptoothC, PLAla, Keithmax and 5 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.