June 2018 30 Day Rule/focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, May 31, 2018.

?

What was your first razor when you saw the light?

1. Weishi/Van der Hagen/ Microtouch

5 vote(s)
    13.5%
  2. Gillette TTO (Super Speed, Aristocrat)

7 vote(s)
    18.9%
  3. Gillette Adjustable

7 vote(s)
    18.9%
  4. Cheap 3 piece or TTO found online or in a store

15 vote(s)
    40.5%
  5. SE of some kind

4 vote(s)
    10.8%
  6. Straight razor - because I was manly like that

1 vote(s)
    2.7%
  7. I was eating a cookie, minding my own business, and was given a razor.

3 vote(s)
    8.1%
  8. I was eating a cookie, minding my own business, woke up with no memory of the first shave.

7 vote(s)
    18.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Another pleasurable single pass mostly ATG shave with the MMOC. I really don't feel I'm giving much up with the single pass.

A view of the rapidly developing Toul Tompoung neighborhood of Phnom Penh.[​IMG]

2. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Your being a great tour guide Jeff!

Sent from my Galaxy using Tapatalk

3. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

Just a quick update... today was another shave with the Bakelite Tech and Dorco Prime Platinum. Following Neal's lead, I pulled out the VdH Luxury soap. It's been in a closed container, but I haven't used it in quite a while and seemed a bit dry. The lather was okay, but I definitely need to work with it more.

For some reason, the VdH Deluxe Soap has pretty much disappeared from the shelves in my area (along with the Williams).

4. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

I've noticed the Deluxe has disappeared around here too.

Sent from my Galaxy using Tapatalk

5. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Saturday SOTD
    June 30, 2018

Blackland Sabre L2
    GEM PTFE
    Varlet Beehive
    Mike's Natural Soap Barber Shop
    Barrister and Mann Seville
    BB 1818

[​IMG]

6. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Just the Basics/Fun June

June 29

How's this for a basic......NO SHAVE NIGHT! That's as basic as it gets. It was a busy day off and I just kind of got behind, so no shave is in the works for me. Tomorrow night will be my weekly head shave along with a regular shave, and for the last shave of June I'll be showing off my last patent drawing that adorns the walls.

July is only one more day away! You ready for Cinco de Julio?!?! If you don't know what that is I'll remind you. The July thread will be up and around sometime tomorrow, most likely evening. We have plans to go hang out in one of the State Parks with a group tomorrow (in spite of the ridiculous heat) then I'll be back. Hope it isn't as hot for you as it is here. We have Provel running liquid in the streets. Tell New York to prepare.

Statue of Liberty Heat Wave.jpg

7. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Friday Shave

For Friday I broke the extreme smiling Herr Razor.
    Razor: Herr Razors
    Strop: T Miller
    Brush: Handle by Jason, Omega boar knot
    Pre: Proraso
    Soap: Stirling
    AS: Enhanced Florida Water AS, Edwin Jagger ASB
    Scent: Phenhaligon’s Hammam Boquet

ID - 1.jpg

Saturday Shave
    Since the Stirling has been working well I decided to pull out an old tub of Mike's and see if it performs better than I remember. Yes it did, maybe my water changed? Just like building the lather on the puck worked for Stirling I built the lather on the puck and it worked.

Irritation A Closeness A+ Smoothness A+ Sharpness A+

Razor: Mastro Livi Gifretto
    Strop: Mastro Livi
    Brush: Thäter 2 band
    Pre: Proraso
    Soap: Mike’s
    AS: Enhanced Florida Water AS, Edwin Jagger ASB
    Scent: YSL Rive Gauche

ID - 2.jpg

8. RyX

RyX DoH!

June Injector Focus

Razorock Cumba Cheech SS
    Omega Pro 98 boar brush
    Suribachi bowl, cool water
    Schick type J-1, Chick blade
    Pinaud Lime Sec EDC

KIMG1011-01.jpeg
    Sampling another new to me, and I think discontinued soap from the remnants of the Pass Around Box. Nice light orange scent, standard issue acceptable quality lather. It served well on several days growth, and the Schick performed in its usual high quality reduction. Finished off with contrasting citrus AS

It's been a good month of Focus for me. I've enjoyed shuffling through my SE's. Looking forward to July.

Good Shaves Y'all!

9. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Same here. The Luxury is plentiful at Walmart. Deluxe I ordered from the bay.

10. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Terrific picture, Mark!

Linuxguile, FaceScraper, jluc and 2 others like this.
  11. Norcalnewb

Some great looking shaves, Keith!

12. Norcalnewb

Great picture, Rick!

FaceScraper, RyX, jluc and 1 other person like this.
  13. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Thanks Jim! :)

jluc, Norcalnewb and clint64 like this.
  14. Norcalnewb

4F11EDFA-1D61-454F-B350-638ACD5A45FD.jpeg

June 30 SOTD:

Razor: Ever-Ready 1914
    Blade: Gem Stainless
    Brush: PAA Atomic Rocket
    Lather: AOS Tallow
    Aftershave: TOBS Sandalwood
    Additional Care:
    Stirling Unscented PSB

@Keithmax sent me this AOS tallow as a PIF, and I got a chance to use it this morning. I usually don't rate soaps on one use, but this one is pretty awesome. The scent was pretty faded, but a little hint of Sandalwood was left. The lather was terrific. I can see what all the fuss is about this now vintage soap. Too bad AOS discontinued it. A little TOBS Sandalwood to finish and my Saturday is off to a great start. I hope everyone has a great day!

15. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Great picture Rick. Good to see you posting.

FaceScraper, RyX, jluc and 1 other person like this.
  16. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Great picture Jim. I have some current AOS soap and it is ok but nothing special. They should have left things alone with the tallow version.

17. Norcalnewb

Thank you, Clint! I would agree. I have some current type as well, and it is a decent enough soap, but not this good.

18. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Sounds like AOS was of the mindset, "Let's try something new just to be different"....and it blew up in their face(no offense meant to AOS in general).

FaceScraper, RyX, Keithmax and 4 others like this.
  19. Norcalnewb

They probably looked for a cost savings and found a formula that isn't quite as good, but they can charge as much for it.

FaceScraper, RyX, Keithmax and 4 others like this.
  20. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

June 30, 2018
    Rocnel SE-G
    Gem PTFE
    Thäter 4125/3
    C&E West Indian Lime Shaving Cream
    Myrsol Agua de Limón

[​IMG]

This shave was inspired by @Boojum1 . We were texting about Gem razors and it reminded me I have not used the Rocnel SE-G since March. So I loaded up a Gem PTFE blade with care and off we go. I can say with absolute certainty that the SE-G is not close to the Karve in forgiveness. However the Thäter was pure pampering and luxurious while face lathering. Two passes and touch ups left me with a very close shave. Not quite a BBS shave but close enough to scare the little guy. The bad news is the nut driving the razor didn't pay attention and ended up with a good nick. The SE-G is not on automatic pilot yet. I hope everyone has a great Saturday.

June 2018 Recap

[​IMG]

June has been a great start to the summer. During the month, I tried out two new razors, the Delta Echo SC and the Karve D Plate. Both turned out to be fantastic razors. I have continued to work on using up soaps and creams with no empties this month. As usual the best part was following everyone's adventures during the month. The spirit of friendship and camaraderie exhibited on this thread is not something I see nearly enough. Thanks again for a great month. I am looking forward to participating in July

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.