June 2018 30 Day Rule/focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, May 31, 2018.

?

What was your first razor when you saw the light?

1. Weishi/Van der Hagen/ Microtouch

5 vote(s)
    13.5%
  2. Gillette TTO (Super Speed, Aristocrat)

7 vote(s)
    18.9%
  3. Gillette Adjustable

7 vote(s)
    18.9%
  4. Cheap 3 piece or TTO found online or in a store

15 vote(s)
    40.5%
  5. SE of some kind

4 vote(s)
    10.8%
  6. Straight razor - because I was manly like that

1 vote(s)
    2.7%
  7. I was eating a cookie, minding my own business, and was given a razor.

3 vote(s)
    8.1%
  8. I was eating a cookie, minding my own business, woke up with no memory of the first shave.

7 vote(s)
    18.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

I've thought about giving that a try as well. I'm sure I'd fail miserably. Unless I'm in a Rule my curiosity gets the best of me.

2. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Oh my gosh. First day in, and I’m lost.

Haven’t shaved in almost a week. Took the afternoon off to prep stuff. Last grad party tomorrow.

-1500 wings prepped
    -100+ Pounds of salads
    -A literal pickup box full of pop and beer
    -Old railroad depot is rented
    -Band is lined up:

-P.A. System for the kids when the band is done.

My daughter is the last/youngest for a whole bunch of us, teachers, parents, family friends, etc, to graduate. This is almost an adult party, combined with it being for her as an afterthought. .

As far as grad parties go, this one might really head towards the epic.

3. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

I don’t pull my EJ 89 out very often, but when I do, I find that it is more efficient than I initially thought. Riding the Cap is essential with it, imho. Getting that angle right after blade contact makes it an efficient cutter, and lets the weight of the razor do the work. Any adjusting past that angle, and it becomes very mild.
    Of course, putting a Nacet in any razor is never a bad idea, either...

4. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Thanks Scott, I'll do that next time I use the EJ.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

5. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Just the Basics June/Just for Fun June - take your pick

June 1

Razor - Van Der Hagen TTO
    Blade - Generic Personna - Walgreen's version
    Soap - Van Der Hagen Scented Luxury
    Brush - Omega BoS 10066
    Post - Alum, Aqua Velva Musk (Saturday morning)

And we're off! Still catching up a bit on the first 6 pages so far but I'll get there. Busy day today with a Dr. appointment this morning that led to lunch, getting some necessary household stuff, going swimming, cooking and eating ribs. Whew! How do you top off a day like that? With two shaves of course. Head and face.

The head shave was perfect as usual. Merkur 23c for the razor. Astra blade. VDH Boar brush and Arko for the "Basics". Usualy finish on that one. Face shave featured the Van Der Hagen TTO razor. This is the first DE razor I ever used. I don't have any more of the VDH blades so I went with the generic Personnas from Walgreens. The brush was a boar, and the soap was VDH Scented Luxury. I've never used this soap before but I have used several pucks of the Deluxe version and really liked it. This soap has a scent that reminds me a bit of Ozark Mountain from Stirling. The quality, while good for a cheap soap, of course did not match Stirling but I knew it wouldn't. Seriously, though, the lather was slick, and with a few days work with it I'll have it as good or better as most soaps. Love it when the cheap stuff works like that.

I have a puck of Deluxe arriving tomorrow along with a new brush and bowl. And, I got three samples from Soap Commander today so I'll "upgrade" from basic soap to that a few times this month. Finish tonight was a very nice DFS and I'm a happy camper!

June 1 2018.JPG

6. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

That sounds awesome, Jared!
    You had me at the 1500 wings... the pickup full of beer was gravy.:happy088:

7. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Ride the cap!

8. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Have a great party, my friend!

9. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

Fairly basic. Mostly maybe in some drugstore, somewhere, sometime.

I found this little GEM Contour today in an antique store.
    GEM blade
    Proraso Green
    30DC brush
    Skin Bracer

Absurdly good shave. The Contour has a mild feel but was quite effective on a two day beard. It's standing tall amongst my GEM collection.[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

10. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I’m very pleased with it, the handle some weight to it and the knot is nice too. A great value.

TGIF to you and Logan, enjoy the day together.

Welcome

I hope it’s minor and just a right of passage.

Cool I’m all about epic, congratulations and have fun.

11. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Cold water shave.... and it did not go well. The weather is unseasonably hot so I decided to try a cold shave. The razor has held an excellent edge and before the shave it was easily tree topping arm hair so I don't think it was the razor. CF is a top performer for me and the lather seemed fine. I just don't seem to have the same results at the other cold water shavers here. Tomorrow back to warm water.

Irritation B+ Closeness A Smoothness A Sharpness A

Razor: M Martinez 8/8
    Strop: Mastro Livi
    Brush: Gemstar Customs silver tip
    Pre: Proraso
    Soap: Castle Forbes
    AS: Speick AS, Edwin Jagger ASB
    Scent: Dior Eau Sauvage

ID - 1.jpeg

12. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

Congratulations to all.

Don't forget to shave!

:cool:

13. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Wings and beer are my kind of party food. Enjoy the day with your daughter.

14. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

June 2, 2018
    Wolfman SS WR1 OC .61 Blade Gap
    Feather
    Simpson CH2 Synthetic
    Fine Italian Citrus

[​IMG]

Up and moving entirely too early for a Saturday morning getting things ready for Maya's Grad Party this afternoon. I am very happy that we decided to have the party at the neighborhood clubhouse. It is a joint party with her best friend Catherine. Since the wives and girls have taken charge, I will do as I am told running last minute errands etc. At least I was able to get a nice relaxing shave before the madness starts. Two passes and touchups ended in a near perfect shave. I hope everyone has a great Saturday.

15. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I'll tell ya what's next-they take away classic men's fragrances and change them around "because others are doing it". Rise Shaving Cream has become Rise "Super Foam". Old Spice has become "New Spice"(my cynical name for it)*, and if you try to wash under your armpits with today's Lever Soap, good luck at success. (Actually Lever was a bad example for my rant, they'd better not fuss with Dial 4 Men Deodorant Soap). I'll add Coast to that list.
    *-although Doc Ezlovan has done a great job with Stoylin Spice, bringing the original scent about 90% back.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
  16. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Great photo, Clint! Enjoy your day and the party.

17. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thank you Perry. I am just laying low and doing as I am told today. :D

18. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Thanks for the offer Perry. I am embarrassingly inundated with soaps. :scared003:

19. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    June Lavender Focus...
    Saturday, June 2
    [​IMG]
    Chatillon Lux~~Rubberset 400/3~~Gillette Old Type~~Feather

First use of the Chatillon Lux. Now, those that know my style understand that I load heavily. I can honestly say that I "almost" ;) overloaded, that's how soft this product is. (No, Fuzzy, I did NOT bloom it).
    Second. Imagine this cacophony of smells: Lavender, mixed with Bison Tallow and a subtile, but discernible, whiff of Boar Stench. :shocked029:
    Not pretty. It's still lingering, even as I type this.

20. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

June 2nd
    Razor: Timeless. 95
    Blade: Rapira Platinum Lux
    Brush: JR 151
    Pre shave: Stirling mentholated
    Soap: CK Aqua D
    Lucky Tiger face tonic
    AS: CK Aqua D

Great looking shaves this morning!

Just for Fun June shave today, and it was fun! I opened the medicine cabinet and pondered which razor to use? Timeless SS. No blade in it. Hmm, what blade? I keep anything not still in its bulk packaging in a small Tupperware container, chose a Rapira Platinum Lux. The soap and aftershave? Oh yeah, I got a new combo the other day. Everything came together wonderfully! BBS face and DFS+ neck. Barely a whisper from the alum. I'm saving the word epic for when I get a shave like this with no feedback from the alum, but man this was close. I'm guessing 14 hours or so between shaves, a few short months ago that was unthinkable.

Have a great day gentlemen!
    [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.