June 2020 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by NCoxSTL, May 31, 2020.

?

Your plan for June?

1. I'm gonna rock a RULE!

2 vote(s)
    7.4%
  2. Basic razors are my plan. Keep it simple, keep it real.

8 vote(s)
    29.6%
  3. Basic aftershaves and shave cream soap. Keep it simple, keep it real.

5 vote(s)
    18.5%
  4. Basic everything! Keep it simple, keep it real.

7 vote(s)
    25.9%
  5. I'm just waiting for more cookies. Keep it simple, keep it sweet!

8 vote(s)
    29.6%
  6. I'm just waiting for more ice cream. Keep it simple, keep it cold!

8 vote(s)
    29.6%
  7. I'm going to shave. With some gear. Just keeping on like I always do.

16 vote(s)
    59.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

OH that's right :). I'm afraid I won't have enough quarters to get SS, but maybe my finance man and I can work out something. But gimme de Medicare when I get there.

2. brit

brit in a box

awesome set up and pic Jim..

3. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

June 1st
    Canadian Old Type w GSB
    Simpson Sovereign (T2)/ Resin
    B&M Reserve Cool combo
    Thayers
    IMG_4869.jpg
    For this month's focus, I'll focus on 'basic' vintage razors. I'll define basic as those that were cheap and meant for the masses at the time. I assumed this Old Type would fall under than category, but apparently I was wrong. Looked up some advertisements on the Mr Razor site last night after taking this pic and was shocked at the price of these razors back in the day. $5 for a cased ball end OT in 1920! For reference, a NEW Red and Black set was 79 cents in the 30', a plated Tech was 79 cents in the 40s (as was a Micromatic) and an Adjustable was $1.95 in the 50s. Bostonians and New Deluxes in gold were both $5. Looks like my Basics focus will have to include Techs, NEW LC or SC, GEMs and Injectors. Still a fine month.
    Today's shave with my 'apparently quite expensive for the day' Old Type was excellent. Hammered away at the bloomed Cool, was rewarded with a great lather, went with the blade that was already in the razor and had 3 easy passes.
    I am quite smooth, smelling great and looking forward to a few basic razors this month.
    Basic software? Well, I'll pull my Palmolive and Proraso out a few times, but that will be about it.
    Have a great day all!

4. brit

brit in a box

20200531_134010_edited.jpg
    blue monday shave
    old faithful-french new rfb/french hollow tech handle
    7 oclock blue
    omega boar
    klar seifen sport
    nivea blue

good morning gents.simple basic shave today with old faithful.its a well worn new rfb/brit made for french export.french tech hollow and thinner cap than the brit only version.this oc is my favorite razor and gives consistently fantastic shaves. loaded with a 7 oclock blue for the first time.good load of klar sport soap and face lathered,perfect.love these omega boars..2+ smooth passes for a bbs..nivea blue to finish.awesomely fabulous shave..will definitely do this combo again.hope everyone is well,happy june 1st..

5. brit

brit in a box

awesome shave and pic Jason,good morning..

6. brit

brit in a box

fine shave and pic Tim,happy June..

7. brit

brit in a box

fine shave Paul,good morning..

8. brit

brit in a box

awesome shave and pic Blair..

9. brit

brit in a box

awesome flare tip shave Jim..

10. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

I would say that the Tuxedo isn't my favourite either, Keith. I do enjoy Synthetic knots, but would definitely put this behind most of the other APShaveCo offerings. A big 30mm SynBad is my favourite Synth of theirs.
    Those Flare Tips are very underrated, humble, excellent shavers, imho. Lovely 'Basic' shave, Jim. The Palmolive always punches above its weight for me and the Astra SP is such a smooth blade.
    Very nice, Blair. The Single Ring looks to be in very good shape. You don't see LA shaving stuff on here very often, but does seem to be very highly regarded.
    Sounds like another great shave.
    Schools here in British Columbia opened up today, Tim. Partial attendance.
    Your favourite razor? High praise indeed, my friend. I tried to do Blues today as well, Gary, but it just doesn't look as cool as yours...have a great day, sir.

11. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

D6D2D6CE-32EA-4A6E-AFF4-D8A8969BC18E.jpeg
    SOTD MONDAY, JUNE 1, 2020

I decided to kick off June by continuing my experiment with the use of a modified AC Feather Super blade in my SS Supply V2. My shave buddy from down under, Russell, was curious as to how many shaves I could achieve with this modified blade. Well, the answer is three and a half, at least with this blade. The problem for me is that working with modified Feather Super blades and Parkinson’s don’t play well together. The blade is too wide to be reloaded into a keyed injector blade magazine. Loading the blade manually was a pain in the petoot. It took a great deal of fumbling during which I accidentally sliced the index finger on my non-dominant hand. Russell routinely gets up to half a dozen shaves, but I don’t believe he’s a head shaver.

I began my shave this morning, after my regular cold water rinse, on the right side of my face. The blade began to tug at the very end of the first WTG pass. Having traveled this road with my AC razors, I injected a new Schick B-20 Proline from an empty keyed Schick magazine I recently reloaded and continued the shave. It was as Safe and effortless As loading an injector blade is supposed to be. Proline blades were my blade of choice for my AC razor before discovering Feather Super blades which are a bit sharper, but much cheaper than Prolines. So I’ll conclude that Feather Supers are my preferred blade for my three AC razors, but I’ll be sticking with Prolines for my injector razors.

The fifth consecutive shave with the SS Supply V2 this morning was every bit as good as the preceding four shaves. I’ll probably stick with Prolines with this razor as the closeness difference isn’t noticeable. The brush for today was the Alpha Shaving T-400 Tribute fitted with the new 26mm Boar knot ferrule. I returned to the wonderful Nancy Boy Signature Shave cream enhanced with 6 drops Of M-Bomb which I’ll shave with for the rest of this month. The post shave skin feel is awesome. Two passes (WTG, ATG) left me feeling velveteen smooth, clean, cool and refreshed.

RAZOR: SS Supply V2
    BLADE: Schick B-20 Proline
    PREP: Cold water rinse
    BRUSH: Alpha Shaving T-400 Tribute fitted w/ 26mm Boar ferrule
    CREAM: Nancy Boy Signature
    POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with Glyce Glycerin soap followed by Humphreys Lilac WH and Cremo Cooling Post Shave Balm.

12. brit

brit in a box

thank you Jason,yourself as well.

clint64, jgreenepa, jtspartan and 2 others like this.
  13. brit

brit in a box

awesome shave and pic Jeff..

14. Angelo85

Angelo85 Well-Known Member

Monday shave
    Brush: PAA Peregrino
    Razor: 1969 Gillette Black Beauty level 4
    Blade: Elios
    Soap: Fine Aquamarine
    Aftershave: Razorock Acqua 0588DD39-FE85-4D04-821A-FC8D2D925DBF.jpeg Today's shave, the only basic item is the Gillette Black Beauty.

15. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Thanks, Gary!
    Wonderful shave, picture and report, Jason!
    Beautiful Blue Monday shave, Gary!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

16. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

Great shave Tim! I believe that using a soft touch minimizes the severity of the wounds. That's why the 100 shavette shaves is an important learning process.

17. b1hart

b1hart Speed Racer

Very nice Jason, love the image. Great info also....and awesome looking brush with the T2 in it!

Plenty of blues going on there Gary! Fabulous setup!

Super report again Jeff! Hopefully the cut wasn't too concerning! Question....what tool are you using to cut down a Feather AC blade? And....that Nancy Boy SC, got me thinking....

Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
  18. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Thanks again, Gary!
    Thank you, Jason!
    Other than the cut finger it was a great shave, Jeff!
    Very nice, Angelo! I used my Peregrino today as well.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

19. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

Very nice basic shave Jim. I guess green is in.

20. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

Awesome Jason! Have a great day!
    Gary, wonderful shave! Have a great afternoon!
    Superb shave Jeff! Sorry about the slice of your index finger. Hope it wasn't too bad.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.