June 2022 30 Day Rule/Focus and Discussion. All Are Welcome!

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by Trigger, May 31, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

I have one good stone and I am nowhere near being to the point of honing. I have a Naniwa 12,000 and a Norton leveling stone as well as the Norton 4000/8000 which I am told is not a good stone. I have them but will hold off on buying more stones. For now, I plan on staying with the DX and the ProGuard blades. I am amazed at how close those blades get me and yet they are so mild! The SoftGuard were just too mild for me.

2. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

Whoever told you that a Norton4K/8K is not a good stone is crazy. Norton stones are the mainstays of the synthetic stones. Now, can they compare to Japenese naturals (Jnats), Eschers, Arkansas, etc? No. However, the Nortons do provide nice edges based on reviews. Synthetic stones are the next step up from lapping films.

3. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

FE0C9D4E-2DEE-4D64-A1CA-C77D6A7B94FE.jpeg
    SOTD THURSDAY MORNING, JUNE 2, 2022

I obtained the Iwasaki 33 that I shaved my mug with this morning from a very reputable source in Sweden as a 75th birthday present from my family. The razor was described as shave ready, but the few shaves I’d had with it were decent, but somehow didn’t seem to match up to the accolades I’d heard from my son and others. So yesterday morning after my shave, I examined the edge under my USB microscope and discovered a double bevel at the heel and toe. So I killed that edge, and reset the bevel taking the razor through my three Shapton stones (1.5k, 5, 8k) finishing on the Chosera 12k and Gokumyo 20k. And golly, the difference in the shave was simply amazing.

The coaching I received as a new straight shaver working up to the mythical 100 shaves was to not think about shaving my face, but rather to concentrate on just, ever so gently, scooping up the lather. The shave this morning was absolutely silent, almost as though I were shaving with one of my wedges. In fact, I checked to ensure the razor was actually shaving, and it sure was. I guess I achieved a true “stupid sharp” edge. Three full, slow luxurious passes this morning instead of the usual two and a half put the baby to bed. The shave feels much closer than usual, and I know my hand will be returning to my face over the course of the day.

Although my preference in safety razors are SE’s over DE’s, the one vintage DE that I can never get enough of is the Eclipse Red Ring. Unbeknownst to many, the Red Ring is actually an adjustable razor. Twisting the base of the handle controls the blade gap. The one drawback is increasing blade chatter with the wider gap. This little Sheffield safety razor is a very efficient shaver, but the wider blade gaps require the sharpest blades. My preference is always a Feather or a Kai blade, although I suppose a Nacet or Bic would suffice as well. The fresh Kai blade I loaded this morning did the trick in the usual two ATG dome passes. I’m velveteen smooth from neck to noggin.

RAZOR: Iwasaki 33 11/16 (Mug), Eclipse Red Ring (Dome)
    BLADE: Kai DE (Dome)
    PREP: Cold water rinse followed by a heavy scrub with Argan Oil
    BRUSH: BG LE Silvertip Badger
    SOAP: Mitchell’s Wool Fat
    POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by a rinse with Humphreys WH. Finished with Royall Lyme AS/Cologne.

4. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Overall a real nice shave on this Throwback Thursday. I had to say "Overall" due to the fact that I missed a section of North Porcupine(right side). Noticed the miss at breakfast, but it's all gone now. That would be weird to have 1/2 a mustache....hair on one side, clean-shaven on the other. Now that I mention that, watch it become a fad in 5 years! I won't be part of it, that's for sure. Anyway, I probably put on too much Barbasol to prep for the shave. I'd rather err on the side 0f too much, when it comes to shave cream though. But it made me wonder if I'm going to put on too much of the Clubman Brushless next fall(I'll get that soon by the way). Naaah, too much Clubman is just that...too much. No real scent in the Barbasol(well, maybe a LITTLE). Nice work all around. No Cuts, New Yorkers, or red polka-dots. The Skin-Bracer was a nice finish to the shave, then I closed out with Mutamayez(House of Swiss Arabia) cologne. Ooops, forgot the commentary-Very Excellent.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2022
    JACarbone, brit, Hogie and 2 others like this.
  5. Trigger

Very nice shave, pic and lineup Jeff! It seems you developed an awesome edge on that straight razor. Enjoy your day.

JACarbone, Hogie, brit and 1 other person like this.
  6. Trigger

Nice shave and post Paul.

7. Paul Turner

Thanks Joe....looks like I'll have my Stoylin "bath/hand" soaps by Saturday. Maybe the Clubman "Brushless" soap, too? We shall see. By the way, they are bath soaps technically, but I use 'em for hand-washing at the sink.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2022
    JACarbone, brit, jgreenepa and 2 others like this.
  8. jgreenepa

Lovely shave kit, photos with your usual great detailed commentary! Just keep them coming my limey friend! Everyone benefits!

9. jgreenepa

Great shave, Gary! Everybody has the occasional set-down error, just part of the hobby! Enjoy your shaves!

JACarbone, brit, Hogie and 1 other person like this.
  10. Paul Turner

Right..I am living proof of set-down errors. They can turn potential Outta This World Excellent shaves to Pretty Excellent.

JACarbone, brit, Trigger and 2 others like this.
  11. jgreenepa

Also, the Softguards feel like shaving with a cheese grater, but they do work well for some new open edge shavers. They’re the blade my grandson used when he first got into open edge shaving. The Proguard is a blade you can stick with if you wish.

12. jgreenepa

Joe, the new Nortons 4/8 stones are not made in the US,and according to Glen, not worth the money!

13. jgreenepa

Nice shave, Paul!

JACarbone, brit and Paul Turner like this.
  14. jgreenepa

Thanks, Joe!

JACarbone, brit and Trigger like this.
  15. Paul Turner

Thanks Jeff.....turned out fine(the way I always want my Throwback Thursday shaves to be).

JACarbone, brit, Trigger and 2 others like this.
  16. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    +1
    You could have this ONE stone and get really great edges. Everything else is just superfluous.

17. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

My problem is that I tried my hand with a bent razor. It hit the middle on one side and the ends on the other when I tried my hand at honing. I gave up and put oil on it and back into it's case. I don't dare try on the really nice ones I have. The Puma and the Zebra should only need a freshen (I would think) since they were used by the person who sold them and the bevel should already be set. They look like new with no corrosion on the blades at all.

18. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

Theodore is feeling casual today...kick-back kinda mood. Let it all hang out!

DSCN7011.JPG

JACarbone, Paul Turner, brit and 3 others like this.
  19. palmolive fox

palmolive fox The British Birdman

:signs001: Jeff.

20. palmolive fox

palmolive fox The British Birdman

:signs001: Joe..Proraso provides a wonderful lather.

JACarbone, Hogie, brit and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.