June 2022 30 Day Rule/Focus and Discussion. All Are Welcome!

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by Trigger, May 31, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ewk

ewk Well-Known Member

June 30/30 -- Turkish Delight Edition

Razor: Yuma
    Blade: Derby Usta
    Brush: Omega boar (not pictured)
    Soap: Arko
    IMG_20220622_174304925.jpg

Having read in the broader world about the inexpensive Yuma and the love/hate it elicits, I just had to try one myself. I used all items in the package except the brush. The razor is lightweight and has a rough "unfinished" quality about it, but the blade aligns properly and the shave is not at all rough. There is more blade feel than a Gillette Tech, but it is not nearly as aggressive as an Icon Tek. I have never used Usta blades before, but they were comfortable and sharp enough to shave. End result was an acceptable 2.5 pass DFS shave. I will have to use a more familiar and sharper blade to test true efficiency of the razor.

Screwtape, JACarbone, Hogie and 4 others like this.
  2. brit

brit in a box

fine turkish..:cool:

3. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

Very nice shave Eric. It's nice to see razors that are not well-known being used.

4. palmolive fox

palmolive fox The British Birdman

23rd June 2022.

4.jpg

Shaving recipe for today.

Prep: Warm shower:/Lynx Africa Body Wash.

Pre:
    Cold wet flannel to my face.
    Pears Transparent Bar Soap.
    Brush: Omega 10077.
    Bowl Lather.
    Home Bargains Stainless Steel Side Bowl.
    Lather: Erasmic Shaving soap bowl.
    Blade: Ming Shi MP-063. (D2)
    Razor: Baili BD 191.

Cold water face wash with brush squeezing's, Cold Water Face Rinse./ Homemade (~Spring/Summer mix~) Lemon, Eucalyptus, Tea Tree, Essential Oils.3 Menthol Crystals Mixed Together With 200ml of Care+Witch Hazel./P&G Old Spice Hawkridge ASL./L'0REAL Barber Club Reinforcing ASB.

Greetings,

Early Morning Shave,

A wonderful shave to finish my shaving week off in style.

The Baili BD 191... is on offer from many different shaving companies, at various prices 'Vikings Blade' & Razorock are just some that comes to mind.
    The razor is made in china, like a vast majority of Shaving products these days.

The weight of the teardrop shaped handle makes it 'bottom heavy' of which for me i don't mind, because the hefty weight does all the work with no pressure needed when shaving...It's a mild razor which would be good for someone who is curious about trying out traditional wet shaving as the "Tech closed head design" gives extra protection and no risk of catching your ear lobes or under my nose from the blade ends when shaving. A great safety design feature, especially when doing a head shave.

My only gripe with the razor is the handle is slippery, but i rub my fingertips with alum, which gives it a more firmer grip.
    The Baili BD 191 paired together superbly with the Ming Shi MP-063 blade wonderfully making a smooth non-aggressive yet efficient enough razor & blade duo.

Another enjoyable 2 pass + pick ups shave with no errors to report.

Finishing to the shave off with a few small dollops of L'0REAL Barber Club Reinforcing ASB.

My face is feeling smooth cool, & smelling divine.;)

Keep safe, and enjoy your day ladies & gentlemen.:cool:

Enrico, Screwtape, JACarbone and 4 others like this.
  5. brit

brit in a box

fabulous set up and shave Barry.love the erasmic..:cool:

JACarbone, Trigger and palmolive fox like this.
  6. palmolive fox

palmolive fox The British Birdman

:signs001: Gary...Erasmic always provides a good lather.:happy088:

brit, JACarbone and Trigger like this.
  7. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

I really know what it's like to catch just under the nose. The Hawk bit me there when I was trying out the open comb.

This sounds like my shave with the Star 1912. It looks mean but is very gentle.

Fine shave, Barry!

8. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

I like my Red Tip

9. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

My 4th day using my single edge vintage razors. Today was the GEM Featherweight. I got a nice shave with plenty of feedback from the razor. It did bite me on my neck in the same spot it did last time! Just one spot this time. 7th use of the GEM Personna Stainless blade and it still is going strong! I tried mixing a spoon of Almond cream TOBS to the MWF and got really rich, thick cream to shave with. More than enuff for a 3-pass shave even tho I only needed 2 passes. VERY nice!

Showered and let the MWF bloom and my brush & bowl warm. Hot washcloth to the face. I decided to use my Simpson pre-shave oil that I have not used in a while. I should have taken a pic of the cream I created in the lather bowl! Phenominal!

Pre-shave - Simpson Sandalwood pre-shave oil
    Soap - MWF and a spoon of TOBS Almond Cream
    Brush - Simpson Trafalgar T1
    Post - Thayers Facial Toner & Geo F Trumper Sandallwood "Skin Food"

I was a little apprehensive because this little razor bit me the first time I tried it. It got me on the left side of my neck again in the exact same spot! But, no cut on any other place. Last time it got me 4 times! It got me on the 3rd pass!

I did a 3-pass shave WTG, ATG, and XTG. I got very little feedback but, the cut did yell a bit with the alum bar. That cut has been reopened twice now! I used the last of the lather from the brush and bowl to wash my face again and go over the dome for a single pass with my Parker 87R and Astra blade (1st).

The Thayers and the Geo F. Trumper is so nice on the skin. The GEM Featherweight is a bit of a beast but, it got me super close. BBS. I don't cut my upper lip anymore and it is always so smooth after I am done. I stopped trying so hard there and now it's so easy tp get close.

I think I will use the Star 1912 again to end the week tomorrow. That is a nice shaver!

Hope all have a fine Thursday!

DSCN7735.JPG

10. Trigger

Terrific Thursday shave Barry! The Twig by Leaf also has teardrop design. I am sure there are other razors that have a similar design. I don't own a razor with a teardrop handle, but I think that it would probably feel fine in my hand. Enjoy the rest of the afternoon.

palmolive fox, brit and JACarbone like this.
  11. Trigger

Fantastic shave and setup Hogie! I bet the next time you use that razor, you will have a bloodless shave. Enjoy your day!

brit, JACarbone and Hogie like this.
  12. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

I did do better this time. This razor fools you. It has a safety bar and yet, can be aggressive.

Thanks, Joe!

13. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

Red Cabin in the Woods has the following scent profile as listed on the Hub City website:
    “This scent is a nod to my wife's favorite men's fragrance, Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille. The scent opens up with tobacco flower, nutmeg, and anise. Ginger, clove, and vanilla make up the heart. And this all rests on benzoin, tonka, and musk.”

I used an aftershave which has a vanilla scent, Libertalia. I would this that the Clubman Classic Vanilla would work. Also, Wet Shaving Products (WSP) Black Amber Vanille with a scent description of:
    “ We started with some rich, decadent French Vanilla. Then combined it with a rustic amber and rounded out with black Myrrh and a splash of Egyptian Musk.”

Or you could just pick up the matching aftershave.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2022
    brit, Trigger, Hogie and 1 other person like this.
  14. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

OOOH, I mighta had a top-grade shave this morning, but was too lackadaisical down at Cactus Nation. Same equipment as yesterday, with a new brush of course-Albion 1925. Great job at the loading dock, getting a solid amount of Hub City soap onto the Albion. Cheeks&sideburns checked out, S. Porcupine same, I just missed the right side of N. Porcupine(but just went in a minute ago to get it with the razor and hot water). Aqua Velva A.S. and Pierre Cardin cologne to close out. I'll do better on Cactus tomorrow. Very Excellent.

brit, Trigger, Hogie and 1 other person like this.
  15. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

4A548912-B92B-4324-A457-BB5AE1A7ADB1.jpeg

Shavette Shave # 172 - Gemini Shave

Rating: 5 / 5

Razor: RenRen Shavette
    Blade: Perma-Sharp
    Brush: Sawdust Creation Studio Old Cahaba
    Lather: Stirling Sharped Dressed Man
    Aftershave: Stirling Sharp Dressed Man
    Additional Care:
    Stirling Alum Block
    Stirling Unscented Glacial Balm
    Humphreys Cucumber Melon Witch Hazel

I decided to use a Shavette for the first time in about two months. I always get a close shave with these razors no matter which one I choose from my small collection in the den. The razor was fitted with a new blade which delivered a close shave but with a weeper on the jawline which appeared after the first pass. No big deal, the post shave routine with the alum, witch hazel, balm and splash knocked it down.

Today is the first day of my son’s summer vacation. He decided to go to work with his mother instead of hanging with me. I guess I scared him off with the suggestion that we would be splitting some wood at some point today. No worries, the pile is not going away anytime soon.

I hope you all have a great day gentlemen.

16. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

Thank you Joe.

brit, Trigger and Paul Turner like this.
  17. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

Excellent shave Joe

brit and Trigger like this.
  18. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

Very nice Paul.

brit, Trigger and Paul Turner like this.
  19. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

To get the matching A.S., I'd have to get the full soap puck, as there isn't much soap in the sample. I'll work with it, though(the sample). Maybe I'll try the Stoylin Unscented(A.S.) with it. I don't think I have a Vanilla A.S. Thanks for your ideas though. As for full Hub pucks(and aftershaves)I have my eyes on other products I think I'd like better.

20. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

Very nice shave Eric.

brit and Trigger like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.