Just found this local, you see anything worth $$

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by pvtbanks, Nov 28, 2015.

1. pvtbanks

pvtbanks Corners First

Just found this lot local, I can't tell much by the picture, but then again, I don't know a whole lot. The seller is asking 170$ including the wooden box. What do you guys think?[​IMG]

2. NapalmCola

NapalmCola Well-Known Member

First I have to say it is real hard to tell what each item is let alone the condition. I am by no means an expert and what something is worth is very individual. I personally buy stuff at estate and yard sales and have a mutual bussiness relationship with the local antique dealers. That being said I usually pay $3 - $7 for any one item. $5 being the price 90% of the time.
    I personally would say it's worth about $50 . Maybe more maybe less. Depending on the type and condition of each item.
    But this is just one persons thoughts. Others may and I'm sure will vary.

mrchick and pvtbanks like this.
  3. pvtbanks

pvtbanks Corners First

Thank you! I'm new to "hunting in the wild" she is supposed to send better pictures tomorrow, and possibly let me piece my own kit together.

wristwatchb and NapalmCola like this.
  4. NapalmCola

NapalmCola Well-Known Member

Now piecing one together would be a great idea. When I go out I look up each item while I'm there . I know just what it is and if it's overpriced or not. Unless I can't find the item then I just try and figure out it's even usable and if not, how much it takes to fix it.
    If it's overpriced they usually don't do it on purpose. They genuinely don't know. Looks old , must be worth alot right ?
    Making your own set of items you have researched is a great idea. And even if it isn't worth much but you like the looks of it, buy it anyway if it makes you happy , and the price is right.

wristwatchb and pvtbanks like this.
  5. pvtbanks

pvtbanks Corners First

I noticed in the picture the only straight I could see the blade on had a broken scale. So I made sure to let her know I was only interested in user grade items also. That's mainly what I'm after, user grade straights. Everyone is just so dang proud of them.

NapalmCola likes this.
  6. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

Hard to see in the pic but I can't make out anything special in it so I'd probably pass on it at that price. Most of the antique shops around here are the same way. They see nice Dubl Ducks going for $400 on eBay and figure that broken or worn out straight they've got should be worth at least $50 I guess.

NapalmCola and pvtbanks like this.
  7. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Seth,
    Look at it this way, is each item worth $10? I'd say yes. The cabinet alone is worth $25.

8. Joef

Joef Well-Known Member

Good point.

NapalmCola, RaZorBurn123 and pvtbanks like this.
  9. Epimetheus

Epimetheus Well-Known Member

Do you have a way to dispose of the things you do not want to keep? Do you want four eye wash cups? "Stuff" starts to become a burden, as it does for Sarah in the movie Labyrinth. DAMHIKT.

NapalmCola and pvtbanks like this.
  10. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Perhaps you could offer less and see what she says. I doesn't seem unreasonable at her asking price. If you have the cash and want the products, then it is your call. IMHO.

11. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

$170.00 might be a little steep. It's hard to tell condition. I would be more comfortable around $100.00. Make an offer.

12. pvtbanks

pvtbanks Corners First

Thanks for all the help guys! I'm waiting on her response now!

13. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Good luck! We're pulling for you. :)

14. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I'd make an offer on that milkglass eyecup, but that's just me.

15. pvtbanks

pvtbanks Corners First

I also just found a guy selling a brand new tub of Tabac for 20$

NapalmCola and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  16. RaZorBurn123

I counted shaving items only :( yes the value went up! I like the idea of offering a lower price that you'd be more comfortable with.

CyanideMetal and NapalmCola like this.
  17. RaZorBurn123

Is that with the jar?

NapalmCola likes this.
  18. pvtbanks

pvtbanks Corners First

Yes, looks like a ceramic jar maybe? I'm not sure what tabac makes theirs out of.

19. RaZorBurn123

Yes. Worth it. Get it.

NapalmCola likes this.
  20. pvtbanks

pvtbanks Corners First

I might even be able to work him down. It's been listed for a month. Guess I don't have much wild competition around here:eatdrink013: