Just how soft is Wickham Super Smooth supposed to be?

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Oasisdave, Jun 12, 2015.

1. Oasisdave

Oasisdave Active Member; radioactive

Wickham Super Smooth is advertised as a 'soft' soap. My question is just how 'soft' is it supposed to be? I just recieved a tub of Club Cola and it's literally like jelly. I figured maybe it got heated during shipping or when it was sitting in my mailbox so I put it in the fridge for about 8 hours and it firmed up very nicely but the next morning it was back to a jelly like texture. Was hoping some of you that have this soap could chime in and let me know if this is how this soap is supposed to be?

2. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    The softest "soaps" I've heard of have a consistency similar to play-doh, and those are usually Italian soaps. The softest English soap I've used is Mitchell's Wool Fat, and that can barely be cut with a butter knife.

Even English shaving creams have the consistency of soft serve ice cream.

I think your soap got heat stroke.

3. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I think you got the fat corn frused. so "soft" you can't use a knife?
    Truefitt& Hill is pretty soft also. so much so that I always bowl lather it. I use a small spatula to remove some from the tub into a mixing bowl. it's too soft to put the brush into directly, the brush would pick up to much product.

4. Oasisdave

Oasisdave Active Member; radioactive

That's exactly it, this soap is way too soft to lather directly from the container. It has been suggested I leave the lid off to allow it to dry a little so we'll see if that hardens it up a bit.

5. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Softest English soap I've used. Most English soaps are triple milled, and can be used as hockey pucks in a pinch.

Trufitt & Hill's soaps are triple milled. You must be talking about their shaving cream.

6. ischiapp

ischiapp New Product Bloodhound

For the new realise of Apricus 2023, I've searched about the formulas.
    This one, as the other for TGGR (Berry Fields O' Blair, Buddha Wood and May Chang), has a twisted base.

Here a recap of ingredients list (INCI).
    [​IMG]

Paul Turner likes this.
  7. I was one of the testers for the whickams super smooth. it was NOT great at all to lather. It was always like partially melted butter/petroleum jelly. lathered ok, but just wasnt worth the time to test. And when i wasnt fond of the spanish leather or lemongrass scent, i mysteriously stopped recieving samples to try.