Kicking the Habit: A Greener Shave

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by PottyDoctor, Mar 7, 2007.

1. PottyDoctor

PottyDoctor Jeff Foxworthy of Shaving

Kicking the Habit: A Greener Shave!

http://www.greenoptions.com/blog/2007/03/06/kicking_the_habit_a_greener_shave

That's the title to Patrick Donnelly's blog article. It's about his discovery of a 'natual sassafras shaving soap', made by 'A Wild Soap Bar', and how he gave up his chemically bloated goo-in-a-can.

He also has found a 'greener' razor which is made from 100% recycled plastic.

Read all about it on his blog. I left him a comment about The Shave Den and our friendly little place to have fun discussing the lost art of wetshaving.

2. Htownmmm

Htownmmm Member

100% recycled plastic is still plastic. Those who purchased older Gillettes are the true recyclers!

Marty

3. PottyDoctor

Marty,

That's my thoughts exactly! A vintage DE or even a new Merkur or other DE is still the ultimate 'green option' IMHO. In addition, many of us reuse our soap or cream containers for another use when their empty. They make great little bins for screws, nuts, bolts and other little parts.

4. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

I sure do hope he stops by here, because he could be introduced to some real good "all-natural" shaving soaps.

The one he's using, I can tell by reading the ingredients of the WildMan Sassafras Shaving Soap that the lather probably has about a 5 second lifespan before it deflates and dries to smithereens:

Ingredients: saponified cold pressed olive, coconut, palm & castor oils, organic aloe, pure essential oils, calcium bentonite clay, sassafras root, cinnamon bark, organic oats, sea salt

5. PottyDoctor

That's why he was saying the shave was actually less than desirable. Even less comforting than Barbasol! Now that's bad! If this guy ever got a hold of some Mama Bear's soap or cream...he'd be in high cotton!

6. xEliteGunnerX

xEliteGunnerX New Member

A-men my friend :p

7. bearbeard

bearbeard Right Guard

how about some sasparilla scented shaving cream......mmmm, mmmm, good.

8. bearbeard

bearbeard Right Guard

Don't people turn green when they get sick? maybe that is what he was thinking when he said greener.

9. _JP_

_JP_ Searching for a Forum title

He's using a disposal razor! Even though a mailer is included for recycling it again, that still takes energy and other manufacturing resource to produce. And get this - the head of the razor does not get recycled, only the handle does! The "cartridge" is thrown away. The DE system is much cheaper, only the blade needs to be manufactured and that is 100% recyclable if one wants to go to the bother to do so.