Knife Sharpener for a Straight Razor

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by styleguy, Jul 27, 2008.

1. M14Shooter

M14Shooter Well-Known Member

If cost is an issue .I would try Lapping Film or a Barber Hone .If you are gone to stay with straights .A few stones will last you a life time .If just starting out I would buy a shave ready vintage razor from whipped dog and one of his economy strops .A strop is just as important as the razor .It is needed to maintain the edge .It will also take you several weeks to get stropping down .Using the straight will take you a while to learn.It is an acquired skill .But very rewarding once mastered.I would also wait several months before trying to hone a razor .Concentrate on learning to shave with a straight and how to strop . Also you need to use good soap or cream with a straight razor .Arko is cheap and works great .If you need a razor honed I will happy to hone it for you .Good luck with you journey .

Keithmax likes this.
  2. Arnout

Arnout Well-Known Member

I had a chinese copy of the edgepro with some extra, natural stones, and i used the stones once to test, and it is difficult but it.works.

a fine ceramic rod from a no.name vendor works as wel, but again, not easy.

If you want to start cheap, ...
    A small coticule? works for bevels and.to finish razors and is nice to hone knives.

A few cheap coarse synthetic stones and welsh slate finish.

Sandpaper and lapping film?

Balsawood with paste,...

In general a knive sharpening system keeps the angle fixed, in a razor you already have a back to keep the angle fixed.
    For knives, most people use stones until a 1k or 3k, in razorhoning most people start at 1 or 3 k,....
    Again, it is possible to hone a razor on a 1k, but it is extremely difficult, and the result, one way it shaves surprisingly well considering it is a 1k, but its not a nice shave,...

Start with the beginning, get a shave ready razor and a strop, if stropping works out, get a pasted strop or paddle, ......And, if you are confident honing on stones, looking for an extra challenge try the 1k, the edgepro,the rod.. shave with a kitchen.knive, an axe,....

Keithmax and DaltonGang like this.
  3. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

I use a rod guide system for my knives.

I recall reading somewhere that WorkSharp was relatively aggressive at steel removal.

I went with the purchase of Naniwa stonse for my razors. I would have taken the lapping film route if cost had been my concern.

I've seen honing costs at $25.

If you have a 'beater' or 2 on-hand that you just wanna grind on to see what happens, I'm listening for your progress.

Take care.

Keithmax likes this.
  4. Arnout

Arnout Well-Known Member

A belt sander is rather aggressive and generates heat.
    A near wedge will be able to withstand the abuse and dissipate the heat.
    If you work on a 7/8 singing razor the risk of ruining the temper or braking the blade is rather big.
    A narrow belt will also kill the geometrie of the blade.

25 dollar for a honing job seems a lot, but honing and honing are different things.
    To put a new finish on an almost shaveready blade it is theft, but if the blade is buffed, there was geometrie work, bevelsetting, finishing and repinning the scales 25 dollar is cheap.

Keithmax and Edison Carter like this.
  5. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

If you get your razor and strop, and get the razor honed once by someone who knows what they're doing, you could buy a Naniwa 12k stone which can be used to keep that edge sharp indefinitely. As long as you never drop it or blunt it you won't need to send it away.

Obviously someone else with good natural stones could make the edge even better, but the same argument would stand for using a knife sharpening system.

Keithmax, Edison Carter and Arnout like this.
  6. Arnout

Arnout Well-Known Member

Indeed, but there are quite a few natural stones that will do the same but result in a softer edge, so why not get a natural?

7. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

Pretty much because I don't know how to use one!! :p

Are most not going to be more expensive?

8. Arnout

Arnout Well-Known Member

Welsh slates are cheap, even the bigger ones, a standard coticule 14 x 4 cm, should be cheaper than the naniwa 12k, even some nice japanese 10x10 cm stones can be found cheaper.

I started with a 15 x 5 cm selected coticule and a slurrystone and there is no job this stone cant handle. But it took me quite a few stones to realise it

9. Deeter

Deeter Well-Known Member

Edge Pro
    PSA tapes abrasive film, wet
    Angle cube for exact bevel angle

Keithmax likes this.
  10. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    This is a machine made for people that can't hone a razor by hand, no really it is an actual Honing Machine for SR's

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Someplace on my computer, I have a vid of it working, I have to look more

11. Arnout

Arnout Well-Known Member

I have seen a movie somewhere, i wonder what the result is?

Edison Carter likes this.
  12. Mr. Oldschool

Mr. Oldschool Johnny Dangerously

That looks like something my father in law would have made when his machine shop was running. Pretty darn cool!

Edison Carter likes this.