Kokak's Straight Razor journey...

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Kokak, Jul 23, 2017.

1. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

Thanks

2. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

20171028 Sat@2245

Prep: Stirling Bergamot Lavender Pre-Shave Oil
    Shaving Soap: Wild West Shaving Co "Black Bart"
    Shaving Bowl: Captain's Choice Lather Bowl
    Brush: Omega 81052 Boar Brush (23 mm x 54 mm)
    Straight Razor: Thistle Cut Co. 7/8" (1) WTG - XTG (face) WTG - XTG (neck)
    Stropping: Tony Miller 3" Fast Bridle Leather "Plain Chocolate" (40x Linen and 60x Leather)
    Splash: Humphrey's Witch Hazel
    Splash: Citrus & Sandalwood "Blend"
    Balm: none

I had a little time this afternoon so I gave some much needed attention to one of my "project" razors. The "Thistle Cut Co" cleaned up really nicely. About 30 minutes of sanding (600/800/1200/3000) and then another 30 minutes at the hones and the razor was good to go.
    "Black Bart" is another new scent, to me, that I recent got from WWSC. I wasn't sure how I would like the Anise scent present in this soap, but it was okay. Actually, by the end of the shave I was very pleased with the scent.
    The shave was a nice 2 pass DFS shave.
    Nite all.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 29, 2017
    Keithmax likes this.
  3. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

20171029 Sun@1830

Shaving Soap: Wild West Shaving Co "White Buffalo"
    Straight Razor: English "Bengall" 9/16" (1) WTG - XTG - WTG (face) WTG - XTG - WTG (neck)
    Stropping: Tony Miller 3" Fast Bridle Leather "Plain Chocolate" (40x Linen and 60x Leather)
    Balm: Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm

So... this was the other blade I worked on this weekend. "Bengall" razor made in England. Wedge, near wedge, I can't tell. But this razor had a definite different feel to it. After 3 passes I had DFS results, but no where near BBS (like some of my other razors). The edge was great. The blade slide smoothly over my face and the hair just disappeared. My upper lip and the area under my jaw seemed to be not as smooth as the rest of my face, when I was done. I will have to use this razor a few more times before I can give it my final opinion. Unlike a few of my other razors, where it was love at 1st shave, we will see.
    It was still a great end to a good weekend. Have a great week everyone.

[​IMG]

Keithmax likes this.
  4. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

20171031 Tue@0630

Shaving Soap: Wild West Shaving Co "Doc Holliday"
    Brush: Semogue 1305 Boar Brush (22 mm x 55 mm)
    Straight Razor: Dubl Duck "Special No 1" 5/8" (3) WTG - XTG - WTG (face) WTG - XTG - WTG (neck)
    Stropping: Tony Miller 3" Fast Bridle Leather "Plain Chocolate" (15x Linen and 25x Leather)
    Splash: Long Rifle "Bay Rhum"

Good Tuesday morning. Up early and so had a nice morning shave.Used another new scent (to me) from WWSC, "Doc Holliday" and was very pleased. I could easily reduce my soaps down to 4 brands and be totally happy.
    1. Wild West Shaving Co
    2. Mitchell's Wool Fat
    3. Tabac
    4. Long Rifle
    I may end up getting rid of everything else, just to make some room. The Duck left me with a BBS shave after 3 passes and was gliding effortlessly through my stubble. I think I am done buying soaps and razors for a while. I may pickup another brush, but I am really happy with what I have. Is this the end of my SAS/SRAD? Probably not, but we will see.
    Have a great day everyone!

[​IMG]

Keithmax likes this.
  5. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

20171102 Thu@0730

Shaving Soap: Wild West Shaving Co "Coffeyville, KS"
    Straight Razor: Dovo "Bismarck 2" 6/8" (3) WTG - XTG (face) WTG - XTG (neck)
    Stropping: Tony Miller 3" Fast Bridle Leather "Plain Chocolate" (15x Linen and 30x Leather)

I almost didn't have a straight razor shave this morning, but really decided to treat myself to one. So I stropped my Birthday "Bismarck 2" and tried a new (to me) WWSC scent ("Coffeyville, KS") and was not disappointed by their performance. Since I was pressed for time I was prepared to settle for a 2 pass DFS shave, but was rewarded with a 2 pass BBS shave, win/win. "Coffeyville, KS" had a great Irish Coffee scent that was a good way to start my morning.
    A have blessed day!

[​IMG]

Keithmax likes this.
  6. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

20171103 Fri@0730

Shaving Soap: Wild West Shaving Co "Special Reserve No1"
    Straight Razor: P.F. Ferriere "42 Honeless" 4/8" (1) WTG - XTG (face) WTG - XTG (neck)
    Stropping: Tony Miller 3" Fast Bridle Leather "Plain Chocolate" (15x Linen and 30x Leather)

This mornings shave was interesting. Last night I honed, rather "touched-up", what appeared to be a almost shave ready razor I received as a PIF. After examining it; the bevel seemed set and the blade had a very slight (less than 0.5 mm) frown. But the spine had almost no hone ware. So I took it to the 8k, then the 12 and then to the Black Arkansas. When I was done with the 8k the edge was mowing down arm hear like a champ. so I figured after the higher polishing stones and a quick stropping the razor would be ready for a morning test shave. I was wrong...
    Well after just half way down 1 check, I decided to stop. The tugging and resulting discomfort was much more than I wanted to deal with. So I switched over to the English "Bengall". This was not much better. I stopped after the 1st pass on one side of my neck. I regrouped and re-lathered then switched over to the "Bismarck 2". Now things went great. Completed 1 XTG pass with the "Bismarck 2" and was DFS.
    I will be working on a couple of restores this weekend and will e-hone these 2 razors as well.
    Have a great weekend.

mrchick, Keithmax and DaltonGang like this.
  7. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

My Bismarck 2 always delivers too. How many shaves is it now?

mrchick and Kokak like this.
  8. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

Bismarck = 4
    Total = I stopped counting at 40 and that was back on 8/28... so it would be safe to say about 100.

Keithmax and mrchick like this.
  9. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

20171104 Sat@0830

Prep: Stirling "Barbershop" Pre-Shave Oil
    Shaving Soap: Wild West Shaving Co "Kokak"
    Straight Razor: Hart Steel 6/8" (1) WTG - XTG - WTG (face) WTG - XTG - WTG (neck)
    Stropping: Tony Miller 3" Fast Bridle Leather "Plain Chocolate" (30x Linen and 50x Leather)
    Splash: Long Rifle "Bay Rhum"

So I received a few things yesterday. Soft and Translucent Arkansas stones. Soap order from Wild West Shave Company and a new (to me) Hart Steel 6/8" razor (with changeable black and wood scales).
    The razor is really nice. It is also the biggest blade I own. This thing is a hunk of steel. It came shave ready, but I decided to give it a touch-up on the new Arkansas stones. So I oiled up the new Translucent and Black stones and went to work. Very light, polishing passes on the translucent until I could feel a change in the resistance of the blade on the stone. Then the same thing on the Black Arkansas; light passes until I could feel a change in the resistance of the blade drawing across the stone. After some passes on the strop, the razor was ready for it's 1st shave with me. As I said before, this is the biggest razor I have used (so far). And it just slide across my face, effortlessly.
    The soap, scent, was a new one as well. Russ at WWC honored me by naming one of his new scents after my Forum alias; "Kokak". He even used my forum avatar for the label graphic. The scent was very nice and as always, the soap performed perfect.
    The stones also performed fantastic! I was able to produce the sharpest edge to date, with minimal effort. I also have determined that I prefer to hone with Oil (White Food Grade Mineral Oil) instead of water. It's just easier and less of a mess to work with (for me). So I will start to work on my Arkansas stone progression, this coming week. My plan is to use the Soft Ark for bevel setting. Then move to the Hard Ark for polishing. Then to the Translucent Ark for further polishing and lastly to the Black Ark as a finisher. I am in no big hurry and will set aside enough time, when honing. not to be rushed.
    Thanks for listening to my ramblings and have a blessed weekend.

[​IMG]

Keithmax likes this.
  10. Keithmax

I like my Hart Steel razor too. Big, manly blades.

Kokak likes this.
  11. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

When I 1st started with straight razors; I was always leaning towards smaller and light razors. Now I am finding I really like the large pieces. We will see where my tastes take me in the next 3 months...

Keithmax likes this.
  12. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

20171105 Sun@0630

Prep: Stirling "Unscented" Pre-Shave Oil
    Shaving Soap: Wild West Shaving Co "Tucson"
    Straight Razor: Thistle Cut Co. 7/8" (1) WTG - XTG - WTG (face) WTG - XTG - WTG (neck)
    Stropping: Tony Miller 3" Fast Bridle Leather "Plain Chocolate" (30x Linen and 50x Leather)
    Splash: Citrus & Sandalwood "Personal Blend"

Another new scent from WWSC and I like it. This is one of my favorite scents from WWSC. Light and clean, with a little a very subtle floral note. The wife likes it too. Last Friday; I was trying out the Soft Ark as a bevel setter by resetting the bevel on my Thistle Cut Co razor. The new bevel turned out good and the razor took on an even sharper edge than before. Once my a blade from; bevel to finish on just my Ark's.
    Have a great week.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
    Keithmax likes this.
  13. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

20171106 Mon@2030

Prep: Stirling "Unscented" Pre-Shave Oil
    Shaving Soap: Wild West Shaving Co "Tumbleweed"
    Brush: Stirling Boar Brush (24 mm x 57 mm)
    Straight Razor: Tanifuji "FAVORIT 750" 6/8" (22) WTG - XTG - WTG (face) WTG - XTG - WTG (neck)

There has to be something said about good steel with a fine edge! This is my 1st straight razor that I got from Kevin (@HolyRollah ) and it still as sharp as it was the 1st day. I have 22 shaves on this edge, with only maintaining it with a stropping before each shave and it is still going strong. Truly amazing Japanese steel. This evenings shave was quick and painless. WWSC's "Tumbleweed" scent has a really nice top note of leather (to me) and is just as great a performer as all of his other soaps.
    This was the perfect end to a good day.

[​IMG]

Keithmax and M14Shooter like this.
  14. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

20171108 Wed@0615

Prep: Stirling "Bergamot Lavender" Pre-Shave Oil
    Shaving Soap: Tabac
    Straight Razor: Dovo "Bismark 2" 6/8" (5) WTG - XTG - WTG (face) WTG - XTG - WTG (neck)
    Splash: none

I was up a little early this morning and in no rush to get out the door, so had a great morning shave with the "Bismarck 2" and Tabac. It was a fantastic 3 pass, BBS shave. Nothing much to report. I know the minute I say I have this down... I am going to slice my ear off.
    I hope everyone is having as good a day!

[​IMG]

Keithmax likes this.
  15. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

20171109 Thu@0650

Shaving Soap: Barrister & Mann "First Snow"
    Straight Razor: Dovo "Best Quality Black" 6/8" (1) WTG - XTG - WTG (face) WTG - XTG - WTG (neck)
    Splash: none

So wanted to see just how fast I could do a touch up on a razor with the Arkansas stones. I oiled up the Transparent and the Black for a handful of passes and came away with a very sharp edge. Now the edge was not dull by any means, but it was significantly better all the way down the blade. The resulting shave was comfortable, fast and left me with DFS results. All in all I spent about 15 minutes on the hones with it only taking a couple of minutes to setup and cleanup. This just further convinces me that working on the Arkansas stones, with oil, is going to be my regular honing setup. Even if my "net" time spent is going to be exactly the same as using the water stones. I am happy with the edge and just the way using these in the space I have, seems to be perfect (for me).
    Today I sued a soap I got in a PIF; B&M First Snow. The sent was really nice. A combination of leather and Evergreen (Fir). I typically don't care for Evergreen (smells too much like a car air-freshener), but this was subtle enough that it was a very pleasant surprise. What was more surprising was the slow, increasing awareness of menthol. It never over powered everything else, but it was there. All in all a great soap. Post shave feel... was so/so. Not as good as some of the other soaps I have come to use and have become my favorites.
    Good shave... with a good soap... for a good morning.

[​IMG]

Keithmax likes this.
  16. Keithmax

you have amassed quite the collection in a short time. :eatdrink047:

Kokak likes this.
  17. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

I am about to have a great purge... I think I have settled on a "type" of razor I want to use. Anything outside of that "type" will be sold.

18. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Well, do tell, what type are you settling on, and how many are you purging??

19. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

Well..

I currently have 42 razors, in various stages. Some ready to shave, some in need of honing and some needing scale replacement.
    As far as type...
    • 6/8" or larger
    • 1/4 to 1/2 ground
    • Jimps (prefer top and bottom)
    • 2.5" or longer blade
    So that leaves me with about 17, for now. Although even those 17 do not meet all the above criteria. So some of them will go at a later date.

Keithmax and DaltonGang like this.
  20. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

20171110 Fri@2030

Shaving Soap: Dapper Dragon "Terre Du Dragon"
    Straight Razor: Razor: Hart Steel 6/8" (1) WTG - XTG (face) WTG - XTG (neck)

So I worked on the bezel some more on the "Soft" Arkansas. I was able to see a marked improvement. I also taped the spine with a single layer of tape. I am not a big fan of taping the spine, I just don't get the same feedback, but understand it is needed with a few blades. After working on the "Soft" Ark for about 15 minutes the bevel was looking really good. Not perfect but better. I then went to the "Translucent" Ark and then the "Black" Ark and finished off on the strop. The edge was noticeably smoother. I still feel it could be better, but for my current honing technique was pretty good.
    I also received a few new soaps this week and tried the Dapper Dragon "Terre Du Dragon". This is a Vegan soap and was nice. The scent reminded me a Catie's Bubbles shave soap. It was easy to lather and provided nice cushioning. The post shave feel, was okay. Overall; it was a nice soap.
    Nice end to the week.

Keithmax likes this.