La Toja Manantiales Shaving Soap...

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by MikekiM, Oct 29, 2011.

1. MikekiM

MikekiM Well-Known Member

...has anyone tried it?

Love the packaging..curious about the formula.

2. DaveL

DaveL Active Member

I've used their shave stick. Nice lather and nice scent, it's a regular in my rotation.

3. MikekiM

Thanks Dave.. the stick and the regular soap are different formula's...

4. DaveL

DaveL Active Member

I didn't know that. Hmm, now I want to try a puck of the regular soap.

5. moz68

moz68 Well-Known Member

I have both the and it is hard for me to tell any difference. If anything the Manantiales has a richer lather and leaves the face feeling nicer but if only slightly better. Sorry, but nothing too different between the both. To me at least. It may be a Ymmv thing.

6. Gillu

Gillu Member

I have the stick too. It is a regular here in Spain and at €1 it's not going to break the bank. It is a good soap. I like the lather it produces. It is very thick. It has a kind of classic aftershave smell to it. Not my favourite to be honest, in terms of smell that is. It is more something my father might use. To cut a long story short, I would recommend the soap even though I am not that into the fragrance.

7. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

Well its been discontinued, I've been trying to decide if I should make an attempt at purchasing it but the price and small bowl really aren't doing it for me; but I digress.

8. MikekiM

I was able to pick up a "tub" of this last time I met Lee from Lee'sRazors..

Really nice soap. Worth the cost, though I was able to buy it before it was discontinued. Lee said he had a bunch and someone overseas snatched all of them.

The soap is a huge plug of thing.. standing about three and half inches tall and about the same in diameter. My first shave with it was with a well broken in Semogue 2010 Custom Boar and it whipped up beautifully. The lather is easy to modulate using a hydrate/whip/hydrate process. The scent is like a mild Geo.F.Trumpers Eucris.. a smokey almost burnt oak smell. I found Eucris over-powering but Manantiales is quite nice.

I find it to be plenty slick and my shaves, regardless of razor/blade selection, are quite comfortable.

The turned bamboo jar has a nice feel to and is a departure from the common low wood bowls, but the cork cover is kind of quirky.

One negative is that even the most balanced lather seems to dry down a bit quickly so you need to move.

Too bad this is discontinued as I would certainly buy it again. Why is it that so many of my favorites are discontinued?

9. Doryferon

Doryferon Well-Known Member

Yes that's right
    The soap can still be found in stock but the price is very high: 37.75 $
    Who dares these day's to take the risk?