Ladies

Discussion in 'Women's Shaving' started by IAmTheJody, Mar 29, 2011.

1. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Are there any instructional videos online for ladies shaving with DE razors? Similar to the Mantic videos? I've got a newly-found niece who is about to take her first plunge into DE wet shaving thanks to a pretty pink Lady Gillette and a pink Weishi I've PIFed her. But I can't even begin to instruct her on how to shave her legs and lady bits.

So... ?

2. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    DE techniques are pretty much the same for ladies as it is for gents.

Is your niece just starting out shaving?

3. IAmTheJody

No, she's been doing the cartridge thing for a long time now. I figure she's showing interest in DE because of our new relationship.. she's my sister's 25 year old daughter.. my sister that I recently found after having not seen her since I was 7 years old.. didn't even know had 2 daughters and a son, my nieces and nephew.. told y'all in that other thread, life has gotten complicated lately.. ha!

4. Queen of Blades

My goodness! :eek:
    I'm glad she is looking to connect with you. :happy088 That's awesome!

You'll do well I'd think just showing her the basics of using a DE; proper angle, no pressure, good lathering skills, etc, and helping her find what works for her; soap/cream, razor, blade, etc.

The (mens) shaving videos on youtube will help, too.

5. IAmTheJody

Yeah I guess I'm going to have to rely on Mantic's videos. She's in Louisiana and I'm in Mississippi so I can't be with her to show her myself. I'd much prefer to give her hands on "training" but the mileage.. if she doesn't have the hang of it by the time we're all supposed to get together, I'll try then for sure.

6. Queen of Blades

Keep us updated, and of course, she is welcome to join TSD and ask all the questions she wants.

7. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Yeah, that sounds hip...If she joins the Den, JoAnna and BG, and the rest of the community could help aswell...plus she could have the opportunity to make her own new friends around here, who could help aswell...:)

asleep2shave likes this.
  8. Jaymo

Jaymo Active Member

Jody, you could always learn to shave your legs and pits. I mean, swimmers and bodybuilders do it. Then you could teach her from an experienced perspective.

asleep2shave likes this.
  9. CRS

CRS Member

I believe this is a wonderful idea.

10. IAmTheJody

ha! How did I miss this?

I'll pass on shaving my legs and pits though! :happy102

11. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

Makes you faster... haha. Swimmers and bikers do it. :eek:

12. Shawna

Shawna 1000 Music Tag Bonus Points Awarded!

How is she coming along with her DE skills? :)

13. IAmTheJody

If I got any faster than I already am, the police would give me a ticket. :happy102

Very slowly. ha! She's ate up her legs a few times but says she's slowly getting the hang of it. I just remind her to not put pressure on the razor, don't dig it into her leg like she's used to with disposables, let the weight of the razor do the work - and she's coming along and getting better.

14. Queen of Blades

Ummm....there's a difference between "bikers" and "bicyclists", ya know? :happy097

15. IAmTheJody

Yeah, the Hell's Angels shave their arm pits. It's part of the initiation. :happy097

16. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

Not just the pits. They have to straight shave everything head to toe. Bald. :happy102

Bicyclists... bikers... pssh both should shave everything. :happy102

17. Bluesbishop

Bluesbishop Active Member

Maybe I'm the odd guy out... But living in Florida, I have shaved my underams since I've lived here...it's cleaner, fresher.... And makes using Alum under the arms much easier! I'm probably not as frequent as the ladies are on the forum, but at least once a week.... And I have found the LC New does a great job... Effortless and smooth.

18. Azarius

Azarius Must have had his WHEATies

:signs047:

Back on topic, there does seem to be a lack of instructional videos for the ladies. Maybe some of ours could make a YouTube Channel to help teach other women the techniques that are now a thing of the past for most women.

tomnat likes this.
  19. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

IA, there really isn't much. Granted, many of the basics (like how to build lather) are the same for men & women, but I do think it would help some women to see another woman showing them.

GDCarrington likes this.
  20. Barber Eile

Barber Eile Member

I've been meaning to make these videos to go with my blog for about a year now as I've had a ton of people ask me for them - gah!
    I need to get off my behind and do them!

Also - a lot of guys shave their underarms or at least trim them down. t's really not that unusual.