Lambda Athena razor? Good, bad, or other?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by sidpost, Feb 7, 2023.

Tags:
  1. sidpost

sidpost Active Member

At 200€, this is a rather spendy razor for most people. This price point opens up a lot of options and, a much smaller group of people who would consider this cost for a razor. Also, anyone spending this much is going to have some or a lot of bias which leads me to question the glowing reviews I have seen.

The marine brass is attractive to me and the weight seems to be similar to stainless steel razors. My new razors are both stainless steel, and I like the weight and general feel. I think the weight lets the razor head work better with a 'light touch' which is working well for me.

How does this razor shave for owners? Where does it fit in the mix of aggressiveness? More than a DE89/R89 and less than a Muhle R41? For aggressiveness, something like a Muhle Rocca or Edwin Jagger 3one6 razor is the right aggressiveness range for me.

What experiences do users have with this razor?

TIA,
    Sid

2. sidpost

sidpost Active Member

3. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Can't speak for this razor but once you get into this price range a razor I can recommend is a Rex Ambassador. Those shave similar to a Gibbs adjustable which is the inspiration for that razor design.

4. sidpost

sidpost Active Member

Yes, if your budget is $200 or a bit more, there are a lot of good razors to consider. I was looking at the Razorock razors and a thread I was reading mentioned these.

While about 3 times the cost of a stainless Razorock, it is reasonably close to the stainless Muhle R41 I had been looking for. I am debating selling my Muhle Rocca so, that with the cost of a Stainless R41, the Lambda Athena is probably not as unreasonable as I originally thought price-wise.

While I like the Rocca a lot, it and the R41 are pretty close to each other. Funny thing is, while I don't shave with the R41 much, I have found it is simply awesome for trimming around my ears after a haircut and is great for trimming my neckline when my shirt collar starts to fill up and I don't have time for a haircut!

5. CCS

CCS New Member

I almost bought an Athena and I like Lambda's story. That said, I really decided I just don't like the looks of the razor aside from having no space or room for yet another razor. I've got 15 good to great razors in rotation and that means, if I use them in equal rotation, that's 2 days a month per razor. As it is, I use about 7-8 regularly and the remaining ones, rarely.

BTW, for any who own a Rocca (mine is the birch handle), they exhibit the same "jet" clean action of the Lambdas under the tap. I also get that effect with my Gillette Old Type (restored by Back Roads Gold).

sidpost likes this.
  6. sidpost

sidpost Active Member

Aesthetics are pretty personal so, I can see that being a turn-off to some. Personally, I have mixed feelings about the handle on the Athena, and the Greek "Column" handle of the Ares is a pretty hard NO for me because of a similar handle with the straight ridges that was very slippery to me during my shaves.

7. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    The material it is made from is what more razors ought to be made from. Aluminum brass, aka ghost bronze. The aluminum oxide that will form ought to give it a whitish tarnish in the spots where it is not handled often. It also self lubricates, which ought to make the threading connections fairly smooth.

It's kind of like a self anodizing brass.

macaronus likes this.
  8. sidpost

sidpost Active Member

• Nickel Aluminum Bronze Alloy
    • Used for Marine Applications
    • Not just Plain Old Brass
    From their website. :eatdrink047:

PLANofMAN likes this.
  9. tonich

tonich Well-Known Member

Other

10. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Based upon what I've read the Ares open comb is supposed to be like a Muhle R41 but milder. Athena milder than an Ares but still very efficient and plenty of blade feel. Also in typical fashion almost every vocal user for the razor had theirs up for sale on a BST not longer afterwards. Guys who skew modern tend to favor wimpy razors and that they are saying how great the razor is then selling it tells me if nothing else these razors are not wimpy.

Also you have to keep in mind that the razor also comes with a wooden case for that price. When you factor that that would retail probably around $100 USD the razor itself is actually competing against razors without the extras at about $100 USD.

11. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

You can always put a different handle on it.

12. sidpost

sidpost Active Member

Yes, but finding one in marine brass is going to be hard. Other materials won't match the finish on the head.

13. huck1680

huck1680 Great Northern CanUkrainian

It is a brilliant razor. My all-time favourite. Gorgeous, efficient, mild and beautifully presented. And for me, the handle is not slippery but I do have a towel handy ....just in case.

macaronus likes this.
  14. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

Gone are the days of dime store razors. That is a serious tool. Beautiful.

huck1680 and macaronus like this.