Last Year USA Made 1988 Code I-1 Super Speed

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Bill G, Apr 21, 2022.

1. Bill G

Bill G Well-Known Member

I picked up this NOS last year USA made code I-1 1988 Black Handle Super Speed to add to my Gillette collection. It’s a pretty cool looking Super Speed and has the square/rectangle base plate started in 1978 production of these razors.

This razor is a hair lighter because the black part of the handle is aluminum. I know a lot of folks already know this concerning black handle Super Speeds.

Happy Shaves,
    Bill G

E1C22430-C6D4-4CB0-98AA-C353C16D246B.jpeg 37BF6873-2DE2-4230-A53F-6F1774412393.jpeg 6EF96EDC-EA63-4E1A-90C4-D17978F35E8D.jpeg 728D6F2E-A8CE-48BC-87AF-B6BFDBBE3794.jpeg

Last edited: Apr 21, 2022
  2. kfbrady

kfbrady Well-Known Member

Nice find.

I have a cased V1-'75. It weighs in at 48g, quite a bit less than my '56 Red Tip at 64g, or '55 Flare Tip at 58g.

It's probably my least favourite SS. :(

Ijustmissedthe50s and Bill G like this.
  3. Bill G

Bill G Well-Known Member

There is for sure different ranges of weight between the different model Super Speed razors. I on the other hand tend to like or don’t mind the lighter razors.

Bill G

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  4. Angelo85

Angelo85 Well-Known Member

I own a birth year & quarter (4th quarter 1985) Super Speed myself. I enjoy using it from time to time; it can be aggressive with certain blades but still delivers an excellent shave.

5. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I've had a few of the later ones but couldn't ever bring myself to use them.

6. brit

brit in a box

very cool.if i had of been steered in the right direction in the early 80s i could well of used one.;)waffle pattern on handle.nice find.

7. Bill G

Bill G Well-Known Member

I really enjoyed the first shave with it. It was easy to control and gave a great shave very similar to my 1957 Super Speed. I will continue to keep it in my shave razor rotation.

I decided the other day to shave with all of my Gillettes that I like. I do go up and above to take care of them so they will all look good and last a lifetime or so.

Happy Shaves,
    Bill G

Ijustmissedthe50s, gorgo2 and brit like this.
  8. Bill G

Bill G Well-Known Member

Thanks

I also like the waffle handle it has a nice feel in hand and use.

Happy Shaves,
    Bill G

Ijustmissedthe50s and brit like this.