"Lather Catcher" Sundays

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Hogie, Sep 25, 2022.

1. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

Razor - 1907 Ever Ready "Lather Catcher"
    Blade - GEM Personna SS (3)
    Pre-shave - Proraso Blue
    Soap - The Dead Sea
    Brush - Simpson Commodore badger
    Post shave - Thayers Toner "Lavender" & Captain's Choice "Venture" balm
    AS - Pinaud "Whiskey Woods"

I showered before bed so, I washed and warmed face with HOT washcloth while warming the skupper & brush. Filled skupper inside and aslo the bowl with HOT water. Spoon measured a dab of soap and it worked to a nice lather rather easily. I worked it in the bowl and then continued to work it on my face to make it really creamy and slick. No bits left on bottom of the skupper when I rinsed it out. The lather catcher gave a most pleasant shave that I could have stopped at one pass but, I did a 2-pass WTG & ATG with no cleanup. I also did the dome with same razor. Smooth all around! No cuts, nicks, or weepers. Alum bar was silent again! AS didn't even tingle.

This razor give such nice feedback and I can see why it is called "Lather Catcher". I can do one whole side of my face and it catches all the lather. Really nice! LOTS of feedback as well. It is the loudest razor I own!

A most pleasant "Lather Catcher" Sunday shave!

DSCN0227.JPG DSCN0221.JPG
    DSCN0228.JPG

2. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    [​IMG]
    Lather Catcher Sunday's Cold Water Shave

Cold Water Rinse
    Old Spice Shave Cream
    Jayaruh #395 Badger
    J.A. Henckels Rapide
    J.A. Henckels Wedge
    CWR
    Lustray Spice AS

I've been doing Lather Catcher Sundays for years. I rotate through seven lather catchers. I have some printed lather catchers that are not listed. Today, the Henckels is up.

1. 1902 Kampfe Brothers/Star LC
    2. Superior Lather Catcher
    3. C.V. Heljestrand Lather Catcher
    4. Gem Jr. Bar Lather Catcher
    5. 1907 Gem Jr. Lather Catcher
    6. J.A. Henckels Rapide
    7. Ever-Ready Lather Catcher

The Old Spice Shave Cream lathered well with the Jayaruh #395 Badger brush. Two passes and touch ups with the J.A. Henckels Rapide Lather Catcher and the J.A. Henckels Wedge Blade gave me a close, comfortable shave. After a cold water rinse I finished off with Lustray Spice AS. I am clean, smooth, and refreshed...

3. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

I drool over your lather catchers. I only have one but, it is a nice one. I can see why they are liked so much!

4. Frank Shaves

Frank Shaves Well-Known Member

Beautiful razor and nice Seiko 5. :happy088:

Ron R and Hogie like this.
  5. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

I like my Seiko 5 but, it does gain about a minute a day. Self-winder I also have a Seiko Solar but, I save that for dress.

Frank Shaves likes this.
  6. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

Razor - Ever-Ready "Lather Catcher"
    Blade - fresh GEM Personna SS
    Soap - TOBS "Mr Taylor's Shaving Cream"
    Pre-shave - Proraso Red
    Brush - Perfecto
    Post-shave - Thayers Toner with witch hazel "Lavender"& Geo F Trumper Skinfood
    AS - Pinaud Clubman

I got in a hurry and did not spend enough time softening the 2-day growth. I warmed the Scupper mug and brush with HOT water and warmed face with HOT washcloth (but not long enough). TOBS is always easy to whip to a nice lather. I did a 2-pass shave with no cleanup WTG & ATG. The first pass really tugged and I could feel the irritation with the first face rinse. Re-applied and did second pass that was more pleasant but, the damage was done! Alum bar gave considerable feedback and I had 3 small weepers. Leak stopper took care of them. Nice close shave but, I will not go fast again!

DSCN0340.JPG

Ijustmissedthe50s and Ron R like this.
  7. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

Here we are at another Lather Catcher Sunday! Theo was a bit upset with me because I left this morning for a couple hours to run to my little sister to give her some extra meat I had in my freezer. I had coffee and chatted for a while. He was not happy with daddy when I got home and so, he did not jump onto the counter. But, he did come to the bathroom and lay on the towels I put down outside the shower just to keep an eye one me!

Razor - 1907 Ever-Ready "Lather Catcher"
    Blade - GEM Persona SS (1)
    Soap - Castle Forbes "Lavender"
    Pre-shave - Proraso Blue
    Brush - Simpson "Commodore" pure badger
    Post-shave - Thayers Toner with witch hazel "Lavender" & Proraso Balm
    AS - Proraso

Another LOUD shave with the lather catcher. This is most definitely NOT a beginner's razor! It is very good at mowing down the whiskers. I did a 2-pass shave WTG & ATG. No cuts, nicks, or weepers. Alum bar was silent.

This is my favorite vintage single edge razor. I think the blade is a cheep knock-off though. It came with 2 blades and this is the second one. I may have to bin this one soon! This was only the second shave with it and it is already tugging! I got thru the shave without mishap. I will see how it does in my MMBT tomorrow.

Overall, a very pleasant shave!

DSCN0564.JPG DSCN0567.JPG

Ijustmissedthe50s and Ron R like this.
  8. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

ASRazor shave, November 14th, 2022

Razor : Star bar #4 model lather catcher(Rare)- Mfg 1929-30, upper mild>tame mid range depending on blade # usage, a new blade and this razor performs very nicely. Built to last with some care, very enjoyable drama free shave this morning(the kind we all enjoy)! Favorite lather catcher of 3 I own.
    Blade : Gem Personna SS PTFE(1) very sharp, excellent longevity, smooths out nicely, predictable + safest blade to handle.
    Soap : Ogallala Bayrum & sandalwood, nice Bayrum scent with some clove + excellent lather qualities(slightly pastier side on a wet face works well for myself). Very affordable.
    Brush : Yaqi "Viper" 24mm boar bristle hair- excellent lather generator, soft split end bristles, excellent splay scrubber + great lather painter. Very enjoyable boar brush.
    Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
    Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
    Post shave :Witch hazel beard cleanse + Ogallala Bayrum & Sandalwood (some clove)[​IMG]+ a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
    Results :CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + no weepers=[​IMG] Excellent shave with my Star bar #4 lather catcher with a Gem coated blade.
    [​IMG]

Have some great shaves!

Hogie likes this.
  9. ischiapp

ischiapp New Product Bloodhound

Can I join the club?

GEM 1910 "Junior Bar"
    [​IMG]

Star 1907 Kampfe Bros New Model
    [​IMG]

Zwillingswerk Wotan by J.A. Henckels
    [​IMG]

C.V. Heljestrand (Eskilstuna)
    [​IMG]

Wilkinson Sword 7 Days Empire
    [​IMG]

10. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

ASRazor shave, Tuesday, November 15th 2022

Razor : Gem Junior Bar lather catcher- Mfg 1907-11, excellent mild>tame mid range, this razor has been around in time yet it performs very well, excellent razor to use on the 1-3 shaves with a new blade IMO. Built to last with some care and just a joy to use with a 120 + year old razor.[​IMG]
    Blade : Gem Personna SS PTFE(2) very sharp, excellent longevity, smooths out nicely, predictable + safest razor blade to handle.
    Soap : Ogallala Bayrum sage & cedarwood, nice Bayrum scent with some clove + excellent lather qualities. I like a slightly pastier lather applied to a wet face does the job every time with no drama.
    Brush : Yaqi "Cavern lake" 24mm Tuxedo knot, excellent lather generator, cloud like soft tips, nice splay scrubber + excellent lather painter.
    Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
    Post shave : Ogallala Bayrum + Sandalwood (some clove) AS [​IMG] + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
    Results :CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=[​IMG] Excellent shave with my Gem Jr bar with a coated Gem blade.
    [​IMG]
    Have some great shaves!

Hogie likes this.
  11. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

But today is Tuesday! :p
    I have that same razor. Gives a great shave!

Ron R likes this.
  12. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

It's Lather Catcher Sunday again! I had a 3-day growth to mow down and the Ever Ready did the job well!

Razor - Ever Ready Lather Catcher (1907)
    Blade - GEM Personna SS (5)
    Soap - Captain's Choice "Venture"
    Brush - Simpson T2 Trafalgar synthetic
    Pre-shave - Proraso Blue
    Post-shave - Thayers Toner "Lavender" & Captain's Choice "Venture" balm
    AS - Pinaud Clubman

Cold morning! Nice to have warm lather on a day like this. It's a day to do nothing! I am almost done with my wood. Gonna be windy today (gusts to 20mph). Washed my face and warmed it with HOT washcloth while I warmed the scupper mug and brush with HOT water. I did a 2-pass shave with no cleanup. If anything is left after 2 passes, it can be dealt with during the next shave. That seems to keep me from having irritation from too many passes. Ya gotta know when it's good enuff and when to quit. Alum bar gave zero feedback! No cuts, nicks, or weeper. I am smooth faced once again and ready for a relaxing day watching the snow blow around outside.

DSCN1515.JPG

Last edited: Nov 20, 2022
    brit and Ron R like this.
  13. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Yesterday's shave was with my Loudest and best shaver. Like @Hogie this ER Lather Catcher could wake up those sleeping in the next room. That "scraping toast" sound of annihilating whiskers, sounds like a sound effect from a Three Stooges movie when Curly was using a Str8! Lol.

Sundays Shave is rated off the charts.

Prep: Hot water rinse.
    Soap: Arko stick.
    Brush: Civil War copy, Badger by Jayaruh
    Razor: ER Lather Catcher with metal handle with the Blade stropper attachment in the end of the handle.
    Blade: GEM stainless
    IMG_20221205_135243.jpg

Here's a snap shot of the Badger Masterpiece Jim, Jayaruh made for me. It's a copy of a Civil War Shaving Brush....It's my favourite brush in the World...Jayaruh is a true Artist!

IMG_20221205_141005.jpg

Last edited: Dec 5, 2022
    Hogie and Ron R like this.
  14. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Very interesting brush Jim made up for you, he is talented alright. I bowl lather and the thick string would dampen any side clanging of the bowl I'm thinking and prevent cracking of wood over time.

15. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

Yes, my lather catcher is one of my favorites. I will have to dig mine out again. I have been trying to use some of my other razors for now.

I will shower and shave today. I have a 4-day growth to mow down. I have gotten lazy for wither. LOL

Ron R likes this.
  16. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

ASRazor shave, Tuesday, December 27th 2022

Razor : Star bar #4 lather catcher, Mfg 1919-20, excellent tame mid range, Well designed and built to last many generations with some care. This is one of the best shaves a person can get with a new blade IMO. It just was made perfect for my shaving needs. If a person gets a chance to find one "buy it" is my advice + it looks beautiful also!
    Blade : Gem Personna SS PTFE(1) very sharp, excellent longevity, smooths out nicely, predictable + safest blade to handle.
    Soap : La Toja stick, very mild scent + excellent lather qualities.
    Brush : Yaqi " Sagrada Familia" 2 band badger, excellent lather generator, soft pillow like tips, great splay scrubber, excellent lather painter.
    Post shave : Fine fresh Vetiver with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
    Results : CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=[​IMG] Excellent shave with my Star Bar #4 lather catcher with a coated Gem blade.
    [​IMG]
    Have some great shaves!

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.