Lathering on the face and not making a mess

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Capt America, Jun 3, 2007.

1. Capt America

Capt America Member

Is it possible? Or just wishful thinking on my behalf?

Discuss.

When I lather on my face, I make a huge mess myself.

2. Spirit_of_76

Spirit_of_76 Yardley Ninja

Sure it's possible, in my personal experience I think it's preferable. However, I think this is one of those YMMV things, there are staunch supporters of face lathering and there are equally staunch supporters in the bowl lathering camp.
    Often you will find that many people start out with one method exclusively and then as their technique improves they switch and the new method becomes the best thing they've ever encountered. Is this down to cumulative experience or the technique itself? Personally, I think it's the former. When you start with a set routine things improve gradually and you tend not to notice, then once you introduce a new method things have changed and you notice the difference. I think if you read through various face vs. bowl lathering threads you will find more often than not people start with one type and then become devotees of the other method when they switch.
    As for benefits I think that bowl lathering is good for a beginner because it allows you to more easily monitor how much water and/ or cream/ soap you are using at any given time and therefore you can develop a better understanding of cream/ soap to water ratios work. Sure you can do this on your face but I find it more precise in a bowl.
    Also, like you say it is slightly less messy when using a bowl, particularly when starting out.
    As far as face lathering goes I find that I am able to work the lather into my beard much more effectively using this method. Because you are not whipping the lather up in a separate vessel, it emulsifies on your face and helps to raise the individual bristles more effectively.
    On top of that, if you have more than a couple days growth, your beard helps further agitate the mix making a better lather IMO.
    If you're making a big mess when face lathering you might consider looking at a smaller brush <23mm (if you don't use one already, that is.) Also, try shaking more water out of your brush when lathering and wetting your face, rather than having all of the water in your brush.
    Hope this helps,
    Alex

3. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

Ive been working with this lately.
    Best results come from a DAMP, not wet, brush.
    Soak brush in hot water and really shake it out.
    Load brush with soap and build lather on your face.
    Lather will be dry so add dropfuls of hot water to the BREECH, not the tips.
    That water will send lather down to the tips where you need it.

4. Spirit_of_76

Spirit_of_76 Yardley Ninja

I've noticed this myself as of late. When the brush is slightly drier, the lather tends to stay nearer the top of the bristles, rather than right down in the breech. For me this means that the lather is easier to apply and is less likely to wash out of the brush before I have even finished my first pass.
    Regards,
    Alex

5. Will

Will Nevermind

I never had a problem lathering on the face, when I do it in a bowl I make a mess.

Soap, Cream, it dose not matter.

6. Will

Will Nevermind

I never had a problem lathering on the face, when I do it in a bowl I make a mess.

Soap, Cream, it dose not matter.

It may have to do with the water like stated above.

I just take the brush, shake the water out (still wet just not dripping) swirl on soap then of face.

7. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

I like lathering in the bowl. I get to control the variables little better and avoid the face mess. I will however, hand smooth my pre-lather and cleanup passes right on my face without the brush. The cleanup lather is all that nice lather I gently squeeze out of the brush. There's never a shortage of bowls unoess I am on a trip. That's where a shave stick comes in real handy.

8. msandoval858

msandoval858 Active Member

I lather on the face with all my soaps and have had nothing but good results. I usually start with the brush a little on the dry side (soaked for 1 - 2 min then shaken out), get it loaded up on the soap, then go directly to the face. If I need additional water I lightly dip the tips of the brush in hot water and then back to the face. That technique keeps it from overloading with water and making a mess or cutting the lather too thin.

I prefer to lather creams in a bowl as they require a little more attention to get the water right, at least for me it does. I probably only use creams a few times a month when I'm trying out something new.

Of course with Method Shaving there is some variation. I start the lather process in the open palm of my left hand to get the mix of paste and cube slag consistant before finishing the later on my face.

9. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Splash around

Its like cooking/baking.......those who make the biggest mess produce the best result.

No joke.....

Personally, I lather on the face 97%+ of the time, and admittedly, I make a HUGE mess. Lather and water splashes everywhere, including but not limited to:
    • My body
    • The mirror
    • The Sink
    • The toothpaste tube
    • Anything else thats in a 5-foot radius
    Remedy: I keep a hand towel in the bathroom specifically for "cleaning" up after the shave.

Mike Brown likes this.
  10. Will

Will Nevermind

Always knew you were a messy baby :rofl

11. Capt America

Capt America Member

Haha, good to know someone is in the same boat as me atleast...

12. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Me too, that's why I don't do it. It's not my bathroom!

13. Will

Will Nevermind

Isn't that more of a reason to do it?

14. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

No, because, I'm the only one that shaves in the morning and it's too easy to point fingers especially with badge records and video records to back up when I was in there. :D Besides there are signs posted near the sinks that say, "Please clean up after yourself." :(

15. Will

Will Nevermind

You need a security clearence to use the restroom. :confused: Must be one nice place.

16. DragonBoy

DragonBoy Team Player

I basically lather directly on my face everyday - without any mess.. I think the secret lies in - less water in brush.. As other gents have pointed out..

What I do is to add water into the brush by dipping the point.. And contiusly work the brush - and not pressing too hard on the brush (if you press you just squeze the water out) Gentle circular motions is the key..

I dont even make a mess in my soap-bowls..

Just my thoughts about the subject..

17. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Just to get in the building but there are monitored cameras everywhere except the Fit Zone and locker rooms. The cameras are in the hallway leading to the Fit Zone though. :D

18. Will

Will Nevermind

For a second I thougt a security guard may C.U.P :rofl

19. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Nah, one look at my naked hairy back shaving at the sink is enough to traumatize them for life. Would you want to see that in the monitor? :rofl

20. fritz

fritz New Member

A long time ago...

Well, to get back to where we were... I lather BOTH in the bowl and on my face. So there! And I don't mean in alternate shaves, either. I start the lather in the bowl, and at the "right" point I apply the brush to my wet face and continue lathering. At least another 45 seconds or so on the first pass; subsequent passes a little less is needed. Helps to soften the beard and rub the lather in good, forces you to waste some time while it soaks in, and just feels good, too! Especially with my BK12!:happy108