Lathering on the face and not making a mess

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Capt America, Jun 3, 2007.

1. Capt America

Capt America Member

Hmm, interesting fritz. I may end up trying that method sometime...

2. Rufus

Rufus New Member

I lather directly on my face and don't make a mess; the secret is not to have a very wet brush. I've stopped lathering in a bowl because that's where things really get messy for me. Each to his own.

3. jramire2

jramire2 Member

The soap I'm using usually determines whether I lather on my face or in a bowl. Mama Bears and HBS I can lather in a bowl, L'Occitane Cade and Ogallala bay rum soaps I tend to get a better lather if I build it on my face.

IF I'm lathering on my face, I use my Simpson Major, albeit it sheds like mad. I find the short loft and small knot helps keep the messiness down to a minimum. So I'm sure it's obvious, but a small brush helps w/face lathering messiness.

~Joshua

4. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Going to have to lather on my face for the Ogallala Bay Rum soaps. Doesn't work very well otherwise.

5. Capt America

Capt America Member

I'm pretty much the opposite... I usually always lather in a bowl, but when I do lather on the face I prefer to do it with my glycerin soaps.

6. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

I have tried both methods. I achieve best results using a bowl mostly due to the fact that I prefer creams not that you can not lather creams on your face. I do spend time lathering on my face once I create my lather in a bowl. In addition, all of my brushes are soft and fo not work well with soaps. I am working on getting a new brush more suitable for soaps.

Raf

7. jramire2

jramire2 Member

I don't know why I didn't think of this before, but I tried a combo of KMF unscented and ogallala bay rum soap this morning. While I showered, I soaked my brush in a bowl and added water to my soap container so it was just slightly above the soap puck. Then I poured the water off of the soap, shook out almost all of the water from the brush, and then charged the brush up really good. Then I moved over to a bowl where I added 2 pumps of KMF unscented and more water a few drops at a time.

All in all, it was an excellent shave. After the second pass I did have to add another pump of KMF b/c the lather was still disappearing a bit once I put it on my face. But outside of that I got a great shave. Much denser lather than with just the soap, but still had the great scent and excellent slickness. The only thing I would've changed would be to ONLY add a few drops of water to the top of the puck while I showered, instead of covering the entire puck w/water. The water I poured off the puck was brown like the soap, probably wasted a bit.

I also have some bay rum w/lime cream from SCS and some bay rum cream from Olivia that I might try w/the Ogallala soap in the future. But honestly, the scent of this soap is THE best part, and I didn't want to muddy up the scent by adding another bay rum product.

I have several bay rum products, this soap (combined w/KMF to help w/its performance) and HBS bay rum soap are my favorites. The scents and performance are very different, but they both smell great in their own way. I can't put my finger on what's in the ogallala stuff that makes it smell so good, but it's definitely on the sweeter smelling side than the HBS.

Another guy over on B&B gave me the idea, I think he brought this soap back from the dead for me. Yes I know the idea of superlather's been done before, but I don't think anyone's tried it w/this specific soap. I know only a few people have actually tried this soap and were quickly disappointed b/c of it's poor lather. Hopefully this will help out those of us that have already bought it.

I also have some ems place unscented liquid shaving cream. I'll try a combo of Ems and this soap as well and report back.

~Joshua

8. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

I agree with you Joshua. I had posted in another SOS thread that this is a great superlather candidate and had done that in the past. It's a dead lather soap unless you help it out. Glad it worked for you.